Stock rods and forged pistons

Posted by 96-talon, Oct 12, 2011
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. 96-talon

96-talon Probationary Member

Lemoore, California
    Can I get a set of forged pistons the will work on my stock rods??

Are what's a good set pistons that will!!
  2. iugrad92turbo

iugrad92turbo Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
  3. LiquidX

LiquidX DSM Wiseman

New Cumberland, Pennsylvania
    In my honest opinion, if you are going to get forged pistons you may as well get the insurance of stronger rods.
  4. jimbob_843

jimbob_843 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Dorchester, South_Carolina
    Agreed^^^^ but hell, theres a guy on here that made 600 sum hp on 1g rods.
  5. iugrad92turbo

DSM Profiles:
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I was looking at stock rods and forged pistons but, im not going that route after doing my research.
  6. em5780

em5780 Proven Member

bogota, New_Jersey
    This may be a silly question but why are you swapping out the pistons. If they need to replaced of course go for it but if not id invest the money elsewhere.
  7. crankwalker95

crankwalker95 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Avon, Indiana
    Rods are cheaper than pistons in most cases LOL.. So I'd suggest doing it all to stock format. I personally did CP pistons with Manley H beam rods.
  8. iugrad92turbo

DSM Profiles:
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Ive been looking at manley rods, not sure of pistons yet.
  9. crankwalker95

DSM Profiles:
    Avon, Indiana
    Depending on the power you plan on making Manley H beam "economy" rods are great, decent price and will support 700hp all day. I've got a few friends who run them in their daily drivers, myself included... But for mad power the I beams are around $800 and support well over 1000hp. And for pistons CP is the best IMO.
  10. natural laser

natural laser Proven Member

Spokane, Washington
    i do know manley rods are a good choice but what do you think about the eagle rods, and yea if your doing the pistons then you should get rods as well.
  11. JusMX141

JusMX141 Moderator

DSM Profiles:
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    If you're planning on using these in your 2G, you'd actually be better off using stronger rods with the stock pistons as the pistons are definitely NOT the weak link on that engine.

[​IMG]
  12. crankwalker95

DSM Profiles:
    Avon, Indiana
    IMO. Take it as you will - but the shop I work for only suggests manley due to the fact they are lighter more balanced & come with a better finishing machining wise of the eagles plus gives a more precise balance!... Eagles are forged were as manley are actual billet steel. manley hold more power for a longer time. yea you can say you hit over 800hp with eagle H beam "but for how long?". . Manley H beams - all day
  13. JacksonAuto

JacksonAuto Supporting Vendor

Hanover, Maryland
    What shop do you work for? Agreed on all points except one. The Eagle and Manley are both forged. The Manley H beam is not billet. Even the Manley and Oliver I-beams which are advertised as billet are not. It's all marketing.

To the OP, think about saving some more $$ and getting a set of Manley or Eagle rods to go with the pistons. If you're pushing the limits of the stock pistons, or plan to in the future, you will appreciate the increased reliability of a set of good rods.
  14. Rogi

Rogi Proven Member

Atlanta, Georgia
    I ran 1g rods je pistons for years, hard, on about 420 hp, it all depends on your hp goals
  15. 96-talon

96-talon Probationary Member

Lemoore, California
    Got no compresion on cyl 3 got bad rings cars got 146,000 and stock bottom end with a 16 g

So I going pull my head tonight going see how it looks any small stuff I can do while i got it apart ?? Need some pointers not going for crazy power plan to run 15 psi Daliy
  16. -red97rum-

-red97rum- Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Ontario, California
    I'm going to disagree with you on CP pistons being the best (for a 4G63 at least).

Have you ever read this thread?
    http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cyl...89143-cp-stocking-pistons-has-major-flaw.html

To the OP, if you're only planning on running 15psi don't even waste your time with forged pistons. Buy a set of NPR cheapo OEM replacements off eBay or parts dinosaur and do a standard stock rebuild. The stock sh** is going to put up with whatever you throw at it with only 15psi of boost. Or see if you can find a decent stock bottom end 6 bolt for cheap and swap it in.
  17. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Probationary Member

Tampa, Florida
    Sorry for the noob question, but does this mean that you can slap an
    FP 68HTA turbo on your DSM and keep it at/below 15psi without putting forged pistons, rods, etc. on?
  18. Colip

Colip Probationary Member

Indianapolis, Indiana
    You absolutely could. Stock internals are extremely strong, I can't think of a single turbo that could surpass the limits of the stock engine's rods and pistons at 15psi, LOL.

- Jon