The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Any official GSX auto to manual tranny guide?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andakanda

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 11, 2009
Bergen, Europe
Hi guys

I know there are several posts regarding this subject but people always write different stuff about what you need and there seems to be some disagreament

I have a 1997 GSX auto , want to build into manual tranny.

There's an 98 GSX for sale in Norway for 10 000$ that has manual-tranny ( and therefore everything else i need )

what is there to disagree about?

Manual parts needed
Trans
Transfercase
Rear End
front axles
rear axles (depending if its lsd or not)
clutch pedal
clutch master cyl
clutch line
flywheel
clutch setup to your liking
shifter and cables
reverse light harness
(maybe missing some but thats off the top of my head, doing the same but picking them up one at a time)

But you say there is an 98 GSX for sale, why dont you trade yours in or sale and just buy the manual? unless its blown, then yeah, buy the shell and swap everything over, its pritty much a simple swap over (when you have both shells sitting in front of you) and the parts list is here nothings changed in the last 15 years.

cant trade for the 98 GSX because it's 99% impossible to register GSX'es in norway, the guy who imported it didnt know this before he imported it, to bad for him.

so have to use it for parts only

Heard people disagree about the ECU from auto to manual...? That it cant be used , maybe my memory fails me

Cant register supras, skylines or eclipse GSX's in norway withouth knowing somebody or if you can prove that the car is 100% as it were when it left the factory some 10-15 years ago ( wich is impossible in most cases )

2g ecus are the same. 95/96's and 97-99s. no matter if its auto or not.

That sucks, why won't they allow GSX's

it has 2 reasons according to the Norwegian government

1 ; the co2 releases from the car are WAY to high to be permitted by norwegian law ( dont ask why some cars fall under that category when they allow other cars with much higher co2-releases to be registered )

2 : The norwegian government does not want to let any car from the japanese market into the norwegian one. I dont know exactly why but i assume it has to do with prices etc, if its cheaper in Japan it could ruin the car industry or something...i have no idea.

They allow 4 of each car to be registered, 4 skylines, 4 supras, 4 GSX's , registered on a rule roughly translated as the "exeption and collectors-item rule"

Basicly it means that they take in 4 cars marked as collectors items ( so obviously if you get the chance you take a GSX or Skyline V-SPEC , best you can get )
Other criteria is that the car has to be 100% original, just as it left the factory.

So my car is one of 4 GSX's in norway, there are several other but they are not registered.

Thnx for the answer Grims

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back