The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Can I cut my A/C belt? [Merged 8-8] cutting remove removing ac

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dett21

Probationary Member
Apr 20, 2003
WisconsinUS
Well I haven't had A/C in about two years cause it broke, the only part left is the compressor, I just never took it out.

My question is,

Can I just cut the belt and unbolt the compressor? or does that belt run something else too?

Shouldn't be a problem my AC also stopped working last year and I cut the belt, that way the crank doesn't have to pull another pulley.

I have heard from others it's ok...

wont ever catch me doing such a thing... Texas heat is to much without an a/c.

texas heat? how bout Yuma, Arizona heat. its atleast 100 every day, i don't even drive when the suns up. I would so love for someone to sell me there dang compressor, cuz the dealer wants 600 bux for a new one, and i can't find anyone to sell me one. But i also had to cut my belt the day i moved to AZ cuz my compressor was smokin and making horrible noises. You wont screw anything up by cutting it

i guess its fine, i have all the parts but they guy i got the car from cut the belt off and only bad thing i can see is no ac

yeah, u can go ahead and take the belt off if u want, might add a little hp since the crank wont need to spin that pully anymore, and since the A/C dosent work at all u might as well take out the A/C compressor, less weight that thing is kinda heavy, also u can take the A/C condenser out to u will be able to cool your radiator better since that wont be in the way anymore

just my thoughts, jason

what kind of a job is taking the compressor and condenser out of the car, i really wanna do that....is it hard? would i have to take anything else out to get to that stuff?

Originally posted by clownface
what kind of a job is taking the compressor and condenser out of the car, i really wanna do that....is it hard? would i have to take anything else out to get to that stuff?

to get the compressor out jack your car up and get under there and its mounted to the back of the block held on by four 12mm bolts make sure u have a good hold of it b/c its kinda heavy, and as far as the condenser all u have to do is take your radiator out witch is only held on by four 12mm bolts on the top ( 2 on each side ) then take the radiator out and the condenser is right there and is only held on by two 12mm bolts, there will be hoses going to the condenser and compresser just make sure theres no freon in the lines and take them out with everything else, the job it farly easy and would take about a good hour if your a quick with a 12mm :thumb:

jason

My AC belt is rubbing agaisnt the timing belt cover and making some horrid noise. Is it ok to cut this until I have a chance to remove the AC all togather?

Esibnitsud said:
My AC belt is rubbing agaisnt the timing belt cover and making some horrid noise. Is it ok to cut this until I have a chance to remove the AC all togather?

It wont hurt to cut it, especially if you are taking the AC out all together. I have a feeling you noise wont go away with just the cut of that belt.

Michael
:talon: :laser:

dont do what i did i took the front belt off thats the power sterring i didnt know the a/c was in the back :cry:

Hi, my alternator belt popped off once again but now as i look i see that my rear belt is shredded in half. So after i searched i found out that that rear belt only goes to the air conditioning. So basically i cut that rear belt off and i tightened the alternator belt with an oem one not the damn napa one.

so now am i ok? dunno why this happened, but like there wont be any problems with removing the rear ac belt (like to much of the crank pully being pulled forward??)

i plan on replacing it in the spring time

:cool:

No harm done. In my old car my a/c pipes broke and all the oil leaked to ground and i had to cut the belt in that instance to keep on driving :cool:

I need to cut out my A/C compressor belt (as a quick fix to a dying/rattling/grinding compressor issue).

Granted I havent tried yet, but I tried to cut a serpentine belt on an old Chevy truck recently and the thing simply refused to cut. What tool do you use?

Tips?

Thanks!

A pair of good quality tin snips or wire cutters should do the job. Worked for me, at least. They are hard to cut, that's for sure. Just go at it for a while, and you should be able to get it off without removing any other belts. If that doesn't work, hell, try a small saw blade or a Dremel, I guess. LOL (just be careful). The tin snips worked for me, though.

Thanks for the help guys!

Votes are in and here are the results:

(2) - Kiddie Safety Scissors
(2) - Dremel
(1) - Really Sharp Knife
(1) - Utility Knife + Brute Force
(1) - Tin Snips
(1) - Wire Cutters
(1) - Bolt Cutters
(1) - Blow Torch
(1) - Anger

So, my conclusions are that A) none of you agree on anything, and B) kiddie safety scissors (or a dremel as backup) are my best bets!

I like the Anger option though. If I get bored, I may put a screaming kid next to it and see what happens.

:thumb:

As someone else tried to suggest with inappropriate grammar, you might try loosening the idler and taking the belt off.
However, if you're asking how to cut a belt, it's probably best you don't get near any wrenches.

That was me with the grammar. AIM has advanced my short hand skills beyond comprehension. But seriously dude, put the wrench down and step away from the dsm :nono:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back