The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Ignition Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quaxel

Probationary Member
Mar 16, 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Okay so i looked around a bit and couldn't find another situation like this on the forums.... I bought my first DSM (95 eclipse gs) a few weeks ago, with only a few mechanical problem, all of which are minor. The worst of which was the ignition. i put the key in, turn it to start, it fires right up: no problem. however, if i let the key go it just slides back too off and the car kills. If i pull the key out and jiggle it just a bit i can get it to stay in the ON position after a few minutes of trying. Obviously this wasn't fun, so i decided to fix it. HERES WHERE IM CONFUSED. i ordered a new ignition cylinder and followed forums on installing it. got it all installed, and i have the EXACT same problem.... so if it's not the ignition cylinder, what is it??? ideas?

any idea if it would be cheaper to fix this, or just stick a push-to-start in? il do whatever is cheaper. information, or suggestions on the current problem, or some advice on a push-to-start would be appreciated! thanks!

oh, and no that i know its not the ignition cylinder itself i was thinking maybe it could be the little part that attatches to the ignition cylinder. il post a pic of this part (im not sure exactly what its called)

Thanks for any and all help you can give!

Attachments

• IMG_20120326_193439.jpg
    IMG_20120326_193439.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20120328_160833.jpg
    IMG_20120328_160833.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 58
i run it naked... just the ignition key right now, although who knows what was hanging there while the previous owner drove. so i don't think thats it :( thanks though!

UPDATE: I went and played with it a bit, and realized i wasn't clear on one thing in the posting: The key slides back to the Acc position, not the lock position, and is unable to stay in the ON position.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back