The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Holset Turbo Information

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gst18

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 3, 2005
Madison Heights, Michigan
Ive been looking everywhere for information on these turbo's and i cant find much besides the Holset Turbo Threads on this site and the Holset web site(doesnt give much info)
I have a few questions about the turbo i purchased.
Here is the model and information

Cummins 6CTA Holeset H1E Turbo

Part Number: 3802257RX

I already know a bit about it but would like to know a little more. I have read that many Hx40's differ from one another so i would like to know more about the model that i have.
For example: I would also like to find a compressor map for this turbo.

Thank you

Hi, I work for Cummins and I personally see H1E's all the time.

They are primarily used on 5.9L cummins engines, and are in no way comparable to a Holset HX40.

The H1E/H1C's that I see all the time, the compressor wheels are comparable in size to a 20g compressor wheel.

Where you will run into problems is the size of the exhaust housing. Look into the turbine inlet area for a numerical stamp. That number will be the cm2 size of the choke area.

Under 10cm2 is boostable on a 4 cylinder, over 10cm2 is way laggy.

Good luck

Well i did research on it and it said it came off of a 6CTA diesel engine which is a 8.3 liter engine.
Here are some pictures of it.

I heard of people saying that they are comparable to the hx40?

Any other inputs?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

There is quite a range of H1E's out there. Some are comparable to an Hx40, some aren't. My dad got an H1E off ebay for one of his farm diesels, a 436 International, and the turbine wheel was ~5mm larger than my 65mm HX40 exhaust housing he was hoping to swap onto it. I don't have any way of finding out which one you have.

So i called Cummins up and asked them a few questions..
Heres what they told me

48 Exducer
69 Inducer
22 cm Turbine Housing...

Can anyone tell me about how laggy this will be? I know there will be a lot of factors to consider but i want a ball park guess.

I plan on using the same twin scroll turbine housing with a custome manifold im making that will be divided with a twin scroll discharge.

Here are some pics of my hx-40 pro version (6-blades on the compressor wheel)

Next to the 14b

Next to the gt30r (and after a little bit of polishing)

The size of yours looks comparable to mine if you ask me. LOL.

Keylan

Hahaha, ya but for some reason mine looks bigger:p . Just wondering why yours has 6 blades? I know they range from 6 to 8 but what is the advantage or having more or less blades?

Btw what are your wheel sizes.

Does anyone have a graph with different wheel sizes for these turbos?

22cm^2 turbine housing is going to be completely unusable for you. It's ridiculously large. If you think about the displacement of the engine it came off of, think about it on a 2L... For what it's worth, a 12cm^2 turbine housing is 0.89a/r.

Yeah mine had an 18cm^2 and I just recently bought a bullseye t3 mitsu o2 flanged exhaust housing. Granted it is probably gonna be too small, it is still a lot better than that freaking 18cm^2 that I had before that wouldnt even let me test fit the turbo becuase it hit the block where the balance shaft hump is. LOL. I will show you comparison pics later tonight or tomorrow of the 2 housings.

Keylan

As far as size of the wheels I believe my compressor wheel is 60mm and it is the pro version which is why it has 6 blades. I think you get a little more performance out of the 6 blade.

too bad you cut the v band part off...I just threw away a holset hx40 aluminum 90* vband elbow with a oring and I patrol the wanted ads.....:rolleyes:

Sounds like a wicked setup in the works, keep it up!

I think you may have some real trouble finding a smaller hotside for that. The turbine wheel is larger than the Hx40 so it won't fit into the bullseye housing unless you can swap turbine wheels, or machine the housing out. I don't know if it could go out that far or not. The diesel shop couldn't find anything smaller than a 21cc or 22cm for his H1E. Good luck man.

OK well tonight i took apart the turbo and measured the wheels...

Results:

Compressor wheel : Exducer 3.275" / 83.18 MM
Inducer 2.361"/ 60 MM

Turbine Wheel : Exducer 2.984" / 75MM
Inducer 2.520"/ 64 MM

Anyone know what type of oil fittings these take?
Also where i might be able to find them for a cheap price?

Btw how do i convert the 22cm squared to an A/R ratio?

Thanks for all the replies.

Ok i just figured the A/R for the turbine housing... Correct me if im wrong but is this right?

1.6317 A/R

What Garrett turbo is that comparable to ??/

A GT4082 has a 58mm inducer and 82mm exducer on the compressor wheel. The turbine that comes with this turbo is 77mm, and only comes in 0.94 a/r. So if that didn't spool late enough for you, yours will have a 1.63 a/r. I'm not sure you'd even start boosting until 6k rpm.

Now that makes me wonder.... Out of all the different H1E's why did i have to get stuck with the largest one?

Just a few more questions...

So would this turbo be considered bigger than an HX-40 or a GT40?

Any what type of oil line fittings do you guys use on these turbos?

Thanks for the inputs.

