The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Rounded flywheel bolts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostlessNT

So, 94 NT - input shaft was screwed - pissin transmission fluid everywhere, god knows what else was wrong with the tranny. Got a TSi tranny, clutch, flywheel and pressure plate from an autowrecker (6bolt) and proceeded to do the swap only to find that my NT is a 7bolt :mad:

So, obviously the 6bolt flywheel isn't going to work. No problem I figured - buy a 7bolt TSi flywheel and continue as per norm. Well, it's sunday and the major autowreckers around here that have parts for our cars aren't open, so gotta wait till Monday. In the meantime, I figured why not remove the 7bolt NT flywheel in anticipation for tomorrow. Had a hell of a time getting ANY progress at all. Used heat, penetrating oil, air impact & electric impact guns, ratchet & snipe, no dice. Let the bolts soak for a while, try again with the electric impact, and got 3 of them off. Finally, some progress. The remaining 4 were proving to be more problematic than the others.

Went and got a 3/4" electric impact (huuuge, mad power) ... got a new impact socket and proceeded to try the remaining 4 bolts on the flywheel. Well, between me and my buddy BOTH pushing as hard as we could on this impact gun, we simply couldn't keep it on the head (which by the way are far too shallow IMO) and ended up rounding the bolt to almost a perfect circle. Didn't take much, I tell ya.

What we're considering is drilling out the bolt(s) but we're paranoid that we'll screw something up in the crank if we're off a lil on the drilling. I'm not sure what else to try to try and get these bolts off ... they're more stubborn than my ex wife!!!

Suggestions/Comments/HELP ???

-Andrew

Mmm, loctite plus 100 ft-lbs of torque = a big farking pain in the ass getting them out. My shoulders are still sore from heaving away at that two weeks ago.

If you'd posted this ahead of time, I'd have suggested not using 12-point sockets on those little bastards. ;) The VFAQ suggests that the author may have done exactly what you did, and he just ground the little bugger off (and presumably tapped/drilled-out the remainder).

Good luck with the rest of your swap.

use snap-on fluted sockets with a 3/8 impact- will solve the problem in under 2 seconds.

Well since my auto trans died I am converting it to 5-speed. I havent had any problems until now. I got 4 out of the 6 bolts out and I am beginning to strip 2 of them. Is there a special socket or something I need? Theres not much of a head on the bolts. I hope I not gonna have to drill these bastards out, theyre huge. I wont be reusing these bolts, since theyre different then the other ones. Any idea's or anyone have this happen to them?

flywheel bolts on the auto?

Isn't there just a flex plate?

If you are taking the flywheel off of the donor car, and not giong to reuse them, you may have to drill a little bit. Have fun. Grade 10bolts.

i got the flywheel off the donor car, im just trying to get the other thing off my car where the flywheel is suppose to go and the bolts are beginning to strip, im gonna shoot them with some pb blaster maybe that will help, things are hella tourqed

well crap I better drop the 12 point for sure then. Im gonna see if i cant find an impact gun since i got a compressor I really hope to gettem out without having to drillem out thanks Man

Well, got the impact gun got the 17mm impact 6 point I rounded them to bad i cant getem out it keeps slipping. My dad has the idea to heat up the bolt with a torch and grab it with chanlocks or a pipe wrench. Im letting the last 2 soak overnight i sprayed them 3 times with PB Blaster. This sucks I messed up bigtime!

I was wondering, what would be the best way to take off a stripped flywheel bolt. Keep in mind, drilling is my last resort. I DO NOT want to do that.

I dont remember how large the flywheel bolts are, but you could always get a screw extractor kit (got mine from sears) and try that.. they are made to get out bolts w/ rounded edges. They make the ones you drill into the bolt, and ones that look like sockets, but w/ a different pattern

Ahh.. Seems like I was asking this not to long ago. I stripped/rounded 2 bolts trying to get the flexplate off for my converson, and i used some kinda rounded bolt extractor kit that i bought at sears to get one of them out, and i used my die grinder to square up the other and thats how i got it off. I sat for about a week and a half its not fun good luck

i just brought mine to a machine shop and then had the bolt off in 5 minz, i would not drill through the screw, if you mess the crank up, thatz not good

I am trying to remove the flywheel bolts on a "90 TSI AWD and am having a hard time getting them out. I have tried heat, to no avail. It almost looks like on the only bolt I got out that someone actually jb welded it. Any suggestions would be great.
Mike
And could a mod ### delete 2 of these posts. My enter key got stuck.

Just go to edit, then delete the post and for the reason put enter key got stuck, otherwise, try to get a drill bit to cut into the screw, not too big that you'll ruin the the threads, but enough to get most of the screw drilled out. If that fails, take it to a machine shop they should be able to get it out.

napkinthief said:
Just go to edit, then delete the post and for the reason put enter key got stuck, otherwise, try to get a drill bit to cut into the screw, not too big that you'll ruin the the threads, but enough to get most of the screw drilled out. If that fails, take it to a machine shop they should be able to get it out.
That is what I figured I would have to do. Thanks for the answer to both. Cant believe I didnt think of delete.
Mike

Are you using an impact or just a socket and ratchet? I used an impact on mine and they came right out even with loctite on them.

95bLaCkGsTuRbO said:
Are you using an impact or just a socket and ratchet? I used an impact on mine and they came right out even with loctite on them.
I am actually waiting on My neighbor to wake up so I can borrow his and see if it helps before drilling them out. Will let you guys know what comes of it.
\Mike

if you dont got an impact then take a breaker bar and a rubber hammer and hit the breaker bar not real hard but enough to jar the bolt a lil bit to get it broken loose.

hope this helps

A lot of heat and then a breaker bar :) Otherwise drill OR just cut the heads of the bolts off. It'll take the pressure off the threads and they should just spin right out. :talon:

Ive done alot of these and an impact gun was by far the easiest. Or heat then impact gun. Took me 30 seconds with a 260 ft. lb. impact gun.

Dayum!! JB weld? Use an acetylene torch. This does 2 things. First heated metal expands. This allows the bolt to be 'looser" than not heating. Also if it has locktite it helps in burning that off. Use a hand held impact driver. The ones that we used to use on our motorcycles to remove those pesky Phillips screws in years gone by. Anyway, heat the bolt head hot and using the impact driver and proper socket strike with a BFH. Big freakin hammer. Make sure it's a 6 point impact socket. Do not use 12 point sockets here or you'll be sorrrrrrrrryyyyyy. Heat hot and strike, repeat as necessary. This has never failed for me. You will also want to replace the bolts when you are done. You will need someone to hold the torch for you after you heat. Do not lay down on concrete or you will have a rather nasty surprise. Concrete explodes when heated. Be careful and have a fire extinguisher handy. Good Luck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back