The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

what Parts from 4g63n/t work on 4g63t

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaddy186

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 29, 2004
Sicklerville, New_Jersey
So I'm walking throught the junkyard today looking for some odds and ends and I came across three or four 1gens with a 4g63n/t motors in them. I was wondering...what parts can I use from the n/t engine I mean are they the same or are they completely different. I really want the valve cover but wasnt sure if it is the same :confused: Sorry if I repoed....couldnt find much on the subject.

I don't know first hand, but from what I've researched on N/T to Turbo swaps here are the following differences:

Non Turbo:
- Intake Cam is less aggressive, Exhaust Cam is the same as Turbo
- Pistons are 9.0:1 compression ratio (turbo is 7.8:1 on 1g and 8.5:1 on 2g)
- Has no oil squirters, oil is fed to the pistons through the rods
- Has no knock sensor, but some come with a plugged hole where the knock sensor should be.
- 90-92' have 6bolt crankshaft, 92'-94 have 7bolt crankshaft and all 2g have 7bolt crankshaft

All the rest is the same... so the valve cover should be interchangable. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

There are actually some threads on this subject... ya just have to search some more.

4g63 4g63t differences

-Turblown

doug said:
Valve cover is the same. Another commonly-used 1G NT part is the dipstick.
What about the intake...I mean turbo motors just arnt in the junkyards around me and if they are they want bookoo bucks for the parts. If the 4g63 nt parts are the same....the people in the junk yard wont know the different and will give it to me cheep. So the 1g n/t and turbo intakes and heads are the same as I know the 1g flows better and am looking to do the swap?? thanks again guys

the steering?
i heard the nt ones are even better that the ts

I'm pretty sure the intake manifolds are a little better flowing, but they will not have a nipple for the blow off valve vacuum line, and the throttle body has to be modified so that it does not leak boost.

heads are the same part number.....the intake is the same, but you will have to either add a tee on the vacuum nipple or drill and tap threads and add a second nipple for vacuum for the bov...... :dsm:

Thanks for all the help guys....now I have some junkyard to hit up :thumb: . Im even thinking about buying a whole 6 bolt n/t because he quoted me 200 bucks. Not a bad deal in my book. Anyone want a 6 bolt :p .

Non-turbo pistons are weaker than the turbo pistons, so the added compression wouldnt help due to the lack of total power that can be made on the N/t pistons

blueman803 said:
Non-turbo pistons are weaker than the turbo pistons, so the added compression wouldnt help due to the lack of total power that can be made on the N/t pistons
that and 9to 1 is pushing the envelope for anything but straight race fuel..... :dsm:

So what ratio do the guys run that run 400+ hp on pump ?

The original poster has a turbo car. This is of high importance I would think.
Going by what everyone has said here, I would surmise that an NT motor would only be good to get if you were changing the internals. Not for a direct replacement. Am I correct?

anywhere from 8 to 10 on pump i would assume. it's all about tuning. i would say more are closer to 8 then 10 tho.

The n/t pistons can be swaped out of a 6 bolt n/t for 2g turbo pistons without any diference exept for machining of the 2g rods right?

BigDaddy186 said:
The n/t pistons can be swaped out of a 6 bolt n/t for 2g turbo pistons without any diference exept for machining of the 2g rods right?
right :dsm:

98spyderboost said:
What would it take to add the oil squirters?
depends on the block, some blocks already have the holes drilled but plugged, in that case just buy the squirter assemblies, if not you would have to drill/tap threads for the squirters first, then buy the squirters and install...... :dsm:

BigDaddy186 said:

I personally would use 2g pistons on 1g rods but that's all you. If you went that route, you would have to have the rods machined and the block bored .20.

4GSixty3 said:
I personally would use 2g pistons on 1g rods but that's all you. If you went that route, you would have to have the rods machined and the block bored .20.

You do have to have the 1g rods machined to fit 2g pistons, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to bore the 1g block to make the stock 2g pistons fit... unless you are buying .20 over 2g pistons.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back