The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

OEM Timing Belt or aftermarket? [Merged 7-8] belts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moidsm1

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 14, 2002
Tucson_AZ
does anyone know if the Contitech timing belt is any good or is it crap?

Yeah i'm interested in the same thing. I heard they supply mitsu with all the belts. I can get a good deal on a whole timing belt kit but i just wanna make sure these are good b/c i know not everyone uses factory mitsu belts.

They're fine dude. People think their cars will explode or something if they don't go to the dealer. It'll work just fine.:dsm:

I know the OEM timing belts are good but has there ever been documented proof that pretty much nothing else is better than what comes from the dealer? I'm not trying to be a smartass but I have a feeling pretty much what everyone else has to say about the OEM t-belt is only regurgitated from what they've heard from thier friends and other people.

In all honesty, if the OEM belts are so good then why is there still stories of people having their t-belts fail on them? Am I the only one who has wondered this? Again, I'm not being a smartass I'm just really really curious. Cuz if we could get everyone off this "OEM t-belt bandwagon" then maybe there's more inexpensive, superior products out there.

I've seen other products out there that claim (in writing) to be superior and exceed the manufacturers specs. You can't just make claims like this and just slap it on the outside of your box. That's a big serious no no! Companys can lose millions when people find that their product is fraudulant. When I read things like this I can pretty much assure myself that the manufacturer has tested their products (i.e. stress test, longevity etc etc...).

Anyhoo, we have a lot of smart people on this board and a vastful of knowledge to keep anyone here occupied for weeks. I'd love to hear what other people think about this.

I just ordered a complete timing belt kit from www.drivewire.com (they use Contitech belts in all their kits). I paid less then $100 for everything including free shipping.

I just found out that Contitech is OEM for BMW, Mercedes. Porsche, Audi and Volkswagon.

Take this for what you will but I think everyone needs to step down from the "OEM tbelt" bandwagon.

I replaced my t-belt about 4 months ago. I used a Contitech t-belt and Gates alternator, ps, and air conditioner belts. Oh and the balance shaft belt is also a contitech. Some people are dumb on this board and say dumb stuff like using oem is the way to go. NOPE, not true. Other belts are just as good if not better. Get a good deal with either gates or contitech and your good to go. Oh and contitech makes the oem mitsu belts.:thumb:

Ok...so Contitech makes OEM belts for lots of European companies...they make OEM belts for Mitsus...hmm I think you just got an OEM belt...hmm are OEM belts good, yes, I haven't heard of an OEM timing belt failing that gone over 60K miles...if you replace the belt when you are supposed to, its most likely not going to fail.

Also this has nothing to do with the belts.

Would you buy the Tornado Air Charger...it creates a Vortex in the intake tract and gives you more hp and better gas mileage. So the company claims:rolleyes:

Originally posted by 13secGST
Ok...so Contitech makes OEM belts for lots of European companies...they make OEM belts for Mitsus...hmm I think you just got an OEM belt...hmm are OEM belts good, yes, I haven't heard of an OEM timing belt failing that gone over 60K miles...if you replace the belt when you are supposed to, its most likely not going to fail.

Also this has nothing to do with the belts.

Would you buy the Tornado Air Charger...it creates a Vortex in the intake tract and gives you more hp and better gas mileage. So the company claims:rolleyes:

I'm lost by everything you said. Nobody said oem mitsu belts are bad. We're just making a point about saying that any replacement timing belt for our cars are ok. Everyone says to only get oem but thats a bunch of bull its ok to get something else because they are going to be just as good. It's not going to harm anything. And actually YES the tornado air charger does give more hp gains to n/t vehicles. But it only gives like 1-5 hp on some cars but the cars they demostrate on are big v8 trucks that get close to 15 hp. It's not a joke it works but who cares b/c we have turbos!!! READ BEFORE YOU REPLY!!!!

I found out that Contitech is mitsu oem after i put it on my car. Gates belts aren't oem. The fact of the matter is that it is ok not to us oem for t-belt replacement. The only jackass here is you but i'l let it pass.

I will never buy OEM Mitsubishi parts may it be Timing belts, alternators, oil filters, etc.

They are OEM items and they are not made by Mitsubishi themselves. The are outsourced and rebadged or repackaged into Mitsubishi boxes and marked up twice the price. i refuse to give the dealers more of my money.

It does not mean that if it is not made my Mitsubishi, it's no good for our cars. What can they do, void my warranty of I dont use their product?? Well most (if not all) of the 2G turbos in this board have no warranty anymore since it's been ages since they produced the last GSX/GS-T. Besides, DSM people do not know how to leave a car stock so your warranty is already screwed the minute you add that turbo, new fuel pump, boos control, etc.

Great...now all these opinions have me worried...some say go OEM...some say go Contitech...some say they're the same...others say the're not and OEM is best. I'm getting my belts/waterpump done soon and need to know which would be the best choice. Can anyone show me substantial proof that OEM belts are made by Contitech?

Just get whatever...any of the belts will last at least 60K miles.

