Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 08:07 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 367
Photos: 6
Classifieds Rating: 17
Reputation: steve-o_95_GST is pretty helpful and trustworthysteve-o_95_GST is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to steve-o_95_GST Send a message via MSN to steve-o_95_GST Send a message via Yahoo to steve-o_95_GST

Hyundai 4G63 head

Does anyone know anything about the hyundai 4G63 head?

I told a friend of mine that I was looking for a 2g head and he told me that he had a head from a '96 Hyundai that looks pretty similar to the 2g 46g3 head by comparing the intake ports. Im wondering if the head made by Hyundai is a copy of the mitsu head or slightly different. If they are different, can anyone tell me the differences between the two?

-Steve

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:45 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,147
Classifieds Rating: 16
Send a message via AIM to Dsmj89
What year hyundai did it come off of ?
Regardless those motors were made only for about a time frame of 2-3 years on those cars, almost right along till they stopped production of the 1g, the intake manifold ports on the head resemble those of a 1g not 2g. I went a few months back to a junkyard and inspected one pretty well and saw they were the same all around.
It should drop right in on a 1g with no problem.
They pretty much used a mitsu block and they only slapped on the hyundai name on top of it, that's it.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:53 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,301
Photos: 2
Classifieds Rating: 4
Send a message via AIM to rush2252 Send a message via Yahoo to rush2252
+1 Its still a 4g63 im pretty sure the only difference is the HYUNDAI name on the valve covers.

Kolby

Old 05-08-2009, 08:53 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 143
Classifieds Rating: 0
all a hundai is is a 4g63 with a different valve cover because my budy has 1 in his shop that he is building mildly and there is no diifernce now by the head i dont know if it is similar to a 2g or a 1g

Old 05-08-2009, 09:42 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Reputation: steve-o_95_GST is pretty helpful and trustworthysteve-o_95_GST is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to steve-o_95_GST Send a message via MSN to steve-o_95_GST Send a message via Yahoo to steve-o_95_GST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmj89 View Post
What year hyundai did it come off of ?
Regardless those motors were made only for about a time frame of 2-3 years on those cars, almost right along till they stopped production of the 1g, the intake manifold ports on the head resemble those of a 1g not 2g. I went a few months back to a junkyard and inspected one pretty well and saw they were the same all around.
It should drop right in on a 1g with no problem.
They pretty much used a mitsu block and they only slapped on the hyundai name on top of it, that's it.

I believe he said it was of a 96. I thought they were in the car longer than that. I did a quick google search and I found they were in the sonata from 92-98 I dont know if they bought the tooling from mitsu from the start or just got parts from them as they were made but if it were the later, then maybe there could be a possibility of Hyundai using the 2g head as well. I dont know if this would be true or not but would be nice if it possibly could be the 2g head. I havent looked at it yet to tell or not for myself, and wont get the chance to until next week sometime.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,301
Photos: 2
Send a message via AIM to rush2252 Send a message via Yahoo to rush2252
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-o_95_GST View Post
I believe he said it was of a 96. I thought they were in the car longer than that. I did a quick google search and I found they were in the sonata from 92-98 I dont know if they bought the tooling from mitsu from the start or just got parts from them as they were made but if it were the later, then maybe there could be a possibility of Hyundai using the 2g head as well. I dont know if this would be true or not but would be nice if it possibly could be the 2g head. I havent looked at it yet to tell or not for myself, and wont get the chance to until next week sometime.
Werent the sonatas NT though?

Old 05-08-2009, 09:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

They were. I didnt really think of that until you mentioned it, but they did have non turbo 4G63 in the 2g eclipse sold in europe. Its a long shot but Im just kind of hoping its what Im looking for because its free

Old 05-09-2009, 09:07 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 240
this wouldnt be suprising becasue the new hyundai genesis uses the same 4B11T motor out of the new evos. one of the reasons it is a pretty sweet car. but what year and model hyundais are you guys talking about having the mitsu 4g63 in them? i am very interested in this article.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:31 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 1969 ## phukn mom
Tech Posts: 85
Classifieds Rating: 1
the heads are indentical except the camshafts

i planning on using swaping my 4g63 head for a 4g67 n/t head. the 4g67 head has big intake ports like a 1g head but i has a smller combustion chamber; 4g63 : 47cc and the 4g67 : 43cc. with this 4g67 head and evo 8/9 piston my compression should be around 9.1 or 9.0 c/r.

for more info go to
Project Zero G Forums ~ View topic - 4G61 head info

Old 05-09-2009, 09:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
All the US 4g61's had the small intake port, 43cc combustion chamber head. The small intake ports on these heads are dimensionally identical to that of the second generation Eclipses (95-99).

