The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Twincharger v2.0 teaser...Photos inside

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayPeters

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 26, 2006
Rogersville, Tennessee
Hey everyone, I'm still at it. Spent the last week or more redesigning the system to run cooler now with dual air to air intercooling and a crap load of tubing going everywhere. External bypass only, vented to atmosphere and I'll retain the methanol injection in case the 8.5 to 1 pistons don't like me. Engine in the photos is still the junk one, new engine is going to get all the stuff hung on it tomorrow and then its swap time.

Attachments

• IMGP1059.JPG
    IMGP1059.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 6,786
  • IMGP1060.JPG
    IMGP1060.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 6,744
  • IMGP1062.JPG
    IMGP1062.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 6,736
I'll post more pics as everything goes on the new engine. So far everything fits, the hood even closes.. Although getting the starter out may be a major PITA.

Do you think they'll bother looking for the EGR valve at smog?

May I ask why you would want to do something like this? Is it just to be different?

I see you're finding fault with my fitment piping. I've not found a better way to mock up IC piping than that. If you know a better way, let me know. I mark these up and take them to the bender.

Lunchbox, the goal is NO LAG :D. I was mostly sucessful in version 1.0, but without intercooling on the supercharger I had problems with detonation under high boost situations. So now with a new intake manifold, and a second intercooler, those problems should be taken care of.

I have seen lots of Minis twin charged, but never a dsm.

Only 1 decent photo for today, the intake has taken some more time, there were issues on clearing a couple things on the firewall that were important like the brake bias valve. This is the intake mounted on the new engine.

The supercharger is off an early GM 3800.

Attachments

• IMGP1065small.JPG
    IMGP1065small.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 6,560
You need to post ALOT more pictures. I'm at a lack of understand of everything that is going on here.

I'm going to go through the other thread, hopefully that should explain alot.

Damn, that smim is hacked! You think of just tossing that oem hood and fabbing something like those tall ones on the ram air / supercharged mustangs? Plenty of clearance then.

Damn, that smim is hacked! You think of just tossing that oem hood and fabbing something like those tall ones on the ram air / supercharged mustangs? Plenty of clearance then.

That's the great thing about force induction, the intake can just be a box, the runners are tapered into it, and everything is good 2 go.:rocks: The pipe down the back side is the output of the supercharger, headed to the side mount intercooler, then to the turbo, then to the front mount, then thru the MAF, then the TB, then the engine. I'll get more pictures up as it goes in the car.

The hood idea is good, but that's more advertising than I want. OMG plus, this is intended to be reproducable for those that want to spool some big turbos. The system is now capable of using the supercharger to spool the turbo, then unload the supercharger at around 550CFM airflow and the turbo can go on and make big power. I'm liking the idea of a gt42 with street manners. I'm NOT doing that to this engine, but the system should support that type of behavior.

I'm also noticing excessive use of the word "hacked", maybe someone from the current generation should explain its use so I don't mis-understand. I interperet that to mean "of poor quality or cheesy." While I'm as much for fashion as the next guy, I will NOT be polishing the intake. Even the production ones will be bare aluminum, I'd rather see it go fast than look good. However, the production ones will be produced with machined faces and complex curves on the outlet. After this PROTOTYPE is working I'll see about some solidworks renders for everyone to eyeball.

By hacked I meant fabbed, but doing what you have to do to get the function you need regardless of presentation. Doesn't necessarily have to mean poor quality at all. A lot of the time when people fab parts they are avoiding costs of getting a retail solution so they replicate near to something else they have in mind. In your case it serves as a mount for the supercharger and your application is so unique that you're basically pioneering with your fabbing. AKA hacked.

Sure you don't want to polish it? +5 hp.

By hacked I meant fabbed, but doing what you have to do to get the function you need regardless of presentation. Doesn't necessarily have to mean poor quality at all. A lot of the time when people fab parts they are avoiding costs of getting a retail solution so they replicate near to something else they have in mind. In your case it serves as a mount for the supercharger and your application is so unique that you're basically pioneering with your fabbing. AKA hacked.

Sure you don't want to polish it? +5 hp.

For only +5HP I'll just remember to use the can before I drive. :) THanks for the explanation. Polishing that thing would take hours, and once its in the car, no one can see it. I'm off to hack on it some more, it needs the supercharger bolted to it, and hang it back on the engine, then I think it will be time to get the old engine out of the car. Swap over the AC compressor and the brackets, turbo and O2 housing. Probably a couple sensors it needs and then see if it will fit again.

Wish me luck.

Most people have the supercharger draw through the turbo, why'd you go this route? Aren't you afraid the supercharger might run out of air?

Most people have the supercharger draw through the turbo, why'd you go this route? Aren't you afraid the supercharger might run out of air?

The math says the supercharger is rated at 565 CFM@ 16,000 rpm and the turbo 590, so 'theroretically' you are correct. However that happens so close to my target of 584 cfm (30 psi at 6800 rpm) that I can raise the supercharger ratio a touch (custom pulley) and get the added flow by over revving the supercharger a few percent. With the new engine it will be some time before it is ready for 30 psi IF it is even possible on 8.5 pistons. My discussions with the engineers at Eaton prefer this method over the setup I had before. Either will work, it is a question of efficiencies and space. Now that everything is intercooled, I like the packaging of this better. I can always change it just more plumbing.

On another note, the old engine is out, broke the insulators off the spark plugs, I'll post some pics of the carnage.

Everything is bolted to the engine except the tranny and clutch. It's as big as a V8 sitting on the engine stand. :) As requested, here's some more photos of the insanity.

I'm tired and going to bed. I'll answer questions tomorrow...

Attachments

• IMGP1082.jpg
    IMGP1082.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 5,426
  • IMGP1083.jpg
    IMGP1083.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 5,357
  • IMGP1084.jpg
    IMGP1084.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 5,544
  • IMGP1086.jpg
    IMGP1086.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 5,219
Wow, its 6am here and I just got done driving it around the block, after this much work, it seems to be worth it. Going to have a look under it later in the day, and I'll get some video and such for everyone to check out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back