The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Rear sway bar for 2g RS, GS and GST /no GSX/

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okm12346

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
As I am not allowed to post in the articles section, Im gonna post here with the only catch that I dont have an Eclipse, but my car 7G Galant /94-97/ shares the same suspension as you guys have. The original thread is in Thegalantcenter.net, but I decided to share it with you and reveal some new stuff that could be done to the suspension. The donor is an 8G Galant /99 - 03/, but 3G Eclipse parts work as well, because they share the same suspension as 8G Galants. The advantage is that the setup uses tubular control arms, and allows you to upgrade to bigger rear sway bar. But enough with the teasing and have fun reading my tutorial.

OK I see everyone got crazy about RM Racing rear sway bars, so I decided to do a little review of what is available out on the used or OEM parts market. So let me begin:

Available from your dealer, on-line shops, local junkyards:

If you are lucky you'll find a 7G GS 4g64 DOHC, but by the time you come to your sences that you actually have found a DOHC 7g, you'll probably forget what you have come to look for - and in this case it's a rear sway bar for our 7Gs. Doing my research I used mainly two web sites for information about rear sway bars, and thanks to Peano and Dangerdanj I have accomplished what I had in mind.

ttp://www.dangerdanj.com/addco_rsb_install.htm

Sway Bar Installation for 7G Galant

If you take a look you'll see that there are three sizes available for our Gs. These are 12mm out of 7g GS, 15mm out of 95-99 2g Eclipse/Talon/ and 18mm out of 95-99 2g Eclipse GSX AWD. Now I personaly havent seen a 12mm out of GS, but it happens that I own the other two. Also the 15mm sway bar is available out of other cars that share the same suspension as 2g Eclipse and 7g Galant. That would be Crysler Sebring / 1995-2000/ and Dodge Avenger /1995 - 2000/; these cars come with rear sway bar stock depending on the letters / ES or whatever they have/ and it is 15mm. In order to install the sway bar you'll also need the lower control arms and the end links that these cars are equiped with. The 18mm bar that is in the GSX is a really nice piece, but as Peano mentions in his tutorial, there is a problem with exhaust pipe clearance, and more exactly with the loop over the rear cross chamber. I had the same problem with this bar even with my stock piping and when it was time to install the 3'', it was impossible to have them both at the same time. So I started thinking about solution of the problem...................................................................................... and I got it.

Now, this is where people got it wrong. For some reason 8G Galants share the same rear suspension as 7g, so in this flow of ideas the sway bar and lower control arms have to fit as well. So I went to the junkyard on a mission to prove that and this is where my tutorial starts:

I'm leaving the pictures a little bigger so its loud and clear, and I wont be talking about tools and where to start from - there is enough info in the other two tutorials.

So,....

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The three bars top to bottom

1. 2g Eclipse GSX AWD - 18mm, exhaust clearance issue
2. 2g Eclipse/Talon/ GST/TSI/ - 15mm - very good choise
3. 8G Galant - 18mm - the better choise

I got out the "old" control arms and 15mm sway bar.

Installed the 8g lower control arms with end links / end links are not the same as the ones that I pulled out/

The clearance with the 3'' exhaust - It has a good 1/2'' to 3/4''.

18mm 8G sway bar installed on 7G.

I didnt realize untill I saw the picture that I didnt stick the sway bar in between the two lower control arms, but I guess Ill do it over the weekend, ### Im too lazy right now.

Now, why I wrote 7G - 8G in the title!

Well, I swapped parts from 8G to 7g with no problem, so there is no reason why 7G to 8G wont work. So, for all you 8G-ers who are wondering right now, you can do it if you dont have it at all. Some of you do, some dont. The trick is that you cant cross match them like 7g/2g Eclipse or the other cars I mentioned/ control arms with 8G sway bar or 7G sway bar with 8G control arms. It just doesnt work - the 8 sway is a little shorter wide wise.
I can say there is a huge difference in handling between 15mm and 18mm, and it allows me to upgrade to 22mm Addco bar which is pretty sweet, so I'll enjoy my "new" mod and hopefully you will too.

Just for the record the Sebring and the Avengers come with 19mm stock front sway bar which is 1mm more than ours. And I have it installed too, but no pix - sorry

This mod costed me :

8g rear sway bar $10.00
8g lower control arm x 2 = $20.00
end link x 2 = $ 6.50

total : $36.50

so your saying i can take the 8G Galant swaybar which is 18mm and swap it for my 2G GST sway bar? and i wont have any clearence issuse? please get back to me soon. i am swapping my suspention out at the moment for a Tien adj coilovers.

-RayRay

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back