The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

BB 5031 / 50trim install plus tips and pictures

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blcknspo0ln

DSM Wiseman
Jul 31, 2003
Central, New_Jersey
Hey guys,
I just installed my turbo tonight and decided to snap some pictures along the way for those who are wondering how to do a 50 trim or ball bearing 50 trim install. If you have a standard 50 trim, don't worry about the water lines I keep referring to, the process is exactly the same.

for starters:
Do everything you would to drop your turbo. This includes all fluids, lines, turbo system parts, etc. Also remove your radiator to make life easier. Then go ahead collect and order all of the parts that you are going to use. This includes all new lines, turbo, gaskets, tools, ratchets, etc. The basic things.

First and foremost, take your BFH and go to down on your water pipe. Be sure not to actually skew the waterpipe as it may cause a leak if the Oring seperates from either the thermostat housing or waterpump housing. You should end up with something like this (picture of my old G50).

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

*** IMPORTANT*** this applies to both wet and dry 50 trims. REMOVE the banjo bolt/water line that is bolted to the block. It is right below the waterpipe on the passenger side. Lots of coolant will gush out. Now go to the hardware store and pick up a 14 x 1.5 x 10 bolt. Use this bolt as a plug for that hole. You will not need this anymore.

Now, go ahead and do your prep work. This involves PORTING your turbo, RTVing all of your gaskets for install, ziptieing things, etc.

picture of my porting. I used a carbide single cut burr, disc shaped stone grinder, 60 grit 1/2" drum sand paper, then 120 grit. Pay special attention to the flapper entrance, as it is the most crucial part to porting. Be careful and use your judgement concerning how far you go with your porting. TOO MUCH is never good.

*turbine housing comes cut from PTE

Now go ahead and get your turbo system set up. USE antiseize on every fastener you have. torque to spec. Regardless of if you are using stock or brand new water lines, you MUST get 14mm copper crush washers for both sides of the banjo bolt. Once you get the banjo bolt hand tight, go ahead and play around with the actual water line to get it to whatever position you want.

The green lines will indicate a water line, and the red is the oil feed line. Take your oil from the filter housing. *note, I have read others having problems with getting the restrictor and oil feed line bolt to get clearance from a stock 2g manifold. I avoided this problem by having the oil feed line go through the back of the turbo, unlike the traditional way of having it go through the front.

Here are two pictures from the underside of the car. Red denotes the SS feed line, yellow the coolant line running from the thermostat to the oil filter housing, and green is the water line from the front of the CHRA.

*Looking at these pictures made me realize that my MBC line is kinked. Problem was fixed.*

note, although it particularly does not matter which way to route the water lines, I like to believe in Mitsubishi engineers (That's a first, huh? LOL) so I routed mine the same way it came from the factory. The front water line (picture above) is the water RETURN line. This line connects to the nipple that comes out from the waterpipe. The rear water line is the coolant feed line which is (from the factory) taken from the coolant line coming out of the block. Since that is currently blocked off, a new source of water must be found.

Here are some front shots of the turbo. I mixed red and green up for the rear facing water line, but I'm sure you can tell in the pictures that they are the same. I also changed the color of the t-stat to oil filter housing line to light blue.

The important thing to note is how I tee-d the thermostat line. Since in the beginning of the install, I plugged the stock turbo feed (coolant) line, I had to find a new source of coolant feed to the turbo. After speaking with Matt at SBR, we both agreed that it is possible to tee from the thermostat housing. These last two shots demonstrate how I did that. I use 3/8" fuel line with a 3/8" plastic tee.

After this, install your oil return line to your oil pan using a new gasket and a thin layer of RTV. Then reinstall everything you touched during this whole install. Take your time and double check everything you've done!!

and the last picture of motivation.. :thumb: Since October 2005, my talon has seen a total of 330 miles and I have put about 2500 into her on mods and repairs.. but ..

I'll submit this into the tech archive in a bit, but I wanted to post to see if anyone had anything else to add..

Great write up. Perfect timing. I ordered my 5031bb two days ago.

Where exactly did you tap into the thermostat housing for your water source? I can't see to well with those pictures and all the blue/green/red lines LOL. Is it the line that comes off the thermostat housing then goes down to the oil filter housing? You also said you ran the oil feed around the back of the turbo and that eliminated the clearance problems?

My compressor housing is hitting the water pipe...but it's hitting it right in a spot I cannot "dent". One of the bumps on the compressor housing that a bolt goes into is hitting the fitting on the water pipe for the stock return. This is really getting to be a pain in the butt.

Awesome. I'm sitting here looking at my SCM5031BB right now..can't wait to get it in. Although I was told from Marti at Speed Factor that porting this turbo wasn't really necessary. He did recommend porting my new SBR exhaust mani though, and I did. Also for the gaskets I was just going to spray them all with that copper gasket in a can stuff. Looks like you didn't use a micron filter in the oil line, either..?

Anyways thanks for the write-up! It'll definetely help when I install it here shortly.

tbTalonES94 said:
Where exactly did you tap into the thermostat housing for your water source? I can't see to well with those pictures and all the blue/green/red lines LOL. Is it the line that comes off the thermostat housing then goes down to the oil filter housing? You also said you ran the oil feed around the back of the turbo and that eliminated the clearance problems?

