Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 11:10 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 192
Classifieds Rating: 8
Question

clutch spline grease

Ok, how important is the clutch spline grease, i just did a clutch on my 92 talon AWD, and I never put the clutch spline grease on, do i have to drop the tranny and lube that up, or is it something i can live with out, thanks in advance

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:09 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 554
Classifieds Rating: 3
It can work without it but I have seen a clutch disc stick to a input shaft and cause disengagement problems. If it is working then roll with it, but if the clutch begins to have difficulties disengaging then I would hands down drop the trans and inspect the output shaft and clutch disc then lube it up.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:11 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,406
Classifieds Rating: 2
I always put antiseize on mine.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:52 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 504
Classifieds Rating: 4
1G-specific

Never even heard of doing such a thing, good way to splatter grease all over your clutch.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:58 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMopar View Post
Never even heard of doing such a thing, good way to splatter grease all over your clutch.
Standing procedure for replacing a clutch on a manual transmission. The input shaft of the transmission should be lubricated before installation in the vehicle. Excessive amounts of grease should not be used.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 1990 Dodge Colt
Tech Posts: 780
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to dsmfa9nutter
People that don't grease the shaft will either eventually experience engagement issues or it will be a HUGE pita to remove the pieces the next time it's taken apart.
Visit dsmfa9nutter's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 03-01-2009, 06:37 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 493
What kind of grease do you guys use on that?

Old 03-01-2009, 07:56 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 60
Photos: 12
Most clutch kits come with the lube. If not I use moly lube.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 03-01-2009, 08:05 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 85
Classifieds Rating: 0
I use moly lube with never any issues.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

I bought a big can of automotive grease (few bucks at walmart, this stuff but in a 1lb can)and I use it on all my bushings, wheel bearings, axle splines and the trans shaft.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,066
Photos: 20
Classifieds Rating: 6
They sell little bags of grease at auto zone for like 2-3 bucks.

View photos of this member's car 

Old 03-02-2009, 07:16 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Timeslip: 9.499 @ 148.360
Tech Posts: 2,497
Photos: 95
FYI -- The only parts you should be greasing is the clutch fork (clutch fork pivot ball detent, and the ears that the TOB pivots on), the Input Shaft Retainer Sleeve (surface that the TOB rides on), and the TOB inner bearing surface. You should not put any sort of grease or lubricant on your input shaft. If it is all dirty and crappy beforehand, clean the splines, check for straightness and no damage, and have it CLEAN. Then install your clutch/flywheel assembly using an alignment tool, and install the transmission.

You do NOT use any sort of lubricant on the Input Shaft Splines. This can cause premature wear or spline damage. (This is what I see when I pull transmissions apart regularly).

The Factory Service Manual does recommend using a small amount of multi-purpose grease on the clutch disk splines and to use a brush and work it into the splines, then to remove any excess grease from the hub. If you use it, please, only use a very small amount.

The clutch is not going to sieze to the input shaft unless you are keeping your inspection plate off the car and going through lakes, submerging the clutch assembly in water, or driving in winter through salt and snow with the plate off.

Last edited by twicks69; 03-03-2009 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Edited for correctness.
Visit twicks69's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 03-03-2009, 06:28 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

This really was more work than it is worth... but Mr. Zimmer please read the following:

Page 6-3 in "Lubricants" and 6-21 "Service Points of Installation" #2 of:
http://lilevo.com/mirage/89%20Colt%2...-%20Clutch.pdf

This is out of the manual for '89 Turbo Colts. Page 6-3 lists the lubricant used. #2 of SPOI tells the technician to lubricate the clutch disc splines and input shaft splines. Whether you lube one or the other or both the same thing is achieved: there is grease on the input shaft and clutch disc splines.

Page 6-3 in "Lubricants" and 6-18 "Application of Grease to Clutch Disc/ Clutch Cover Assembly" #1 of:
http://lilevo.com/mirage/90-91%20Tal...F/90-91ECB.PDF

This is the ECB manual for 1g's. Page 6-3 lists the lubricant for the clutch disc splines. The other item tells the technician to brush grease onto the clutch disc splines. Now this is not the input shaft to the transmission but it would be splitting hairs to say that greasing the input shaft is incorrect because if there is grease on the clutch disc splines then it will certainly be on the input shaft.

