Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2009, 01:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 308
Classifieds Rating: 2
2G-specific

Well my car idles kinda crappy and I was thinking that I had a boost leak. I checked my vacuum hoses first and found a hose coming from the intake manifold that wasn't connecting to anything. The open end of the hose had a clamp still on it so I know it goes somewhere. I don't really have a clue to where the hose connects to. At least not yet. I'm planning on removing the battery so I can get a better look behind the engine bay this weekend.

Anyway, I downloaded the service manual off of scribd.com and found a vacuum hose diagram. What does the A, E, and P stand for in the circle?

Here are pics of the vacuum hose that is disconnected and have no clue to where it goes to. After looking at the diagram, it seems to me that it goes to the by-pass valve. What does the by-pass valve do and more importantly, where is it located?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vacuum Hose Routing 1.jpg
Views:	1355
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	93214  

Name:	P3280464.jpg
Views:	1005
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	93284  

Name:	P3280465.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	93285  

Last edited by Defiant; 03-29-2009 at 12:54 AM.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:57 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 245
The bypass valve A.K.A BOV, Blow off valve. It should be right in front of your fuse box under the hood.

Last edited by 95GSXCO; 03-27-2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: more info

Old 03-27-2009, 11:20 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,658
Photos: 4
Classifieds Rating: 1
Check on the free mods in the upgrade path, it will show you how to delete all those worthless vacuum lines and more.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 03-28-2009, 12:37 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

I read about the vacuum hose delete technical article, but I thought you needed an AVCR.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:23 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 60
Classifieds Rating: 0
Nope, you might run the risk of throwing a cel...plus passing emissions might become more difficult.

These links might help...

Removing vaccum lines

vaccum lines eliminated

Also, the taboo sites no longer work...but this link has the pictures they are referring to.

Taboo speed shop vacuum diagram and removal for 1g and 2g.

Last edited by Defiant; 03-29-2009 at 12:54 AM.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:28 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

ok so now I know for SURE that the hose is supposed to connect to the BOV. I plugged the hose up and now the car idles a little better. I know that the vacuum hose is used as a reference point for the BOV but can plugging up the hose and not connecting it back to the BOV cause damage to the engine? I'd connect it back but the nipple from the BOV is broken off and stuck in vacuum hose.

Last edited by kimcheefists; 03-29-2009 at 03:28 AM.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:44 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 173
Photos: 11
Classified Ads: 3
Classifieds Rating: 27
Send a message via AIM to spitefire1

bov hose

my friends bov nipple broke off so he have to get plastic jb weld and stick it on there and let it sit. or you can buy another stock bov. but you need the bov hose connected.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 03-29-2009, 05:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

What bad could come of the engine if the vacuum reference hose isn't connected to the BOV but the hose is plugged up?

Old 04-08-2010, 09:34 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 39
Classifieds Rating: 1
if your bov isn't connected your bov will not stay closed under boost.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:07 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Not only that, it'll be harder for the BOV to open when the throttle is shut closed. Yea I kinda figured it out a while ago. This is a pretty old thread..