Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011, 03:48 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 19

Stock rods and forged pistons

Can I get a set of forged pistons the will work on my stock rods??

Are what's a good set pistons that will!!

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:52 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 9,199
Photos: 17
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 16
Send a message via Yahoo to iugrad92turbo
Forged pistons on stock rods.

Ecmlink

Sd on e 85 soon
Visit iugrad92turbo's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 10-12-2011, 04:06 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 6,590
Classifieds Rating: 29
Send a message via AIM to LiquidX
In my honest opinion, if you are going to get forged pistons you may as well get the insurance of stronger rods.

97 ṰŠlΩИ ṰƧɨ Λ₩ƿ

Old 10-12-2011, 04:11 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 501
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: 3
Agreed^^^^ but hell, theres a guy on here that made 600 sum hp on 1g rods.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 10-12-2011, 04:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

I was looking at stock rods and forged pistons but, im not going that route after doing my research.

Ecmlink

Sd on e 85 soon

Old 10-12-2011, 04:59 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 30
Classifieds Rating: 21
This may be a silly question but why are you swapping out the pistons. If they need to replaced of course go for it but if not id invest the money elsewhere.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:23 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 62
Photos: 14
Classifieds Rating: 0
Rods are cheaper than pistons in most cases lol.. So I'd suggest doing it all to stock format. I personally did CP pistons with Manley H beam rods.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:32 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Ive been looking at manley rods, not sure of pistons yet.

Ecmlink

Sd on e 85 soon

Old 10-12-2011, 07:11 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Depending on the power you plan on making Manley H beam "economy" rods are great, decent price and will support 700hp all day. I've got a few friends who run them in their daily drivers, myself included... But for mad power the I beams are around $800 and support well over 1000hp. And for pistons CP is the best IMO.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 34
i do know manley rods are a good choice but what do you think about the eagle rods, and yea if your doing the pistons then you should get rods as well.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 11,738
Photos: 13
Classified Ads: 3
Classifieds Rating: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96-talon View Post
Can I get a set of forged pistons the will work on my stock rods??
If you're planning on using these in your 2G, you'd actually be better off using stronger rods with the stock pistons as the pistons are definitely NOT the weak link on that engine.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

IMO. Take it as you will - but the shop I work for only suggests manley due to the fact they are lighter more balanced & come with a better finishing machining wise of the eagles plus gives a more precise balance!... Eagles are forged were as manley are actual billet steel. manley hold more power for a longer time. yea you can say you hit over 800hp with eagle H beam "but for how long?". . Manley H beams - all day

Old 10-13-2011, 06:05 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
DSMtuners Supporting Vendor

Jackson Auto Machine 

Tech Posts: 598
Classifieds Rating: 1
Reputation: JacksonAuto is extremely helpful and trustworthyJacksonAuto is extremely helpful and trustworthyJacksonAuto is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankwalker95 View Post
IMO. Take it as you will - but the shop I work for only suggests manley due to the fact they are lighter more balanced & come with a better finishing machining wise of the eagles plus gives a more precise balance!... Eagles are forged were as manley are actual billet steel. manley hold more power for a longer time. yea you can say you hit over 800hp with eagle H beam "but for how long?". . Manley H beams - all day
What shop do you work for? Agreed on all points except one. The Eagle and Manley are both forged. The Manley H beam is not billet. Even the Manley and Oliver I-beams which are advertised as billet are not. It's all marketing.

To the OP, think about saving some more $$ and getting a set of Manley or Eagle rods to go with the pistons. If you're pushing the limits of the stock pistons, or plan to in the future, you will appreciate the increased reliability of a set of good rods.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 39
Classifieds Rating: 4
I ran 1g rods je pistons for years, hard, on about 420 hp, it all depends on your hp goals

Old 10-13-2011, 12:45 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by em5780 View Post
This may be a silly question but why are you swapping out the pistons. If they need to replaced of course go for it but if not id invest the money elsewhere.
Got no compresion on cyl 3 got bad rings cars got 146,000 and stock bottom end with a 16 g

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmx141 View Post
If you're planning on using these in your 2G, you'd actually be better off using stronger rods with the stock pistons as the pistons are definitely NOT the weak link on that engine.

So I going pull my head tonight going see how it looks any small stuff I can do while i got it apart ?? Need some pointers not going for crazy power plan to run 15 psi Daliy

Last edited by 96-talon; 10-13-2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 10-13-2011, 01:29 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 806
Photos: 37
Classifieds Rating: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to -red97rum-
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankwalker95 View Post
Depending on the power you plan on making Manley H beam "economy" rods are great, decent price and will support 700hp all day. I've got a few friends who run them in their daily drivers, myself included... But for mad power the I beams are around $800 and support well over 1000hp. And for pistons CP is the best IMO.
I'm going to disagree with you on CP pistons being the best (for a 4G63 at least).

Have you ever read this thread?
Cp Stocking Pistons Has Major flaw!!

To the OP, if you're only planning on running 15psi don't even waste your time with forged pistons. Buy a set of NPR cheapo OEM replacements off ebay or parts dinosaur and do a standard stock rebuild. The stock shit is going to put up with whatever you throw at it with only 15psi of boost. Or see if you can find a decent stock bottom end 6 bolt for cheap and swap it in.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:09 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by -red97rum- View Post
I'm going to disagree with you on CP pistons being the best (for a 4G63 at least).

Have you ever read this thread?
Cp Stocking Pistons Has Major flaw!!

To the OP, if you're only planning on running 15psi don't even waste your time with forged pistons. Buy a set of NPR cheapo OEM replacements off ebay or parts dinosaur and do a standard stock rebuild. The stock shit is going to put up with whatever you throw at it with only 15psi of boost. Or see if you can find a decent stock bottom end 6 bolt for cheap and swap it in.
Sorry for the noob question, but does this mean that you can slap an
FP 68HTA turbo on your DSM and keep it at/below 15psi without putting forged pistons, rods, etc. on?

Old 10-17-2011, 06:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Bob View Post
Sorry for the noob question, but does this mean that you can slap an
FP 68HTA turbo on your DSM and keep it at/below 15psi without putting forged pistons, rods, etc. on?
You absolutely could. Stock internals are extremely strong, I can't think of a single turbo that could surpass the limits of the stock engine's rods and pistons at 15psi, lol.

- Jon