Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2008, 03:15 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 48
Classifieds Rating: 0

how can i bypass the air conditioning low refrigerant pressure switch?

On my 1996 GST I have a functional A/C system with a bad pressure switch on the top of the compressor. This was verified by a mechanic as we charged the system and he ran some kind of a bypass blowing ice cold air. My question is, how can I do this myself? I had the system leak tested and filled and I know its full. I just want to bypass the bad switch for now.

Visit fanatic26's homepage! 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:50 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 86
Photos: 2
Classifieds Rating: 2
looking at the schematic, the pressure switch is a dual pressure switch. With only two wires it has to be going to ground, so grounding both wires should bypass.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 06-26-2008, 10:49 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 11,732
Photos: 13
Classified Ads: 4
Classifieds Rating: 216
You can make a simple jumper wire to jump across the two pins on the pigtail.

This technique is normally only used to make the compressor run initially to draw freon into the system when the system has been completely drained. You should NOT drive your car around with the low pressure switch bypassed; the freon carries the oil throughout the system. If you force the compressor to run when there's too little freon in the system, the compressor will not get proper lubrication and fail.

If you suspect the low pressure switch to be bad, REPLACE IT. You do not have to drain most systems to replace the switch.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:26 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 37
Photos: 3

A/C Compressor Kicking On & Off

Found zero other post that helped with this problem. When I turn on the A/C in the car, the compressor clutch kicks in and out, nonstop. Suspected Low R134, charged and still have the problem. Next suspect, Pressure cycling switch, O'reillys computer doesn't show the car to have one. Anyone have an idea?
thanks

Old 06-26-2008, 09:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

I sale snails 

Tech Posts: 1,857
Photos: 5
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 84
Send a message via MSN to pj91gsx
push in the valve on the ac line to see if it has air in it. I have a switch on my ac line. you may have a leak in the ac lines and not know it.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 40
Classifieds Rating: 1
It turns on and off when it is low recharge it to 45psi.
Visit Fastass96's homepage! 

Old 06-27-2008, 01:23 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 25,202
Photos: 8
It isn't the switch. It's the AC control unit. Mitsubishi has stopped supplying them.
Visit Defiant's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 06-27-2008, 06:37 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 86
Photos: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
It isn't the switch. It's the AC control unit. Mitsubishi has stopped supplying them.

Wonderful...............

I think I read another post that described this as a little control box in the passenger kick panel.. Is this correct??

Old 06-27-2008, 09:38 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)

The low-pressure system must be near the 45psi mark for the compressor to run constantly. You also MUST have the "recirc" option chosen over "fresh" on the dash lever.

Recently I was having a similar issue with my father's '98 Caravan. The compressor it uses is identical to a DSM compressor (the van has the Mitsu 3.0 V6). I absolutely could NOT get the compressor to stay running constant with 45psi on the low side. Last week, the compressor took a dump on him.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

I am pretty sure there are no leaks, because when I attempted to recharge it, it was already almost overcharged.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:26 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)

Be advised that the pressure must not exceed 45psi on the low side as well, or the system will also shut down.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:34 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Ok, I can't remember. To check the charge on the A/C system.
I hooked up gauge turned the motor on and the A/C on. Is this the correct combination?

Old 06-29-2008, 11:50 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackdOutGST View Post
Ok, I can't remember. To check the charge on the A/C system.
I hooked up gauge turned the motor on and the A/C on. Is this the correct combination?
Nevermind, I got desperate and released some pressure out of the high side with the motor running and A/C on, the compressor stopped kicking in and out after I released a good amount of r134. Conclusion = Overcharging the system is not hard to do. Still scratching head because it had these symptoms before I overcharged it. Anywho! It work now.

Note* Recovery of r134 was done by EPA certified technician.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 287
Reputation: awdtalontsi1992 is pretty helpful and trustworthyawdtalontsi1992 is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to awdtalontsi1992
I'm also having some problems with my 98 Talon GS's A/C System. The compressor isn't kicking on. I've checked and the refrigerant level is good. I jumped the compressor clutch and it is working ok. I jumped the 2 wires on the dual pressure switch to ground as described in a post above. I even jumped the switch in the dash. The only time the compressor will kick on is if I jump it to 12v then it kicks on and everything works ok but it won't come on by itself.

I read above about a automatic compressor controller. Do these controllers come on the 2.0L Non-turbo Talons? If so, where is it located in the car and is there a way to test it?

Last edited by Defiant; 06-11-2009 at 03:22 PM.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:44 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 134
Maybe on the low side, but you should be measuring on the high side and it needs to be about 2x ambient temp in pressure with the engine at high idle. So if it's 80* out, it should be around 160 psi.

Need a guage like this:

R134 AC MANIFOLD GAUGES HOSES AIR VACUUM PUMP R12/22 :eBay Motors (item 190312925243 end time Jun-13-09 14:48:44 PDT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastass96 View Post
It turns on and off when it is low recharge it to 45psi.