The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

CAS problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Madman_

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 14, 2004
Riga, Europe
I have a problem with a CAS that I would like to solve, but I can't find any information.

At first I thought it was some sort of ECU fault, then I thought about mechanical problem, but after extensive testing I've narrowed it down to CAS.

The problem is that I have a 99 ECU in a 96 car and after all the research of CAS inversion and everything I still can't get it to work normally.

The problem is:
97/98/99 has CAS inverted by 180 deg. vs 95/96 cars
And there are two sensors in 2g cars, "Cam angle sensor" and "Crank angle sensor".

When I switch the ECU to 99 and swap plug wires as said here ( swapplugwires [ECMTuning - wiki] ), the car starts, but it's terribly rough @ 2500 RPMs and knocks like crazy.

I also tried to swap injector wires around in like 10 ways, but I could not just get it right, the car is always running rough and knocks more or less with the new ECU.

All threads seem to say that all you need to do is to swap plug wires, but that's definitely not the right way to do, because fuel is delivered hell knows when and 1/8 mile times are down by at least 0.3 secs.

I also tried the injector wire swap as shown here ( RRE Instructions ), but the car was still running rough at 2500.

So I don't know where to continue now. I also don't understand why we have to swap plug wires in pairs if only 1 sensor is reversed.

Does anyone know what should be done to get the new ECUs to play nice with old CAS sensors? Any other links I could study?

I've seen this problem discussed countless of times before and every one just kept the knocking solution, which is not good.

i know when i put a eprom in my 97 thats what happened too and i changed the plug positions 1000x and it would do same thing but after i correctly found the firing order it worked even smoother than it did before. Also did you change anything else besides the ecu?

Do you remember how many wires you had to swap? It's a nightmare to find the correct ones... 12 possible ways to swap injectors and 12 ways to swap plug wires.

Or is the plug wire swap order correct as shown in the link above?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back