The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Intercooler Chiller Challenge

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGajre777

DSM Wiseman
Jul 16, 2004
Orlando, Florida
I wasn't sure where to put this, so I put it in the newbie forum. I found an article that I thought was interesting. Intercooler Chillers were tested on a 2004 Dodge SRT4.

Final Results on the dyno:
DEI CRYO2 kit : 12.5HP gain
NX N-ter Cooler kit : 10-12HP gain
NOS Intercooler Spray Bar kit : 18.6HP gain and chunks of ice on the intercooler. :rocks:

The article can be viewed at http://www.holley.com/data/Ads/NOSCoverArticle.pdf

I thought Cryo2 cooled better than nitrous!? Is it the difference in spray bar design that makes the snake design NOS bar have a higher HP gain compared to the looped spray bars?

Snake design looks like it covers ore area across the intercooler than the loop design. That'll make the temp change more effective.

dude, i know this may sound like a crazy idea, but maybe, since those things are so good at cooling, and the gases happen to be combustable.... maybe you could make some system, where instead of spraying it on the intercooler, you could spray it INTO the engine itself, kinda like the fuel system, except as a completely seperate system,.... personally i think you would make more power that way,... just my wild guess tho....

tstkl said:
dude, i know this may sound like a crazy idea, but maybe, since those things are so good at cooling, and the gases happen to be combustable.... maybe you could make some system, where instead of spraying it on the intercooler, you could spray it INTO the engine itself, kinda like the fuel system, except as a completely seperate system,.... personally i think you would make more power that way,... just my wild guess tho....

That would be a normal Nitrous setup, would it not? :confused:

you actually didnt get what i was talking about??!?!?!??!

just a plain old normal nos system....not that hard...

DGajre777 said:
Final Results on the dyno:
DEI CRYO2 kit : 12.5HP gain
NX N-ter Cooler kit : 10-12HP gain
NOS Intercooler Spray Bar kit : 18.6HP gain and chunks of ice on the intercooler.
Bullshit on those numbers. Maybe half that. But if you're carrying NO2, why the hell throw it away on the intercooler.

Nice hookers, though.

Some of the results from the nitrous base systems might be skewed by the fact that some of the nitrous is probably making its way through the intake and into the engine.

On a side note I saw a video a while ago on some people goofing around on a dyno. They hooked a leaf blower up to an Acura or Honda as a sort of electric superchager. That worked ok so they decided to do another pull doing the same thing but with the addition of spraying a stream of nitrous from a loose bottle (sort fire extinguisher style) at the intake of the leaf blower. I was surprised at the gains they showed. (please don't do this to your DSM).

Seth

my friend did this with his truck, and it hit the rev limiter cuz of it... 5k, it was idling at 2k tho, and its an old pos truck...

1. S3 is garbage. My car has been pictured in it, I know the people that run it, it's all shit.

2. The stock srt4 intercooler is garbage to begin with. Yeah, it's better than most stock ICs, but it's still not great.

3. Keep in mind that the nitrous being sprayed on intercoolers usually finds it's way into the motor giving false results. You'd be surprised how 300hp + engines do as vacuum cleaners.

4. The cost/power ratio of these things are retarded. Why bother with something like this when you still have a stock turbo and intercooler. Hm, 400 dollars for a sprayer or 400 dollars for a nice intercooler core...

Stapl3 said:
1. S3 is garbage. My car has been pictured in it, I know the people that run it, it's all shit.

2. The stock srt4 intercooler is garbage to begin with. Yeah, it's better than most stock ICs, but it's still not great.

3. Keep in mind that the nitrous being sprayed on intercoolers usually finds it's way into the motor giving false results. You'd be surprised how 300hp + engines do as vacuum cleaners.

4. The cost/power ratio of these things are retarded. Why bother with something like this when you still have a stock turbo and intercooler. Hm, 400 dollars for a sprayer or 400 dollars for a nice intercooler core...
it would seem to me, that this man,... dare i say it?,.... AGREES WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!

this idea is completely refarted

edit: and no i didnt accidently press the f button instead of the t button....

i believe the Sport Compact magazine had an article on intercooler chiller
they used water from the windshield sprayers to spray it on intercooler to cool it down a bit
...not a bad idea

Ok as far as temperature goes doesn't the co2 get colder than nitrous? so it should make more power in theory right, since the charge air is colder...kinda funny, the nitrous is higher... who would have guessed that having a bunch of nitrous spayed into your engine bay would make more power. :rolleyes: I believe buschur did this test too and proved that the only reason the nitrous made more power was because your intake is on the other side of your frontmount and radiator and apparently some of the nitrous made its way to your intake.

Thats interesting...

I agree that 400 bucks for a IC Sprayer is a waste of money since 400 bucks means easily 50 hp gain on a regular mod or something

I'm makeing my own. If it doesn't gain horsepower, fine, i don't care, cost me nothing. Its nothing fancy, just using the rear winsheild wiper pump, resivor, some hose, and a nozzle. I'll use alcohal as a coolant... All I want to do is see if it will bring my intake temps down any... #### if im spending 400 bucks for some kit.

also, why not use CO2 instead of NOX? cheaper, and probably just as cold...

-Shawn

Here is a test done by Cryofusion stating the following:

- CO2 works as a fire extinguisher and displaces oxygen. Engines use this oxygen, combined with fuel, to make power.
- Ingesting even a small amount of CO2 into the air intake will slow your car down.
- It is nearly impossible to use an intercooler spray bar without ingesting residual gases from the intercooler spray.
- Nitrous oxide, when sprayed across an intercooler, can cause motor damage.
- Intercooler spray bars can work effectively if used during non critical conditions.

Here is the entire test - http://www.cryofuzion.com/spraybar.htm. An important factor when choosing the nitrous spray bar kits.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back