The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

just bought tsi...... but shifts hard *help*

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsi40422

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 16, 2011
Bartow, Florida
Well I just bought a 95 tsi fwd the guy who sold it to me said it had a (something something) pressure plate and that's why it shifts hard......it doesn't grind and it runs really good......I'm getting used to it now but I've never seen a cat that takes effort to shift....if this is bad please tell me.....ohh and he said that if I change the pressure plate to another one or a stock one that it will shift like a Honda which I'm sure he meant it will glide with no effort

Thanks guys

how does it shift? have to force into gear? does it grind at all?

You really don't have to force it in its just hard kinda like if you shift slow it feels really hard not Luke its stuck or anything but when you shift fast its still hard but you tend to notice it less. But no grinds either

Could be, tob, transmission, cables could need to be adjusted, clutch rod inside car be may need to adjusted, clutch, pp could be damaged, best thing since you dont know history of it is to tear it down, not a bad idea to do some maintenance.

Does it kind of jam into gear? Like stutter slightly? Does it get better once it warms up?

Drive the car on a level parking lot spot so it won't roll by itself while in neutral and push the clutch in with the car in first gear. Rev the engine to 6500rpms. If the car at ANY times starts to move forward, you need to adjust your clutch pedal.

I don't think you can really adjust the shift cables in a 2g. I replaced mine and it didn't look like there was a place for adjustment.

Does it kind of jam into gear? Like stutter slightly? Does it get better once it warms up?

Drive the car on a level parking lot spot so it won't roll by itself while in neutral and push the clutch in with the car in first gear. Rev the engine to 6500rpms. If the car at ANY times starts to move forward, you need to adjust your clutch pedal.

I don't think you can really adjust the shift cables in a 2g. I replaced mine and it didn't look like there was a place for adjustment.

It stays the same hardness even after I drive it a long time but I just flushed the tranny and put fresh oil in and it might be better than before but still hard.....but I will try what you said and get back to you....

Do u mean the gears are hard to get into place? Or as u let the clutch out it just grabs and there is no slipping? A gear being hard to get into place could be a number of things, but a pressure plate is not likely the issue causing it. Does the car go thru the gears pretty smoothly other than hard to engage the gear from a neutral position? I would suggest bleeding your slave cylinder and make sure your clutch is fully disengaging before getting into anything else. Because if the clutch doesnt fully disengage and the engine is not letting the trans sync from gear to gear cause of the clutch that could be a problem. Had a similar issue in an 89gsx that had air in the slave cylinder. Worth a shot, and wont cost you more than a few bux for brake fluid and about 20 min if u have someone to help you. Basically the same as bleeding brakes if you dont already know how or where to look...

Do u mean the gears are hard to get into place? Or as u let the clutch out it just grabs and there is no slipping? A gear being hard to get into place could be a number of things, but a pressure plate is not likely the issue causing it. Does the car go thru the gears pretty smoothly other than hard to engage the gear from a neutral position? I would suggest bleeding your slave cylinder and make sure your clutch is fully disengaging before getting into anything else. Because if the clutch doesnt fully disengage and the engine is not letting the trans sync from gear to gear cause of the clutch that could be a problem. Had a similar issue in an 89gsx that had air in the slave cylinder. Worth a shot, and wont cost you more than a few bux for brake fluid and about 20 min if u have someone to help you. Basically the same as bleeding brakes if you dont already know how or where to look...

Well it goes Into all the gears fine its just, I mean there's no problem getting into any gears its just hard/slow kinda like if you try to move your whole arm as fast as you can underwater and its a lot slower and it needs more effort to do it compared to doing it out of the water........I'm not sure if that helps any with trying to imagine how it would feel

does it have a short shifter? ### i just installed on one my talon and the shifts are harder but shorter

does it have a short shifter? ### i just installed on one my talon and the shifts are harder but shorter

Yea it has a short shifter I'm thinking that could be part of the problem(if its a problem)

yea thats it man dont worry you will get used to it and its way funner than those long ass stock shifts

The best thing I ever did was get the stainless steel clutch line and put half and half of Redline MTL and Redline MT90 in the transmission (Amazing difference from what the auto parts stores sell). But I didn't really have any problems with my actual shifter, it was just a terrible feeling shift with the clutch.

You could also do the skate board bearing mod and get the shifter bushing kit. That will improve the shifter feel. Everyone goes on about how much better that makes it.

You'll have to look these up since I'm at work and don't have time.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back