The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Setting timing with a light.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m3five11

Probationary Member
Jan 11, 2012
Calgary, AB_Canada
Hey all,

I was just looking to set up my base timing .... or at least verify its where it should be, what I am wondering is pretty straight forward, but I would just like to be sure.

Instead of using timing marks on the lower timing belt cover, could you not find the 5 degrees BTDC mark using a digital light with an offset function?

It just seems awkward pointing the light down the side of the wheel well there, and I feel like different angles will result in different settings based on the angle you are viewing from. I'm looking to be as accurate as possible....

Would marking the cam gears and setting the offset on the light yield the same result? If not...why?

You should get a lot better accuracy by checking it at the mark on the lower front cover. Why? Because the marks more pronounced (there is no upper mark to line the cam gears to), and because the crankshaft moves twice as many degrees per revolution as the cams, therfore making it twice as accurate.

Another great idea would be to pull a spark plug, and measure the accuracy of the timing mark on the harmonic balancer. They tend to move.

Alright, the timing cover I have below doesn't have the marks for whatever reason, so I will go try and nab a cover with the marks. Thats the reason I'm asking.

As far as the timing mark on the cams, I was talking about the tdc mark where the cams meet, if you watch that and set you timing light to whatever degree you are looking for... the light should be flashing where you can see the two lines meeting again ? should it not?

With any luck I can find a proper cover without too much trouble, but ultimately I was looking for an alternate route to set my base timing properly.

Sure that's all fine and dandy, but for the reasons I outlined in post two, it's still going to be more accurate to measure crank angle at the crank as intended. This assumes you took the time to check the accuracy of the marks at the crank.

Not to mention belts stretch, heads get milled further throwing the cam angle out of whack...

Nah, this is a 1g in a 2g build.
With a few extra performance goodies.... I will update my profile as I find pics and stuff as I go.

I had an older account here but I didn't really post and I figure I may as well start new since its been so long.

Regardless, it is a 1g motor with the 1g sensor spliced into the two 2g harnesses respectively. I'll have to read through that link tomorrow am and see because I know my timing light has a 10 degree setting for sure and , this is a stock head with stock cams, so it may just do the trick for now.

I just want to make sure I'm reasonably close to where I need to be so I can set up my e-manage (yes...let me get my flame suit on...) up and functioning enough so I can book some proper dyno time to speed up some tuning time.

And just for my curiosity, why wouldn't a 2g be unable to set base timing when you have the test harness you can ground out just for this purpose? My appologies if that is an ignorant question, but I can't see a reason why you couldn't do it whether or not the ecu receives a pulse from 1 sensor or 2 individual ones , provided it is receiving the appropriate pulse count.

I do appreciate all the input though, this is some great info.
Also, thanks for the link abaum, I don't know why I couldn't come across that in my searching..

Sorry for the excessive posting, but at a quick read through that timing post looks like what I have had in mind.

But, as far as I can tell, when you have the timing set to 0 degrees, in his second video (sift through the photobucket and you will find it, the link is bunk), the timing light shows it just about a tooth off at 5 degrees.

Does that look about right to you guys ?

you can't adjust the timing on a stock setup because the sensors don't move. 1g style sensors bolted to the passenger side of the head are adjustable just like moving a distributor would do.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back