Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2010, 06:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 229
Photos: 10
Classifieds Rating: 2

remove crankshaft pulley

So I need to pull my crank pulley to change the oil seal. I tried once but could not get the nut to come loose. Is it reverse or standard thread?

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 68
Photos: 9
Classifieds Rating: 1
I believe it's standard. Impact wrench will have it off in seconds.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:15 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 1,761
Photos: 18
Classifieds Rating: 0
Impact would work yes! But for those us unfortunate enough to have the luxery of air tools I just use a 1/2 inch breaker bar! Just put the breaker bar in so the handle is hanging down, and I sit in front of the car and kick the bar! Should work with a kick or 2!

Old 11-20-2010, 07:27 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 357
Photos: 3
its standard thread +1 on impact
View photos of this member's car 

Old 11-20-2010, 07:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 355
Put a breaker bar on it, wedge it against the body and hit the key!

Old 11-20-2010, 08:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

I don't have an impact wrench and when I hook up my breaker bar to it but it just spins the crank.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 80
Photos: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to thetech0922
Well u could give it the Ole heave ho!!! Try put your breaker bar on it and giving it a sharp, hard blows with a hammer...the force and the vibration may knock it loose too

Old 11-20-2010, 10:07 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Timeslip: 15.166 @ 98.270
Tech Posts: 3,252
Send a message via AIM to 19Eclipse90 Send a message via Yahoo to 19Eclipse90
You can build this nifty tool that will keep the engine from rotating as you safely break the bolt loose: Crankshaft sprocket tool

As mentioned above, many people use what is called the "bump" method to loosen the crankshaft bolt. To do this, you must either have the timing belt still on the car or have removed the camshafts (or the whole head, if you are in that position) so the valves are not open. The engine will rotate clockwise when the starter is engaged. To be safe, pull the MPI (Engine) 30A Fuse under the hood to keep the engine from starting. Place the appropriate socket and breaker bar on the crankshaft bolt where the breaker bar is resting on the control arm or wedge it against the ground. Put the key in the ignition and "bump" the starter.

I don't care for that method, so I make certain I have another person available. Put the car in 5th gear and have the other person hold the brakes hard. Use a 1/2" breaker bar with appropriate socket and cheater bar if available and give that bolt hell. This, unlike the bump method, works to tighten and torque the bolt.

Still others use pneumatic tools for quickest removal: Removing the bolt that holds the crankshaft sprocket

Old 11-20-2010, 10:28 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Yea i tried the 5th gear and someone on the brakes.. Ive done that one before with other cars, but even in gear the crank still turns. But your link has helped me out a bit and will let you all know how things go.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:56 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,288
Send a message via AIM to gusu Send a message via MSN to gusu
When we changed my timing belt i had a he'll of a time getting it off. We maxed out his 100 galon air compressor and all the other stuff his dad had from his old shop. We ended up having to have him take a pulley chain and his 2 foot breaker bar but that wasn't enough so we got a 3 foot fence post to put on the breaker bar. With us pushing and his dad jumping on it, for about 2 minutes it finally broke loose. It made the most ungodly sound and I thought we had snapped the crank .

Old 11-21-2010, 06:25 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 3,447
Photos: 41
Classifieds Rating: 5
Um, if you just want to take off the pulley there only are 4, 12 mm bolts holding it on. The large bolt in the center does NOT hold the harmonic dampener (crankshaft pulley). It holds the crankshaft sprocket to the actual crankshaft.

However, if you just want to take it off, I use lots of PB Blaster, a chain wrench around the pulley, and a 1/2" drive breaker bar in the center of the bolt. Has always worked for me. BUT like I said, you do NOT need to remove this bolt to remove the pulley.

Hope this helps!

Visit 9!'clipseDOHC's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 11-21-2010, 06:31 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 2,433
Photos: 12
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 22
Reputation: XiKeiyaZI is extremely helpful and trustworthyXiKeiyaZI is extremely helpful and trustworthyXiKeiyaZI is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to XiKeiyaZI
Haha. Yes...please clarify. Are you JUST removing the Pulley, or are you trying to remove the entire assembly from the end of the crank?

The Large center bolt holds the Timing Belt Teeth Pulley to the crank. The 4 10MM bolts (I thought they were 12MM?) hold the Water Pump/AC Belt pulley to the crank. When you take those 4 bolts off the pulley will just slide right off.

Your best bet is to rent or borrow an impact gun for that large center bolt. That's about the only way you're going to easily get it off without getting a headache.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:35 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiKeiyaZI View Post
The Large center bolt holds the Timing Belt Teeth Pulley to the crank. The 4 10MM bolts (I thought they were 12MM?) hold the Water Pump/AC Belt pulley to the crank. When you take those 4 bolts off the pulley will just slide right off.
I just went and checked and you are correct, the 4 bolts which attach the harmonic dampener (crankshaft pulley) to the crankshaft sprocket are 12 mm. My post has been corrected.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:37 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 2,433
Photos: 12
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 22
Reputation: XiKeiyaZI is extremely helpful and trustworthyXiKeiyaZI is extremely helpful and trustworthyXiKeiyaZI is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to XiKeiyaZI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9!'clipseDOHC View Post
I just went and checked and you are correct, the 4 bolts which attach the harmonic dampener (crankshaft pulley) to the crankshaft sprocket are 12 mm. My post has been corrected.
No sweat. I was about to go check myself on that too. I recall most of the bolts related to the engine and I just couldn't wrap my head around they idea that those 4 were 10MM.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:36 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Timeslip: 15.166 @ 98.270
Tech Posts: 3,252
Send a message via AIM to 19Eclipse90 Send a message via Yahoo to 19Eclipse90
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9!'clipseDOHC View Post
Um, if you just want to take off the pulley there only are 4, 12 mm bolts holding it on. The large bolt in the center does NOT hold the harmonic dampener (crankshaft pulley). It holds the crankshaft sprocket to the actual crankshaft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiKeiyaZI View Post
Haha. Yes...please clarify. Are you JUST removing the Pulley, or are you trying to remove the entire assembly from the end of the crank?
Can't very well change an/"the" oil seal by only removing the crank pulley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM_IKE View Post
So I need to pull my crank pulley to change the oil seal. I tried once but could not get the nut to come loose. Is it reverse or standard thread?

Old 11-21-2010, 10:08 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Eclipse90 View Post
Can't very well change an/"the" oil seal by only removing the crank pulley.
Very true, I missed that part.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:15 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 43
What i have done before is put a 12mm wrench on one of the 4 pulley bolts, along with a bar over it for leverage (to keep the motor from spinning) then put a 1/2" breaker bar(the bigger the better, as long as you have room to move it) on the middle bolt and loosen it that way.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:16 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Ha ha, yes I do know that the pulley itself is only on by 4 12s. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 1,761
Photos: 18
I had one sprocket that was pretty siezed one time and I was trying to break it loose with just the block (outside of the car) I had to put a bar between the crank and the girdle so the crankshaft wouldnt move, then after about a day or so of soaking the bolt with liquid wrench I took the 1/2 inch breaker bar with a 3 foot pipe and a few minutes of me standing on the end of the pipe with a little bouncing before the bolt came loose.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:57 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 38
I used a chain strap wrench to hold the pulley while i had a breaker bar cranking on it. Pb blaster is a good thing to.