The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

sleeper 16g or 20g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan2288

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 9, 2006
Shillington, Pennsylvania
I dont know what turbo will be better for me. Right now I have a big 16g and was planning on just putting a 20g comp wheel on it and making it a sleeper 16g. It would ###### cost about $200 with everything. Or should I just step up to a tdo6 20g? I plan on running 23-25 psi on the street. Is the sleeper 16g more efficent in that range? Will there be a big difference in power?

IMO the sleeper 16g is a waste for any use except racing in a class that requires a stock appearing turbo. What you end up with is a turbo that flows not much more than a 16g and spools not much faster than a 20g. If you are going that route then just get a 20g or a Holset might be a good option.

IMO the sleeper 16g is a waste for any use except racing in a class that requires a stock appearing turbo. What you end up with is a turbo that flows not much more than a 16g and spools not much faster than a 20g. If you are going that route then just get a 20g or a Holset might be a good option.

I agree,couldn't say it better my self:cool:

Hey MORK^^^, not trying to crash a thread, iv seen you drining around here in wausau.. Im in Schofield just wondering who you are??LOL..Gots to meet up sometime..

To the OP, if your lookin for something in that range then I would go holsett?? They spool hella fast and give great punch. What are you planning on doing with your car? Just street use??

The most popular type of 20G bought for our cars has a TD05H turbine. Roughly 80-85% of 20G's on DSM's have a TD05H turbine.

By installing a 20G wheel on your 16G, you'll essentially create the same turbo as a 20G you'd pay $900 for new, but it would have the smaller TD05H "sleeper" style cover. I'm not sure if this would prevent the 20G wheel to flowing at it's potential, but you'd at least have more airflow than a 16G could make with roughly the same spool speed.

As far as a TD05H-turbined 20G being a waste, you should really consider what I said about the amount of full-size 20G's for our cars that actually use a TD05H turbine. It's without a doubt my favorite street turbo for a street-driven DSM running under 25psi. You get the MHI turbo reliability, direct bolt-on capability using existing hardware (no oil line hardware adapting), quick-spool, and a surge of power that hits so hard around 3800 rpms that you'll think you were just rear-ended by a Mack.

hmm, Its a hard decision LOL. Its just that converting my turbo would be alot cheeper. And I plan on getting some 272s so the sleeper 16g still should pull good to reldine, right?

My 16g pulls best in 3rd gear all the way to redline at 20psi without cams...

the sleeper 20g did not use td05h turbine wheel. it was made with td06h turbine. the 20g wheel is not huge improvement over e16 wheel at just 2lb more flow. the pull up top is very noticeable difference. the spool up loss is also very noticeable. possible best way to run a 20g from my experience is using td06h inside 6cm hotside. the 6cm just transforms the spool up of that big wheel. really hot setup. if you ran 20g with tdo6h/6cm against e16 tdo5h/7cm you would never want to run another 16g. hits hard and fast and doesnt lay down. better for straight pump gas too with less backpressure

the sleeper 20g did not use td05h turbine wheel. it was made with td06h turbine.
Looked at Slowboy's listing for the turbo we're discussing lately?

"This turbo uses a 20g comp wheel stuffed inside a 16g compressor cover. It is a direct bolt on for all 5 speed 1g cars and is an easy install on any 2g with our install kit. No one has to know your little secret with the SBR Bastard 20g.

We offer your choice of exhaust wheel with this turbo. Standard is the TD05H turbine, upgrade to the TDO6H for $100."

....just like any other 20G you'd buy, the TD06H turbine is an upgrade....its not standard.

As far as your TD06H in a 6cm2 housing theory is concerned, I'd like a better description of how this setup really makes power by adding airflow potential. To me a smaller nozzle area with a bigger turbine wheel seems like a very bad idea.

sorry I should have frazed the turbo sleeper 16g. originally designed and sold by Forced Performance. they never have disclosed what wheels were in the turbo. but there were threads years back on it being a 20g with 6h turbine. this was before slowby was even in business. slowboy can market the turbo however they want, thats why they call it bastard 16g.

putting the 6h wheel in 6cm is not a restriction. remember curt brown made about 575 whp on a old red turbo with 6h/7cm. I would find it hard to believe that a 6cm would choke it all they way to 475whp. the 6h wheel is huge. in 8cm it will support 600whp

I talked to turbo builder about seven years ago that made a 6h/20g inside a 5cm housing. he made 425whp at 25psi on straight 93 octane with it. said it spooled fast as stink. Yes you read right. there were a handful (5) inconel 5cm housing custom made for the early evo rally teams. he had two of them. it was him who originally suggested the 6cm housing for the 6h wheel.

the 7cm 6h is too laggy for 20g. this is just what I have found from running it both ways on cars I have built. I even ran 6h 20g 6cm on a 2.3 liter. One of the most fun setups I have driven to date.

Sorry to bring back a old thread but i'm on this boat. I am looking to get a bastard 20g later down the road and was wondering a few questions :

1 - Is porting still required to eliminate boost creep ? I ask as i would like to keep it sleeper and not have to go external wastegate.
2 - Should i get the td05 or td06 turbine wheel and why ?

Thanks.

1 - Is porting still required to eliminate boost creep ? I ask as i would like to keep it sleeper and not have to go external wastegate.
Most 05H 20G's that I've seen do not use the Evo III turbine housing, and if you're using an 06 or 06H turbine you cannot use the Evo III turbine housing so boost creep is unlikely an issue.

The Evo III turbine housing is the boost creep problem because of how well it flows in conjunction with a 3" exhaust system.

2 - Should i get the td05 or td06 turbine wheel and why ?
The TD05H allows the 20G to spool like a 16G but will max out at around 42 lb/min of flow, which is just short of the 20G's potential.

The TD06/06H has airflow potential well beyond what the 20G compressor can generate, but some feel it is too laggy for use in the 20G. If you're strictly drag racing where lag doesn't matter or if you have a FWD where lag is appreciated, the 06/06H may be what you want....but in a daily driver, it just won't "hit" with a torque curve that a TD05H turbine would provide.

I think the sleeper 20g is not a good choice. Ive heard of people having lots of surging issues when you start to run some good boost. The turbine simply outflows the 16g housing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back