Unfortunately lilevo's 2g manual is not complete and I cannot provide a link for scanned images of the clutch service procedure for a 2g clutch. I have a '89 Colt. The OP has a '92 Talon. According to the manuals from the factory the input shaft/clutch disc splines are to be greased on mine and the OP's vehicles.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:36 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Well, I appreciate that you did the work, as I usually do this for nearly every post I put up on here to help people. Thank you.

I know Jason Tanin well, as well as his cars since he lives close by me and have been around long enough to remember the original lilevo he put together.

I will read them right now. As for the rest of the service manuals, I have many in .pdf form, so I will check. I did not have the 1989 Colt turbo FSM, so thank you!.

Yes, I can see that these FSM's tell you that, and I went back to my other FSM's concerning DSM's and they ALSO state to use a multi-purpose grease and to put a small amount on the clutch disk splines and to use a brush and work it into the complete portion of the splines. It also recommends to remove any excess grease.

Thank you for correcting me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoLiterLaser View Post
This really was more work than it is worth... but Mr. Zimmer please read the following:

Page 6-3 in "Lubricants" and 6-21 "Service Points of Installation" #2 of:
http://lilevo.com/mirage/89%20Colt%2...-%20Clutch.pdf

This is out of the manual for '89 Turbo Colts. Page 6-3 lists the lubricant used. #2 of SPOI tells the technician to lubricate the clutch disc splines and input shaft splines. Whether you lube one or the other or both the same thing is achieved: there is grease on the input shaft and clutch disc splines.

Page 6-3 in "Lubricants" and 6-18 "Application of Grease to Clutch Disc/ Clutch Cover Assembly" #1 of:
http://lilevo.com/mirage/90-91%20Tal...F/90-91ECB.PDF

This is the ECB manual for 1g's. Page 6-3 lists the lubricant for the clutch disc splines. The other item tells the technician to brush grease onto the clutch disc splines. Now this is not the input shaft to the transmission but it would be splitting hairs to say that greasing the input shaft is incorrect because if there is grease on the clutch disc splines then it will certainly be on the input shaft.

Unfortunately lilevo's 2g manual is not complete and I cannot provide a link for scanned images of the clutch service procedure for a 2g clutch. I have a '89 Colt. The OP has a '92 Talon. According to the manuals from the factory the input shaft/clutch disc splines are to be greased on mine and the OP's vehicles.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:40 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

I will poke one hole in my own work: the 1g ECB manual I listed says on the front cover that it is specifically for '90-'91 and the OP has a '92. Lilevo's '92-'94 manual is also incomplete.

You can take that however you want. The sliding of a clutch disc on an input shaft is going to be the same action no matter the year of the car, there is going to be constant contact and friction between two steel surfaces. Unless I find or am shown somewhere in an FSM that we are to not grease these points of contact I am going to continue greasing them.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:03 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Quote:
I will poke one hole in my own work: the 1g ECB manual I listed says on the front cover that it is specifically for '90-'91 and the OP has a '92. Lilevo's '92-'94 manual is also incomplete.

You can take that however you want. The sliding of a clutch disc on an input shaft is going to be the same action no matter the year of the car, there is going to be constant contact and friction between two steel surfaces. Unless I find or am shown somewhere in an FSM that we are to not grease these points of contact I am going to continue greasing them.
That is fine.

I guess that I have my transmission off the car more regularly than most DSM'ers...

Old 03-03-2009, 07:32 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

lol Yeah. 95% of DSM'ers aren't slamming down 740whp running 9's.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:36 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Quote:
lol Yeah. 95% of DSM'ers aren't slamming down 740whp running 9's.
True...True...

Old 03-05-2009, 02:41 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Greasing your shaft isn't a bad thing.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 102
Just an interesting tidbit I noticed ppl qouting the service manual and I will agree do what the book tells you. However the Quartermaster directions state in bold "DO NOT USE ANTI-SIEZE OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF LUBRICANT ON THE SPLINES OF THE INPUT SHAFT"
This may be specific to Quartermaster twin disc clutches and it may not just sharing the info.