The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Holset vs garrett divided turbine housing pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceedawg

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2002
laurelton, New_York
Here are the participants that I have compared:

From left to right:

T4 Garrett .70AR , T3 Garrett .84AR, T3 18.5cm Holset, T3 16cm Holset, T3 14cm Holset

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

16cm T3 holset,T3 Garrett AR.84,T3 18.5cm Holset.

What I noticed is that the 16cm housing physically looks the same size as the .84 t3 Garrett housing while the 18.5 cm holset is is bigger than both.

The 18.5cm housing is bigger than this .84 Garrett and I'd go out on a limb and say it's somewhere between .89 to 1.00 AR or less than 1.00. Perfect for what I'm looking for!:D

Remember the Garrett housing is a divided t3 housing as well as the Holset housings.

This is the T4 .70AR Garrett turbine (Top) vs the 14cm holset(bottom)

The inlet on the Garrett T4 .70AR housing is obviously bigger than the opening on all the T3 turbos but after the inlet when I compare the body of the T4 .70AR Garrett to the T3 14cm housing, the 14cm dimensions and volume look much bigger than this large inlet T4 .70 AR Garrett housing,
but this is not to necessarily say the 14cm housing flows more than the T4 .70AR garrett housing.

I would go out on a limb and dare to say that the T3 14cm Holset housing would be somewhere between a .70 AR and .80 AR divided garrett housing especially when I also compare the 14 cm T3 holset housing to the divided .84AR Garrett T3 housing. It's not as big as the Garrett.84 but close

Well my 14cm T3 housing has been custom bored to fit on the turbine side of my HX40. It won't fit in the 18.5 or 16 cm housings.

I am going to have the 18.5cm and the 16cm housing bored out to fit the HX40 as well because it seems that these were purpose made to fit the HX35 turbine wheel.

When I tried to see if the Garrett housings would fit,to my surprise the fins on the HX40 exducer side of the HX40 turbine wheel was too big. This means that the turbine entrance of the T4.70AR and the T3 .84 Garrett turbine housings are too small to fit the HX40 turbine wheel. Nice.

The turbine wheel on the HX 40 is pretty big I guess perhaps compared to a turbo like a GT30r or even a GT35r.:thumb:

I will test all of the holset turbine housings once I purchase my divided exh mani and my Buschur Racing Race FMIC.

I also plan on welding 3"V-band flanges on all three of these Holset turbine housings!:thumb:

$$$$,wife,kids and many other responsibilities is the delay!:notgood::thumb:

In conclusion to my Turbine housing posts,I am hoping that the 16 or18.5cm housing will give me the 3 desired results I'm looking for.Nice spoolup

nice dyno #'s

and some wicked topend power

I'm sure the 14cm would make the car a monster down low and perhaps midrange and topend, but I'm opting to start with the 18.5cm and compare #'s to the 16cm.

I want to how these turbine housings will make the beast perform especially compared to my friends STi which has a GT30 or 35r with a .83 garrett undivided housing making 420whp at 24lbs of boost..:thumb:

Ceedawg. When you got the TH machined for the HX40 did they also make a nice exducer radius like the housing's have standard? I'm about to get a T4 garret hosuing machined for a H1E to hold me over for a year or so and was just wondering about that if it even really matters all that much.

Ceedawg. When you got the TH machined for the HX40 did they also make a nice exducer radius like the housing's have standard? I'm about to get a T4 garret hosuing machined for a H1E to hold me over for a year or so and was just wondering about that if it even really matters all that much.
I have not got anything done as yet. There is a guy in the 3rd holset thread that actually has a Garrett TH that was machined to work on his hx40. I wish I could find the post and the pic he posted. He basically gave me the idea. Just have not attempted anything yet,thanks to my wife and things needed for the house.:cry:

I hear ya on the wife/house thing. I just got a new house just over a month ago. I didn't think about things like not having a yard or having to get cable, telephone ran to the house. A nice yard is freaking expensive. I can easily spend more money on my lawn than my entire car. Well at least close to it. I'm looking to spend like 4K on my lawn and 8K on my basement next year. I'll be lucky if I get to spend 3K on my talon next year.

5000 for a lawn mower??? A true DSMer would have clipped his lawn with scissors if he had to :p :)

I'm really interested in getting a little t3 .48 a/r housing on one of these h1e turbos as well. . . What is the name of the shop that does this work?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back