Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Tuning & Engine Management
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Tuning & Engine Management: 4G63 EPROMS, ECU, MAF, knock, EGT, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc. Read this Forum's Strict Guidelines.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 08:46 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,584
Photos: 14
Classifieds Rating: 23
1G-specific

Bad Fuel Injector?

Ok, I've been trying to track down this problem for awhile now, and to no avail. What happens is if I drive my car for awhile, shut it down, then start it up soon after, it idles real bad and misses out while cruising under 15mph. Now the annoying problem is that when I boost into the 5k rpm range I get such a bad miss that it almost feels like fuel cut. (def. not as violent as fuel cut though)

I've changed plugs and wires, done BLT after BLT with soapy water and fixed all problems, fixed all vacuum leaks. Boost is set at 13psi. So could this be a bad fuel injector? Is there any way to test if a fuel injector is bad? Or maybe the ppl who owned the car before me put in smaller injectors???

Also when I start my car warm the vac pressure is real sporatic (sometimes vac is -18 at normal idle, but most of the time at or around -16 at normal idle, sometimes as low as -13), and it almost feels like the car is running too rich, but after I drive around a bit, it's fine.

Please help. I'm getting pretty fed-up with this crap. And please don't tell me to do a BLT, cause I've done like 50 in the last 2 weeks. Thanks

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:30 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 228
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to spectr019
well the hacked mass is kinda a ghetto trick that can sometimes easily screw up the mas reading...also, I've NEVER seen somebody do a mod "removing all vacuum lines"...If that's as simple as it sounds, then there would be your IN HG problem, as well as driving issues.

Ben

Old 10-22-2008, 10:39 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

1G-specific

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectr019 View Post
well the hacked mass is kinda a ghetto trick that can sometimes easily screw up the mas reading...also, I've NEVER seen somebody do a mod "removing all vacuum lines"...If that's as simple as it sounds, then there would be your IN HG problem, as well as driving issues.

Ben
I know it's not the mass cause I tried out my friend's in my car and same thing happened. As for "all vacuum lines" I should've said, "all vacuum lines according to taboo speed shop diagram" (except for fpr vacuum line) Anyway, how can I tell if an injector is bad?

Old 10-22-2008, 11:51 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

to see specifically if an injector is bad...I personally haven't heard of any methods to do that. If you are pretty suspicious of an injector, I would first ask how old they are? If they are pretty old, or if they have been sitting unused for a long time, throw some fuel injector cleaner through them and see if that helps at all.
If you think that the car is running rich, I would think it would run lean if an injector isn't working up to par, unless the other injectors are controlled by the ecu to inject way more than normal (which consequently would put them attempting to be over 100% idc).
My very first thoughts before I finished reading your initial post was to check the wires, your symptoms were very familiar to me, and I found out that it was the wires.
I guess if you think it's an injector, just put new injectors in. Or if you have your old injectors, re-set whatever fuel controller your using, and put in the old 450s and see how it goes. Good luck whichever way you go though.

Ben

Old 10-22-2008, 12:26 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

1G-specific

I've put in 3 bottles of fuel injector cleaner in the car in the last 2 months, and I'm still on stock fuel settings. I was wondering if you could tell if an injector was leaning out by the way the spark plug nearest it looked? I don't know a whole lot about spark plugs though, so any word of advice will help.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:47 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 09 Nissan Versa SL
Tech Posts: 1,433
Classifieds Rating: 1
seafoam it...

Old 10-22-2008, 05:59 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 94 Pontiac Formula M6
Tech Posts: 33
What shape are your coil packs in?

Old 10-22-2008, 07:35 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 457
Classifieds Rating: 4
You can use a digital multimeter to test the resistance of the injector,set the meter to ohms disconnect the injector and test them they sould be within range of each other.That test lets you know if you have a bad injector coil.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

1G-specific

Quote:
Originally Posted by redyute1 View Post
You can use a digital multimeter to test the resistance of the injector,set the meter to ohms disconnect the injector and test them they sould be within range of each other.That test lets you know if you have a bad injector coil.
Just stick the multimeter prong into the injector clip thing? And if I have a bad coil do I need new injectors also? Thanks

Old 10-22-2008, 09:35 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 277
Classifieds Rating: 4
Send a message via AIM to byebyev8
Try some injector cleaner. It really works my old car would do almost the same thing but alot worse(If I started the car warm it would idle and run terrible almost like it was on 3 cylinders). At first i thought it was a hot start problem then my car threw the bad injector CEL and before i got new injectors i tried the cleaner and it never happened again.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:34 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

That's not a bad idea you were saying about the plugs. If one injector is not putting in enough fuel, then the plug will have a semblance different from the others. You said you changed the plugs already, if you still have them, take a look at those bad boys. If one is different, it's not necessarily an injector, but something to do with a certain cylinder, you'll just have to figure out which one and go from there.

Ben

Old 10-23-2008, 01:41 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

1G-specific

So today I changed my fuel filter, and while I had the battery out I noticed my charcoal can, I traced a vac. line back to the intake, but I saw some other lines missing on the charcoal can, so this may be my problem (I thought I had checked all the vac lines), I'm gonna cap the intake nipple tonight and keep you guys posted.

I guess it makes sense cause this one wouldn't show up in a BLT because it's before the turbo inlet.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 11,579
Photos: 20
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 135
Send a message via AIM to snowborder714
I don't know if the 1g's canister is the same as the 2g's, but is this open port what you're talking about?
Evap System evaporative recovery hose hoses diagram

Throttle body rebuild kits

Old 10-23-2008, 02:53 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

1G-specific

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowborder714 View Post
I don't know if the 1g's canister is the same as the 2g's, but is this open port what you're talking about?
Evap System evaporative recovery hose hoses diagram
No that wasn't it, see the guy before me ripped out a lot of hoses, and I've still got a vac. leak somewhere, but I was thinking, if the charcoal canister isn't hooked up but the line from the intake is hooked up to it, would it lose enough air to cause a mild fuel cut?

On second thought, this isn't fuel cut so it must be something to do with the fuel system.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:44 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

1G-specific

Sorry it's been so long, but anyway, I checked my plugs all turned out ok, re-wired my fuel pump and still having a problem. I was thinking that maybe I have the automatic injectors in my car. Is there a way to tell the difference between the 450s and the autos?

Old 11-07-2008, 07:36 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 11,733
Photos: 12
Classifieds Rating: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitatguy187 View Post
I was thinking that maybe I have the automatic injectors in my car. Is there a way to tell the difference between the 450s and the autos?
injector Identification
tan injectors
injector color question?
Visit steve's homepage!  View photos of this member's car