The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Which / What Oil Should I Use? [Merged]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashed97tsi

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 21, 2002
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Hi

Just wondering, what kind of oil do you guys put in your car and how many quarts? I put it Castrol sythetic 10W- 30. Is this the right weight to put in the car

Thanks
Dan

My 1996 GSX was my original baby so she gets the good stuff. Amsoil 10w30. My 1G will soon switch over to Amsoil again if I get a raise. Been using Quaker State 10w30 since the rebuild last year. I just change it more often.

I use Amsoil Synthetic 10W-30 and LOVE IT (feels like baby oil and looks almost clear LOL. My friend at work is a distributor for them and gets my the oil and filter at his cost (about $35-40 for everything....5 quarts and a filter).

best oil? ive been used to the mobil 1 tri-synthetic 10w-30 but now since they decided to change that oil into something (which ive heard isnt fully synthetic), i was just curious to see what you guys think is the best oil for our cars...

i heard for turboed engines Castrol GTX is the best.. thats what i use. my uncle owns a shop and thats what he said. its not synthetic but i guess its best for turbo tho.

Redline,amsol(sp) are good so I have heard. The thing about redline is that it is really thin and will leak.

Imagine how much easier it is on a high reving engine. It's right if you notice one drop of oil with GTX and change to redline then you will have a puddle. If it is lock tight to begin with then there wont be any problem.

I really like Castrol Syntec. It's cheaper than Mobil1, fully synthetic, and got rid of my lifter-tick completely. Whitens whites, and Brightens colors, julienne fries, and got rid of my rancid bathroom stains.

Serious though, give Syntec a try. It worked great for me.

-Jesse

Royal Purple is what goes in my car.

Synthetic 20w50 during race season (usually mobil or Castrol Syntec)
Synthetic 5w30 during the winter (usually mobil or Castrol Syntec) since it reaches below zero from time to time.

I ran Redline oil in my 10K rpm type r, and it protected my engine, but it broke down fast, hella fast. It's good ass oil but it's expensive to keep up with. Synergyn, Royal Purple, & AMSOil are supposed to be good also, give them a shot. I personally think that as long as it's synthetic and you change your oil religiously then you'll be ok.

...Redline will only cause leaks if there was already problem, if deposits were forming a seal they will be carried away...

Bingo bango. This is why I can't stress enough to make sure your motor is in good running order BEFORE you start modifying things. If there is an existing problem, more power will simply aggrevate that problem more. Saying a motor oil causes leaks is like saying an exhaust system causes your head gasket to blow. If there was a leak to be had, chances are it was already there. If there was a head gasket to blow, chances are, it was on it's way out long before you put that exhaust on. See the analogy?

Regards,

i run a Mobil1 synthetic - 10w-30 in summer and 5w-30 in the winter...works fine for me...maybe ill try something new next oil change.

JD

5w30?
10w40?
etc..??
which one works good and whats the diff? thanx

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back