Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2009, 05:51 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 65
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 0

Why is one spark plug black

I was checking my spark plugs the other day and I noticed that the 3rd one( from left to right) was kind of black, and the other three looked good. I have a dynatek coil on plug set. I was wondering what's going on. I've also been haveing a problem with the car sputtering. Could the third coil be going bad or what?? Ive really only had the one the car about 8-9 months. Any help would be great. Thanks

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:37 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 178
Post a pic if you can. It could mean different things. Could be carbon from that cylinder running too rich, or it could be oil from leaking valve seals. A pic would help greatly. Either way, whatever is causing this is likely causing your sputtering problem

Old 12-18-2009, 07:21 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Car: 1995 Grand Cherokee, 2002 Camaro
Tech Posts: 3,975
Photos: 12
Classifieds Rating: 3
Since your car is sputtering, I would suggest checking compression on that cylinder, ohm out the injector and check the coil packs resistance as well. Injectors should be between 2-3ohms. If you let me know what kind of coils you are have I can get you the specs on them as well. Definitely sounds like that cylinder is misfiring for whatever reason.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:39 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickerbeast View Post
Post a pic if you can. It could mean different things. Could be carbon from that cylinder running too rich, or it could be oil from leaking valve seals. A pic would help greatly. Either way, whatever is causing this is likely causing your sputtering problem
I'll try and post one this afternoon, I don't think it's running rich though because the plug didn't smell like gas.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:49 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

doesn't have to smell like gas. If it is just a little rich it will get carbon build up. If it was rich enought to smell like gas, then it would like be completely fouled and wouldn't fire at all. Then you would have a constant miss.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:54 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,335
Photos: 10
Classifieds Rating: 11
Reputation: crimsondragon is extremely helpful and trustworthycrimsondragon is extremely helpful and trustworthycrimsondragon is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Was that plug properly gapped?

Kanade: 06 Ninja250

Old 12-18-2009, 09:08 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Non-Supporting Vendor

Slowboy Racing 

Tech Posts: 1,081
Photos: 9
Classifieds Rating: 24
Send a message via AIM to SBR Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95blackGsTurbo View Post
Since your car is sputtering, I would suggest checking compression on that cylinder, ohm out the injector and check the coil packs resistance as well. Injectors should be between 2-3ohms. If you let me know what kind of coils you are have I can get you the specs on them as well. Definitely sounds like that cylinder is misfiring for whatever reason.
X2. i had a headgasket pushing an ever so slight amount of water into one cylinder and the plug was black as night. Dry as a bone, just enough to blow the spark out. Could also be a sticky injector, but start with a compression test. If that cyl is lower than the other ones, you know where the problems lying then.
Visit SBR Joe's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 12-18-2009, 10:51 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsondragon View Post
Was that plug properly gapped?
Yea because that's the reason I took it out in the first place. I made sure they were all tapped at .028. If I were to change the spark plug out would it run better for a little while?

Old 12-18-2009, 11:03 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Depends on what exactly is causing the issue with the plug.