The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

[RESOLVED] Should I buy this turbo? a/r .50 T04E

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mutant_spider

Probationary Member
Sep 28, 2005
WestChester, Pennsylvania
I saw a listing for a turbo for sale near me.
I'm trying to amass all the components I need for my 420a turbo conversion but don't know too much about all the specifics just yet.

Do you think I should get this turbo? Here is what the guy has said about the turbo so far:

A/R .50 Type: T04E Part No: T3/T4 It has M12 stamped in the housing and the exhaust side is A/R .63 also has written in marker on the impeller 967M.

He's asking $300.

Thanks guys.

Here are two pictures of the turbo the guy sent me. I'm just wondering if it is a knock off or not really.

My motor is pretty stock at the moment. I don't want to replace rods, at least right away.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

He states that he thinks it is a Turbonetics.

Attachments

• Turbo 1.jpg
    Turbo 1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 5,750
  • Turbo 2.jpg
    Turbo 2.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 3,793
That's an ebay knockoff. I say avoid it. I had a buddy had one on his civic and and took a crap on him 500 miles later. You can get one of those exact turbos from ebay for I think $150 shipped.

Anything that says "TURBOCHARGER" on the tag of a turbocharger generally indicates that it's a knock off. Most companies already assume the consumer knows it's a turbocharger and therefore doesn't label it "TURBOCHARGER" on the label. Normally just a part number. Even if it was a turbonetics turbo I still wouldn't buy it.

Don't buy it... It won't last long.

That is defenetly a knock off garrett turbocharger. I wouldn't buy it either. For $600.00 you can get a real garrett or turbonetics with a 1 year warranty. It is defenetly not worth risking it.

Thanks a lot guys. With the first response I had enough doubt not to jump on it, now there's no chance in hell I'd get it.

Looks like someone is try to pull a fast one. Defently a knock off turbo & last time I checked you could buy it brand new for alot less then his $300 asking price. Even if he wanted $100 for it, I still wouldn't touch it. I'd rather pay abit more on something I know will last.

That looks identical to a turbo this guy around town had on his car. Made the car pretty fast for about 2 months. IF your just gathering parts to get a kit together you could get a used garrett from the classifieds and upgrade once you work all the bugs out.

Everyone above is correct... 100% Ebay Turbo. Easiest way to spot these are the "turbocharger" stamping. LOL Brand: turbocharger

Avoid at all cost. you can have a MHI 16g for around that same cost, if you find a good deal..:thumb:

Perhaps you guys can help me decide on what to look for then.

I tried searching for information on max boost on a stock 420a 2g block. I could upgrade rods but don't plan on it just yet, until I know a lot more about turbo concepts and whatnot. I pretty much want to delve into it and get hands on experience with it.

With a stock 420a what would be the max psi I'm looking at and could anyone recommend a turbo for the application? I don't want to buy the best at the moment cause I'd like to go bigger eventually but I need to walk before I can run.

Thanks again.

you cant put a 50 trim on a stock 420a, slowboy racing sells a 420a turbo kit buy that instead

Is it the flange or the shear size/dimensions of the 50 trim that restrict me from putting it on the 420a. I plan on putting a turbo 420a exhaust manifold on the car... if that makes a difference.

Also, I'd rather not get a kit. From the concensus on the forums it seems it's more advantageous (cost and performance) to piece it all together (i.e. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...uild-420a-stage-2-turbo-kit-under-1000-a.html).

Max boost on stock internals is 8psi. I would piece a kit together but buy a better fuel system than what that articles shows. Yea it will cost more money but the car will run much better and you wont be blowing it up in a few months. FMUs are known to run on the lean side.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back