The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Removing 92-94 Talon Tail Lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you ever need to remove the 1gb (92-94) Talon rear bumper, or just need a new set of tailights off a parts car, here is a step by step way to remove them.

Tools you need -
Flat head screw driver (to remove plastic panels)
Phillips screw driver (to remove plastic panels)
3/8 Rachet
3/8 Extension (I used a 6")
10mm Socket (must be deep)
10mm wrench (if you don't have the deep socket)

First remove the plastic access panels in the hatch of your car which gives you access to the back lights. You CAN remove the tails without removing ALL the plastic in the hatch, however when I did this for the article, I was doing other stuff as well so everything is removed from the hatch. It is easier with all the plastic removed though.

Attachments

• start.jpg
    start.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,541
Once you have access to the back of the lights, unplug the left and right plugs as shown in the picture below.
Then use your 10mm deep socket to remove all of the nuts as shown.
Also, there is a bulb in the light out near the sides of the car. I always find it easiest to just twist it, then pull it out of the housing without unhooking the wiring from it. This bulb is between the two red circles I drew on the farthest right side of the picture.

Attachments

• nuts.jpg
    nuts.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,658
There are nuts just like the ones for the side lights holding the center peice on. This is why you had to remove the center plastic peice. Remove all of these 10mm nuts holding the center on. The center peice must be removed first. Once you are sure you have all the nuts off of it, carefully pull it away from the car. It may stick at first, but should come loose. There is a wire harness going into the center peice which powers you backup lights and your licence plate lights. Unplug that where shown in the picture below.

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,535
Now, as long as you removed the nuts from the tailights, and unhooked the harness, you will be able to pull them out. However there is a small white plastic peice that will hold them in. You must squeeze the tabs while you pull out on the light housing. Do this on both lights.

Attachments

• tabs.jpg
    tabs.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,438
After that, your lights are off. To install, just do this all in reverse.
Any questions, please PM me. I will be more then happy to answer questions, and will add anything I missed or didn't explain well enough to this article.

Attachments

• finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,431
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back