Well, all the PTE 61 series turboes (6152, 6169, and 6176) use a compressor wheel very similar to the Holset (at least, in terms of size). The 61 series compressor wheel is 61mm inducer and 82mm exducer. The turbine wheel of the 6176 is also very similar to yours. It's inducer is 74mm and its exducer is 64.5mm. Many people run the 6176 and love it. It has made some big numbers on DSM's, but isn't exactly the most streetable turbo. You can get it bolt-on or T4. And still, the largest turbine housing you can get with one of these is a .96 a/r T4.

You might be able to run the Holset center section in PTE's housings, but I'd call them and talk to them about it. You can also contact Bullseye. Anything having to do with Holsets and DSM's, they'll know about.

too bad you cut the v band part off...I just threw away a holset hx40 aluminum 90* vband elbow with a oring and I patrol the wanted ads.....:rolleyes:

Sounds like a wicked setup in the works, keep it up!

Dude that sucks, but lucky for me I bought it from a guy that had already cut it off. He said he cut it off because he got tired of looking for the right size vband to fit the other side. But if you could scrape that vband 90* back up I would take it off of your hands. Also if you can get me one of those 90* vband exhaust elbows for these turbos that go from like 3"-3.5 or 4". You know what I am talking about? Let me know if you can get them.

And for the original poster, i do not know what you can do about the exhaust housing because bullseye only makes them for the hx40's and hx35's. You could try to do like an H1E/hx35 hybrid turbo or something like they do the hx40/35. Thing is you really need an hx35 to start with if you want to build one of the hybrids.

Keylan

I dont understand why I wont be able to fit an differnt exhaust housing on this thing. From what I have measured the exhaust wheel is just a tad smaller than an HX40 wheel.

My turbo is the H1E that is right on top of the HX40 from the picture. So since they have the same wheels why wouldnt i be able to put a different T4 housing on it?

The only reason i want to go with a t4 housing is becuase im going to run a custom made manifold with divided runners for better spool time. I couldnt run a t3 due to not being able to run the size pipes i was using on my manifold to a t3 divided flange.
THis is why im stressing the part about me needing to use a turbine housing that is twin scroll becuase all of this would be pointless if it wasnt.

Will show some pics of the progress later.

Attachments

• Holset_SIzes.JPG
    Holset_SIzes.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,287
Wow. Might just be the angle of the photo but it looks like your turbo will be touching your radiator with how far out the collector is and it's angle.

I have a large H1E in my garage. Was going to try it on my car but I juniked the T4 TH that it came with and well. Now it's just a mantle piece for people to look at. I would try it with it's TH. Just use a 90* pipe welded to the flange for the exhaust for testing purposes and dump it below the oil pan. See where it spools at and if you will be happy with it. People can say one thing or another but their are a few things that will effect your spool. Hot side AR for sure. Your cam's profile and where they are set up at.... ie.. if they are installed straight up or advanced or retarted. And also the actual fuel you plan to run. Alcohol would probably see faster spool than pump. It's still burning and expanding as it enters the turbo.

What ever you decide good luck.

thanks for the reply. I havent updated my profile lately but im using a aftermarket honda radiator (half size). Turbo will be facing with the compressor forward and the exhaust will be a straight shot back. 2 wastegates will be used since im running a devided manifold(faster spool time). I am supposed to get my manifold heat wrapped pretty soon so I will post more pics of the setup.
Btw do you know what oil lines people use on these H1Es? Also where i might be able to buy them?

Thanks

A few pictures of my new setup.
Should have it running within a couple weeks.

Attachments

• l_a304fea574fbcbfcf9c8e14393870a65.jpg
    l_a304fea574fbcbfcf9c8e14393870a65.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,068
  • l_d4e43881367c4e9cbe73ecadb8db52d4.jpg
    l_d4e43881367c4e9cbe73ecadb8db52d4.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,078
  • l_efaa87048ff8f3e9a44ee1c8e37addef.jpg
    l_efaa87048ff8f3e9a44ee1c8e37addef.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,107
Looks good man. Love the manifold. And looks like your polishing on the turbo turned out nice. Still havent finished doing mine. Got a few questions

1. What radiator (obviously a half size but still)
2. What did you do with the fuse box on the pass. side? How hard was it?
3. What intake manifold?
4. Why a maf-t?
5. What are you goals for the car?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks

Keylan

Thanks for the thumbs up on the manifold. I designed it myself. I used a 2.5 inch thick (15x17) civic si aftermarket radiator. The radiator is still having some clearance issues due to the manifold and turbine housing being to close to it. As far as the fuse box, i relocated it under the passenger side wheel fender.(where the side mount went) This is temporary. I want to find a nice spot for it when i have the whole setup together. The IM is stock, just port matched for now. Will be upgrading to a magnus later.

The maft was in my old setup so im still using it since i vent my bov to the atmosphere.

As far as my goals go is im hoping for 400 wheel on pump on a bone stock 7 bolt, until i get my fully built one in this summer. Its just a matter of time until i finish piecing the rest of the engine together.

No problem with the questions. I actually appreciate it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back