Things I would look at when buying would be mainly which has the better warrenty...then which is cheaper. I would mainly want whichever had the better warrenty even if it cost me 20 bucks more. And its not like timing belts are super expensive...the thing that makes a "timing belt" service expensive is the labor...the belts are cheap.

Originally posted by Defiant
I thought all timing belts were Kevlar. Hrm.

How long do they warrant these for, do you know?

I change mine at 50k miles, I'm not taking any chances. I bought OEM but if there's a cheaper t-belt out there just as good as OEM I'll buy it.

When I first did my T-belt I made the mistake of buying a belt at Checker. 4k miles later the belt slipped and bent vavles on me. Initialy I thought that I screwed up the tension but later I found out that the belt itself stretched! After only 4 thousand miles! But I didnt learn. I went to NAPA and bought an entire T-belt kit for my car. After 2k miles the tensioner pulley locked up and bent valves again!

Since then I will never buy anything but OEM parts. That was enough proof for me.

The reason people say "stick with OEM" is from what Roast Beef and I have had happen(many more have had this happen with cheap belts). I bought my car and it had a new timing belt from an auto parts store and balance shaft belt. Well around 5K miles later my timing belt's teeth got stripped off and I got a bunch of bent valves. I put new valves and valve seals in the head put a cometic gasket on and I put a OEM timing belt on. I wouldnt trust another timing belt besides the OEM. Why? Because the risk to me is to great. But this is all just me and my thoughts....its your choice. Also with those kevlar belts...I thought almost all timing belts were made of kevlar. Also would you be comfortable keeping a timing belt on your car for 150,000 miles straight?

My reasoning for buying OEM timing belts (or when it's time to do it anyway) is because I don't have peace of mind with the other ones. What I mean is, supposedly the other belts are stronger and are supposed to last longer. Does that mean you're going to wait twice as long until you replace them? Do you really trust them to last longer? I would still replace them every 60k, and OEM ones will last to 60k, so there's no point of spending extra money.

Originally posted by c5chris
I will never buy OEM Mitsubishi parts may it be Timing belts, alternators, oil filters, etc.

They are OEM items and they are not made by Mitsubishi themselves. The are outsourced and rebadged or repackaged into Mitsubishi boxes and marked up twice the price. i refuse to give the dealers more of my money.

It does not mean that if it is not made my Mitsubishi, it's no good for our cars. What can they do, void my warranty of I dont use their product?? Well most (if not all) of the 2G turbos in this board have no warranty anymore since it's been ages since they produced the last GSX/GS-T. Besides, DSM people do not know how to leave a car stock so your warranty is already screwed the minute you add that turbo, new fuel pump, boos control, etc.

Hate to break it to you guys but about the ONLY parts on DSM's that are truly considered to be TRULY Mitsubishi is the Engine/Tranny. Engines/trannys are typically made "in house" by a division of the parent company.

OEM. Origional Equipment Manufacturer. Note: MANUFACTURER. THis means that they are produced by the supplier that Mitsubshi approved to build and manufacture their parts. In this case, it sounds like it's Contitech.

Personally, I'd be leary of putting anything else on. Goodyear belts may be a good product, but there is no Guarantee that their belt meets or exceed the OEM standards. How would they know what the OEM standard is? Basically they reversed engineered the belt and copied it. Think about this? You can only measure a part so accurately. How accurate do you think Goodyear measured the belt and guessed what the tolerances were on it? Would you trust that guess or measurement?

Find a business that sells the OEM part on discount and stick with the OEM part.

Sad, and likely a poor mistake.

Just like every other part on your car, with the exception of the powertrain. Every car on the road today is this way. Nothing new.

Besides, DSM people do not know how to leave a car stock....

EXACTLY!!! Do you think Mitsubishi accounted for a kid adding a 20G, 800cc injectors, bigger fuel pump, etc? Accounting for the engine running 500hp vs 200hp? Accelerating twice as fast because of the lightened flywheel/clutch and added HP? The answer to that is NO.

The 60K recommended T-belt change interval is for a STOCK car. By bumping the HP up on your car you should increase the frequency of T-belt changes.

ok, i seen the link for the belt kit for $100, and prostreet has a kit for $180 and diamondstarmotorsports has one the kit for $275. With the prostreet one you get the T-belt,B-Belt, T-ten, B-ten?? and the pully plus a water pump. i posted this earler, so i thought i would post in here as well. Sence this is a T-belt fourm/post/thred.

I just did my timing belt/water pump using an OEM water pump and the Contitech timing belt kit and I have no complaints so far. Quality looked good but it's hard to tell as all belts pretty much look the same. If it snaps, you guys will be the first to know.

Originally posted by RipperXX
Not sure if anyone has posted this, (probly have) but there are vendors that make kevlar (sp?) T-belts that are up to 7 times stronger than OEM. I have an add for one vendor in a mag somewhere, I always ment to see if they made belts for DSM's.. I'll get around to it some time

I can see how a Kevlar belt would be needed for a drag stip Eclipse that needs the extra strength. I wouldn't trust an OEM belt on a car that has upgraded high pressure springs and large degreeds cam lobes.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back