The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Injector plug swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Madman_

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 14, 2004
Riga, Europe
Hi!

The 98/99 ECU finally arrived for my car and I'm pretty much ready for the swap. I did a lot of research and now I know that I will have to do two things in order for ECU to work and work correctly. First one is that I'll have to swap plug wires, and everything there is quite simple. The second is that i will have to swap injector plugs in the same way as spark plugs.

The problem is that it seems those injector wires are too short to swap, so I wonder if I can swap at the other end (somewhere???)

Has anyone done that before?

Have you tried unwrapping the insulation to check if the wires really are too short?

Ok, I did the swap today and things didn't went so smooth... I swapped the inner two spark wires among themselves at coil-pack and outer two wires among themselves the same way.

Then I changed the wires at ECU 1 to 14 and 2 to 15.

The car started up but was idling very roughly. After a while it threw out CEL with following codes:

Updated: 23:55:02
7 Diagnostic Trouble Codes Found:
----------------------------------------------
P0135 Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1.
P0141 Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2.
P1400 Manifold Differential Pressure Sensor circuit.
P0443 EVAP System Purge Control Valve circuit.
P0446 EVAP System Vent Control.
P0403 EGR Solenoid.
P0201 Injector circuit - Cylinder 1.

There was white exhaust coming from the tailpipe so I swaped the wires and ECU back. But the old one started to act the same way, even though CEL was not persistent.

I cannot read the errors from the old ECU as it's some weird EEPROM one, but I guess it's about Injector circuitry.

I will do more investigation tomorrow but I'm worried about the rest of the codes the new ECU threw out.

Ok, I made some pictures of my ECU and after looking up the part number (MD313046) it doesn't even seem to be a DSM ECU OMG

There is a thread about it http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tuning-engine-management/289580-2g-eprom.html, but it doesn't give me any more info. I at least hope that injector pins are still the same way as the old 2G ECUs had. With crank sensor they should be.

Why was it happy with everything when the new ECU picks up so many errors :confused:

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 380
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 401
  • 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 390
From reading around, it looks like it is either a 96 Eprom ECU, or from a European Mitsu car. Not sure though.

But there were no turbo DSM's in Europe, so I doubt it could be NT ECU in a turbo car. NT ECU would be unable to control BCS and control stock boost gauges.

Does anyone know if I will be able to put a DSMLink chip on it?

One more question. Do pre 98 cars have all the emissions related equipment that 98/99 cars have?

Because the new ECU is throwing out 6 emissions related codes all the time:

Updated: 22:44:19
6 Diagnostic Trouble Codes Found:
----------------------------------------------
P0135 Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1.
P0141 Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2.
P1400 Manifold Differential Pressure Sensor circuit.
P0443 EVAP System Purge Control Valve circuit.
P0446 EVAP System Vent Control.
P0403 EGR Solenoid.

I've restarted them like 4 times already and CEL just keeps coming back.

yeah the 95 eproms have all the same emissions info as say a 98-99 car would its all obd2 the 95s had it a year before it was made manditory in 96

So that means I have to check if the O2 heaters are working and what has happened to other sensors, right?

Funny thing is that the old ECU wasn't throwing CEL WTF

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back