Yes, he used the coolant line from the T-stat housing to the oil filter housing.

a_scobel said:
Awesome. I'm sitting here looking at my SCM5031BB right now..can't wait to get it in. Although I was told from Marti at Speed Factor that porting this turbo wasn't really necessary. He did recommend porting my new SBR exhaust mani though, and I did. Also for the gaskets I was just going to spray them all with that copper gasket in a can stuff. Looks like you didn't use a micron filter in the oil line, either..?

Anyways thanks for the write-up! It'll definetely help when I install it here shortly.

Yes, he used the coolant line from the T-stat housing to the oil filter housing.

Josh at JNZ Tuning also told me that porting wouldn't help too much on this turbo. Hopefully all of you guys will enjoy this turbo as much as I am. :thumb:

Wouldn't T'ing in at the oil filter's water supply send hot water from the turbo straigh to the oil cooler. That would almost cancel the effect of the oil cooler?

90blacktsiawd said:
Josh at JNZ Tuning also told me that porting wouldn't help too much on this turbo. Hopefully all of you guys will enjoy this turbo as much as I am. :thumb:
sorry man, i beg to differ. i ported my 50 trim and its a nice difference in response and spool up. PORT THAT TURBO! :p

Steve Hebert said:
So did you put a "T" on that coolant line? If so at what point?

You can see the T on the 5th to the last picture.

I never realized how much a turbo weighs, though..this weighs 18.6 lbs. Anybody know how much a T25 weighs??

I just got mine installed. This turbo rocks!!! I found the correct pipe fitting today at a local shop...so i was lucky.

This thing pulls like crazy. 11psi with this turbo is faster then the v-trim at 18psi. It spools fast as hell and pulls all the way to redline. I am in love with my car again!

Wow congrats man :thumb: my car is still down right now, so I can't comment on the performance just yet. I also snapped another picture today to answer the other question of how I routed the water lines. Anybody have anything to add? I know I missed something???

a_scobel, I did not use a micronfilter because I have had not heard any ill effects with not using one. Taking freshly filtered oil is good enough for me.

Attachments

• DSCN0676.JPG
    DSCN0676.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 4,076
a_scobel said:
You can see the T on the 5th to the last picture.

I never realized how much a turbo weighs, though..this weighs 18.6 lbs. Anybody know how much a T25 weighs??

the e316G is right around 12.5 lbs, so Id say the t25 is closer to 10 lbs or so. Who cares, it makes a great paperweight LOL

You should consider running the PTE water line kit. It flows alot more coolant through the cartridge than stock.

I ran stock water lines for a bit and after awhile I noticed a bit of a whine from the turbo. After upgrading, I found that the whine went away.

Not to mention that PTE won't 'officially' warrenty a turbo that is not equipped with their water line kit.

Just to let you guys know, a micron is a unit of measurement refering to the size of particles the filter is able to catch. FPs is a 10 micron filter, thats pretty small!

blackGSX2g said:
You should consider running the PTE water line kit. It flows alot more coolant through the cartridge than stock.

I ran stock water lines for a bit and after awhile I noticed a bit of a whine from the turbo. After upgrading, I found that the whine went away.

Not to mention that PTE won't 'officially' warrenty a turbo that is not equipped with their water line kit.

Where did you get your upgraded water line? I did a "quick" search around and didn't see one.

blackGSX2g said:

Hm interesting, Marti didn't mention anything about their water line kit. How much is it? Any pics of this kit?

a_scobel said:
Hm interesting, Marti didn't mention anything about their water line kit. How much is it? Any pics of this kit?

This is the one Dejon Powerhouse sells. I'm pretty sure i remember seeing a pic of the Speed Factors kit and it looked identical but dont quote me on that.

Attachments

• A-01_PT%20WaterKit.jpeg
    A-01_PT%20WaterKit.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 3,163
90blacktsiawd said:
This is the one Dejon Powerhouse sells. I'm pretty sure i remember seeing a pic of the Speed Factors kit and it looked identical but dont quote me on that.

yup. That's the kit I've seen also. It's also strange how SBR didn't mention that I would need this "kit" to be under warranty.

blcknspo0ln said:
yup. That's the kit I've seen also. It's also strange how SBR didn't mention that I would need this "kit" to be under warranty.

They did mention it to me when i talked with them about it. Though there kit is just new 2g style water lines that need to be tweaked alittle to make them fit right.

Yes, thats the kit. I bought direct from PTE and they said the water line kit was necessary. I picked it up for an additional $40 and am actually really glad I did.

The tubing is way bigger than the stock 2g style water lines and installing them was no harder than installing stock lines.

Really thats weird about the water lines. Am using new 2g style water lines on my pte bb 57 trim. When i talked to slowboy they never mentioned anything about needing that.

So I noticed the install kit I got from Speed Factor didn't come with bolts to bolt the oil drain line flange to the turbo. Anybody know what size bolts I need?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back