Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 09:17 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 188
Classifieds Rating: 11
Send a message via AIM to Moonlight GSX Send a message via Yahoo to Moonlight GSX Send a message via Skype™ to Moonlight GSX

Rear Differential Knocking Sound

After looking through the forums I didn't, again, find exactly what I was looking for. Related to the rear differential, is it supposed to actually make a "locking or knocking" sound when going into reverse? Or even when shifting in 1st-5th? It's almost as if the transfer case is "free flying" when I'm off the gas and re-engages when I get on it again. As for the reverse portion, that knocking sound always comes up when going backwards as if there is a bit of "space" floating between the forward and reverse points... should I just have the transmission, transfer case, and rear differential rebuilt (was planning on doing this later)?

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:24 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 614
Photos: 12
Classifieds Rating: 0
If it clunks every time you shift, your rear differential bushings may be bad now..

It really depends on how it sounds. are you sure its from your differential.?

View photos of this member's car 

Old 06-28-2011, 09:26 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Car: Evo X GSR
Tech Posts: 5,208
Classifieds Rating: 0
Lots of 2Gs have excessive backlash in the rear diff. It's not only annoying, but it can greatly increase the odds of the rear diff exploding on a hard launch (because impacts are more likely to cause damage than the mere transmission of force). You can buy the parts and rebuild it yourself or send it off to a place like TRE. But check the bushings on the diff and subframe, first, since that's easier and cheaper.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:12 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Banana Republic

Tech Posts: 4,643
Photos: 65
Classifieds Rating: 14
The symptoms you're describing sound like worn carrier bearing(s) or u-joint(s) on the driveshaft.

E-OCHOCINCO Powered FP HTA68 / stock 7-bolt / Shep 4

Old 07-03-2011, 01:44 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 188
Classifieds Rating: 11
Send a message via AIM to Moonlight GSX Send a message via Yahoo to Moonlight GSX Send a message via Skype™ to Moonlight GSX
I'll have a look at those, thanks for the help - became concerned. If it is the carrier bearings or u-joints are these expensive to replace? And what would be the level of difficulty for a inexperienced person such as myself to replace these (if they are in fact "bad")?

Old 07-03-2011, 07:48 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 155
Classifieds Rating: 12
+ on u joints.. easy way to check is put car in neutral and get under need with the rear jacked up and spin it back and forth by and watching the u joints.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:35 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Banana Republic

Tech Posts: 4,643
Photos: 65
Classifieds Rating: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight GSX View Post
I'll have a look at those, thanks for the help - became concerned. If it is the carrier bearings or u-joints are these expensive to replace? And what would be the level of difficulty for a inexperienced person such as myself to replace these (if they are in fact "bad")?
JNZTuning: 2g DS Rebuild Kit

I wouldn't consider it EXPENSIVE to replace, just more of a pain in the butt to do the rebuild/installation of it all. Just be sure that if you do drop the DS and replace the carrier bearings yourself that you mark the alignment of the DS before disassembling it. If you don't, or for whatever reason you marked it wrong, you'll have to take it to someone to get it balanced so it doesn't vibrate like hell. That DS Rebuild Kit that I linked to above DOES NOT include the u-joints, if you want to get those as well (which I suggest since you are tearing apart the DS) call JNZ and ask to include them as well.

To get an idea of what you'll actually be getting yourself into here is a VFAQ Article on it. 1g DS Rebuild

E-OCHOCINCO Powered FP HTA68 / stock 7-bolt / Shep 4

Old 07-10-2011, 10:20 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 517
Classifieds Rating: 9
Check the three bushings on by your rear differential. My LSD rear end went out from lots of hard launches screwing up those bushings and causing the rear differential to go out. (had chunks of gear and clutch material in it). Juat check all the rubber busing you see for play or cracking or even torn. Oh by the way got my Brembo's on. not very hard at all. Have had them on for like 2 weeks with no issues.