The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Strut Squeak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DearestNameless

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 16, 2010
Linton, Indiana
My car has been squeaking like when I hit bumps or turn corners and now its worse then ever I can push on the fender, shut the door, or turn the wheel all the time and get it to squeak. I took it to the shop and they said it was the front drivers side strut and mount. A price of 207 + tax for the parts and 200+ for labor. I'm not even sure this is the problem. What should I do I looked up KYB GR-2s and I can get a set of 4 for 198$ shipped. I asked them and they said they would put on aftermarket parts but at 200+ a strut thats like 800 bucks. So I guess basically should I trust that the shop diagnosed it right? Should I order the KYB struts? Should I pay them to do it or do it myself? And lastly how do I do it? Thanks.

I would look pillow mount bushing. If your handy you can rent a spring compressor and do the work yourself. It is really easy to change the struts. Last time I had a sqeak it was the bushing and not the strut, but like I said before they are super easy to change in an afternoon if it happens to be the strut.

You miz well pay the shop to put in the struts, unless its only a 20 mile drive to the shop..Remember your going to need a full 4 wheel allignment after install..

You miz well pay the shop to put in the struts, unless its only a 20 mile drive to the shop..Remember your going to need a full 4 wheel allignment after install..

You don't need a 4 wheel align afterward unless you are changing the ride hieght.

Okay I called them back and told them I was going to be purchasing the 4 struts. They said they would install them all in 6 hours @ 60$ a hour for a total of 360$.

Is it worth it to even bother changing them myself. I need to car ASAP but I do have something to drive for now. I do not have a way to compress the springs unless Autozone would have one for rent, which I doubt. But I'm always down for learning and trying new things.

If someone could tell me if its worth the time vs money saved that would be great. Also they said if I purchased them myself I would need 4 struts and the mounts.

Do the eBay KYB GR-2 kits come with the mounts? If not where do I buy these? Is there anything else they will need for the install or something else I should replace while I'm there as well?

Thanks again.

This is what I plan to buy so far:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Just my two cents, but when my car had the same symptoms it was the lower lateral arms ball joint...

Are you sure? I changed a shock mount on my old Pulsar and after everything was back together, it seemed like the alignment was off a bit, and it wasn't before the repair.

I can't speak for the pulsar but I do know that if the ride hieght is not changed then the aligment should not change.

Okay I called them back and told them I was going to be purchasing the 4 struts. They said they would install them all in 6 hours @ 60$ a hour for a total of 360$.

Is it worth it to even bother changing them myself. I need to car ASAP but I do have something to drive for now. I do not have a way to compress the springs unless Autozone would have one for rent, which I doubt. But I'm always down for learning and trying new things.

If someone could tell me if its worth the time vs money saved that would be great. Also they said if I purchased them myself I would need 4 struts and the mounts.

Do the eBay KYB GR-2 kits come with the mounts? If not where do I buy these? Is there anything else they will need for the install or something else I should replace while I'm there as well?

Thanks again.

This is what I plan to buy so far:
KYB 4 GR-2 SHOCKS MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE TALON 2WD 95 to 99 | eBay

It would save you 360.00 to change them yourself. How handy are you I would say that if you have any mechanic skill at all it shouldn't be that hard and could probably be done in four hours. You can rent the spring compressor tool from autozone. As I recall there is a 50 deposit on it. As for the bushing I had autozone order them for me.

Its really easy to do yourself, auto-zone actually just let me borrow the spring compressor for free. I wouldn't pay that much for them to do it. Just my opinion.

Ya now that I think about it, you should change them out yourself.Just rent the spring compressor..Like stated before it will save you over 300 bucks..But then your still going to have to get the alignment done afterward..

Honestly with eclipses the suspension is sooooo easy to do. I just did coilovers on 2 GTI's and boy can I tell you what a pain it is with those, even if you dont have a basic knowledge of cars its pretty simple to figure out the mechanics of what needs to go where. Also where are you going to get your strut mounts from? I am having the same problem but haven't been able to find it from one of our bigger vendors, Rather support the ones supporting us than a random site.

Honestly with eclipses the suspension is sooooo easy to do. I just did coilovers on 2 GTI's and boy can I tell you what a pain it is with those, even if you dont have a basic knowledge of cars its pretty simple to figure out the mechanics of what needs to go where. Also where are you going to get your strut mounts from? I am having the same problem but haven't been able to find it from one of our bigger vendors, Rather support the ones supporting us than a random site.

IDK where to find them even.

I think Autozone has them for 14 bucks so I think I'm going to go that route.

Do I need to replace the bump stops at 15 each or the bushings at 10 each?

So I know this post may be old but maybe I could get a response. My talon is now doing the same thing and its extremely embarrassing! anyhow my replace just the struts did it fix it for you? I was more in the line of thinking it would have been my coils for my struts.
But then once people started saying it could be the strut mounts which one is it? I honestly don't want to replace all this considering it will get up in the $300 price range so if its just the strut mount could someone please tell me if it was for them?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back