The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

different t28 turbos?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ofgofg

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
kc, Kentucky
Im looking to buy a t28 for my 95 tsi awd. Its a bit confusing. As far as I can tell, there is a 1200+ $$ fp big t28 and then there is a 900+$$ garrett t28 for dsm. Whats the difference? Does one make more power than the other? Does one spool quicker? Does one hold boost better? Also, is it a good idea to get a 17 psi actuator? I think the garrett has either 8 or 10 psi from stock. Car is going to be fairly mild. Not looking to break anything, so not tuning for max performance. Quick spool, and improvement over stock are the goals.

Most likely the garret is a bb gt28.The fp t28 is a journal bearing t28.The t28 is a direct bolt on for your car.

Although.Unless you have deep pockets,my suggestion would be going with a 14b for a 1/4 of the price. Pm jusmx141 for a 14b.;)

Wrong- both are journal bearing. The FP T28 has a stronger actuator and a different (better-flowing) turbine wheel...the compressors are the same.

G-Pop Shop can convert a non-blown T25 to a Big T28 for around $700- that's the low end of the scale. Your other option is to buy a Small 16G which is a more common turbo with nearly the same potential and better reliability.

What aboot the garrett gt28r.That's the one I was talking about.I was not aware there was a journal bearing garrett gt28.Let me check the garrett site.To make sure I didn't know about the journal bearing one.

To my suprise, the garret site does not list a 28 journal bearing.

Let me check the garrett site.To make sure I didn't know about the journal bearing one.

To my suprise, the garret site does not list a 28 journal bearing.
Part # 705329-0002

Last edited:
On smog, it depends on where you are at. I pass smog with my 16g, if they ask i claim its a first gen 14b and they dont say anything. But dont take my word on it. Could be different elsewhere.

It looks like the ebay vendor obx has a 2g replacement turbo they are saying is t25 based. Has the correct intake elbow and such for a 2g stock intake system. Wondering if thats any good. So is it worth the extra 300+ dollars to get an FP big t28 versus a 900 dollar garrett t28?

I ahve the Garret T28. Perfect turbo. I love it especially if you never plan to make more than 300whp.

Alright, so I guess its a moot point now. I scored that gt28 off ebay. So, for now Im going to run it at stock psi using stock boost solenoid. When I get the IC piping fixed, it will get a spearco big side mount, and an evo IX recirc valve. Perhaps later this summer I will rewire the fuel pump, and get dsm link.

I actually run my FP T28 at 18 psi with stock fuel pump, stock 450cc injectors, PR FMIC and 1G Bov, the injduty is + or - 98% on WOT on ecmlink V3 and my wb at 10.2:1. So i figure you can raise to boost to 15 psi safely with your ic piping fixed.

I will swap my stock fuel pump this week end for a 255lph and my stock injectors for new fic 650cc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, so I got the ebay gt28 for 600 bucks. As in the ad it came with no factory packaging. So, how can I tell its the real deal? Any markings or characteristics i should look for? It sais garrett Japan. Is that right? I thought they were made down under?

Looks like probably not a GT28,, but an older T28. Its got a white painted strip on both wheels,

A/R .48 M24

WXLH

N5S
85PH1

TR0759

LG 0107J

705329-2

Waste gate actuator sais:

PF
CO
430819-283
53395 06038

Last edited:
Pictures of turbine wheels.

Attachments

• talon white 014.jpg
    talon white 014.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 287
  • talon white 015.jpg
    talon white 015.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 302
AWSOME! The stock number is 705329-2. no zeros in front of the 2. Unfortunately it was packed in the raw, no plastic bag to seal out crud,, so in the pics you can see little particals of what seems to be foam or plastic. Going to take it to work today and blow it out real well using compressed air,, then see about cycling some oil through it.

No adjustable actuator, but I may want to replace the actuator with higher psi,, or adjustable?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back