Since he thinks it looks like a 2g head it maybe be one of these. I will check it over and see what really is sometime this coming week. Just to be sure Ill probably cc the head to verify. Thanks for the link

Old 05-10-2009, 07:08 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 177
Photos: 5
We went 9.90 with a head off a G4CS 1997 Sonata.......It has the small ports like a 2G. We had to hog it out a little for the 1G head studs to clear......but not much else is different.

Visit toyotaturbo's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-11-2009, 12:38 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 542
Send a message via AIM to MidShipCivic
I have a 1997 Sonata engine and the code is G4CP it has 1g style intake ports, 6 bolt crank PCD, and the off key thing about it is that it has 1g characteristics but 2g angle sensor specifically 95-96 2g sensors.

D27A.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:04 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,957
Classifieds Rating: 19
Reputation: donniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening todonniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening todonniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening todonniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
You have discovered the secret of the karking 6-bolt swap. 6-bolt bottom end, 2g crank sensor.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by donniekak View Post
You have discovered the secret of the karking 6-bolt swap. 6-bolt bottom end, 2g crank sensor.
That's what I was thinking.

Nothing more than using a front cover from a hyundia??
Visit gorf's homepage! 

Old 05-11-2009, 01:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorf View Post
That's what I was thinking.

Nothing more than using a front cover from a hyundia??
No, the oil pan is curved around the cover and the side tin cover takes a different shape.

D27A.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:14 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Reputation: donniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening todonniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening todonniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening todonniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Hyundia block, front cover, and oil pan modified for a drain. You replace the pistons with turbo pistons. Bam, 6 bolt turbo, with 2g sensors. The mounting bolts for the front cover and oil filter housing are different than a dsm, so they must all be used together. I thought that a 6-bolt hyundai was a common swap into a 2g.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:31 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniekak View Post
Hyundia block, front cover, and oil pan modified for a drain. You replace the pistons with turbo pistons. Bam, 6 bolt turbo, with 2g sensors. The mounting bolts for the front cover and oil filter housing are different than a dsm, so they must all be used together. I thought that a 6-bolt hyundai was a common swap into a 2g.
It's not because this engine was only in the Sonata for 2 years with this setup 96-97, I saw it in the junkyard untouched and I noticed that it had a plug going behind the timing belt cover. I don't see that much in fact, when I first got it back home and searched I don't see much info on it at all.

D27A.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 170
steve-o_95_GST a coupla things about the Sonata head for your friend.
1 - To fit a 2G inlet gasket, I trimed the top of the gasket port 1/16"
2 - I verticaly ellongated the bolt holes 1/8" higher so it can drop 1/8"
This makes an Evo 1-2-3 inlet gasket line up with the ports.
The floor of the Sonata inlet port is 1/8" lower than our Mitsu 2Gs.
** DON'T use the Sonata cam bearings caps with your Mitsu Cams **
** They are slightly smaller in Diameter and will strangle Mitsu Cams **
** I found out the Hard way. BOTH my Evo cams dowl pins sheared off **
** You can guess where my valves ended up after that
Other than that, Yeah a Sonata small inlet port head is a cheap 2G head.
Cheers !

Last edited by AWD_Hybrid; 05-11-2009 at 05:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 05-11-2009, 05:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 7
sooo...hyundai bought 4g63's for ther cars???

Old 05-11-2009, 06:32 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm'sROCK View Post
sooo...hyundai bought 4g63's for ther cars???
They used 6g's to.