The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Turbo heat and carbon fiber hoods

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaktheripper

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 29, 2004
Cincy, Ohio
Some truck hit my car the other day, so with the insurance money I was going to get an OEM carbon fiber hood to replace the smashed one. The thing I'm worried about is my cars a turbo (B16G) and I've heard stories of them cracking a lot. How do you prevent this? My thougut was some sort of heat shield under the hood, but wouldn't this reflect the heat to the engine making it run hotter?

i am guessing that the b16g isnt that much hotter. its the same housing right??? I have a CF hood a on my car and am getting an evo16g today!!! sooo if any one knows for sure that would be great!

it's not the turbo that cracks the CF hood, it's the type of hood being cracked by the turbo (heat). some CF hoods are made very cheap. OBX for example makes CF hoods but they are so flimsy, any engine turbo or non-turbo will crack it.

The 16g is TD05H housing, I doubt it gets much hotter, but how has your hood been with the stock turbo? Do you have a heat shield on your hood, or even on your exaust mani?

GOT 2RBO said:
it's not the turbo that cracks the CF hood, it's the type of hood being cracked by the turbo (heat). some CF hoods are made very cheap. OBX for example makes CF hoods but they are so flimsy, any engine turbo or non-turbo will crack it.
What about Carbon Creations cf hoods? That's the kind I was planning on getting.

I talked to some guy that reccomended "carbon images" hoods or something like that. I've never heard of them. Anyone have experience with a Carbon Creations hood though?

Carbon Creations sells VIS hoods. I don't think they have their own brand of hoods. I bought my hood from there. Overall super satisfied with it. Everyone I talk to LOVES my hood (evo style). The lamination or whatever it is looks like its starting to become delaminated in some places but nothing serious or really noticeable to anyone except me. Overall very satisfied.

jaktheripper said:
I talked to some guy that reccomended "carbon images" hoods or something like that. I've never heard of them. Anyone have experience with a Carbon Creations hood though?

i think you're talking about "Fiber Images". they're actually one of the best and one of the most expensive in CF anything. they use use pure CF and no fiber glass back. but if you don't want to spend so much on a CF hood there's other places that has good quality for less money. shop around, make sure the edges are rolled or get a double sided CF.

I have a cf hood and a big 16g and I haven't had any problems at all... My CF hood doesn't even feel hot on top after a long day of driving. I don't think it's much of a problem, but if you're worried abuot it you can buy that head resistent stuff that looks like dynamat and put it on the hood, like on oem hoods in a lot of cars, the foil looking stuff.

I have a cf hood and a big 16g and I haven't had any problems at all... My CF hood doesn't even feel hot on top after a long day of driving. I don't think it's much of a problem, but if you're worried abuot it you can buy that head resistent stuff that looks like dynamat and put it on the hood, like on oem hoods in a lot of cars, the foil looking stuff.

do you have the exhaust manifold shield on???

The factory thinks it was worth it to put on a manifold heat shield, and then another insulation layer on the underside of the hood. And that 's for steel.

They may have been on to something.

I just thought I'd post this question here instead of starting a new thread: Anyone with bodyshop experience, approximately how much would a normal shop charge for a replacement hood, replacement fender, replacement headlight, and to paint all of that?(except headlight, of course). I'm just wondering, cause I have to get an estimate before I can get the insurance money for my cf hood, and I want to know about a norm price.

definately go with a VIS cf hood. i bought a sorta no name one and it was $350 shipped to my door, but it doesnt fit as well as i would like it to. when it gets nicer out my dad and i are going to see if we adjust the fenders to kinda fix that.

the moral of this story is go with VIS... its gonna be like $400 or so... maybe more or less. also, make sure you have a heat shield on your exhaust manifold and take the heat shield off the bottom of your factory hood and install it on the new hood. youre going to break the clips that hold it in, so count on taking a drive to satan to get some... they arent cheap either :cry:

I run a green and no heatshield on my manifold and I have no problems with my cf hood. The hood is about 2 years old at this point.

I have a JSP carbon fiber hood and my car has been fine. I have a turbonetics manifold and turbo with a tial wastegate that stands up right near the hood and still have no problems. The wastegate gets really hot too and nothing has happened even after months and months of hard driving and being at the track.

I have a VIS Invader style hood...not even a year old and it has cracked the clear coat to hell!! and that is with the heat shield in place. As a matter of fact I'm trying to figure out how to fix it. The carbon it self doesn't look cracked, but the clear coat is and it is curling up on the edges of the cracks. Every where I take it they all say no way to fix it because nothing will adhere to the damaged area. I personaly think it can be lightly sanded with 1000 grit and then use some clear resin to fill in the small cracks. Re-sand with 1000- 2500 grit and re- clear coat the whole thing again. What do you all think?

Oh and if any one cares that is with a Slow Boy racing 60-1 turbo.
Thanks, Chuck

Junk hoods will fall apart from prolonged heat exposure where good ones will be able to handle it.

As said earlier, that factory heat shield on the exhaust manifold and hood was put there for a reason, car manufacturs do not spend money on parts that are worthless.

Ask the manufacturer what resin they use and what the heat distorsion temp is. Also mke sure it's UV protected.

I have a big 16G with a carbon fiber hood. everything was fine and then i decided to put in a vent anyways heres the link to that. its alittle different now the mesh is black and alittle more sturdy kind was used. Im going to extend the vent alittle but so itsnot in the shape of a bean . but til it gets warm here.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150235

if anyone here has had experience with carbon creations, they are THE best. they have the best fitment and overall best quality. double layered.rolled edges. i have sold many hoods and fenders, and they are one of the best companies to work with. they are owned by VIS but they are there own branch in it.take a look at their website.

I am also curious as to what cf hoods are the best deal. I guess 375-450 should get you a decent quality hood. I want to sell these through my company but will order one for my own eclipse first to test fitment and overall quality. Not sure what company to go with though :confused: Seems carbon creations and vis are the most recomended brands.

Any input would be appreciated..not trying to hijack the thread i can start a new thread if that is better.

Best regards
tobias

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back