The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

I changed my harmonic dampener just in time *Pics & Video*

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does it seem like its coming from the belts or the valve area?

Check if the rubber inside the main pulley/harmonic balancer has separated or if it's off center and for birds' nests :p

Could be any of the idler pulleys or accessories themselves.

Get those baby chicks out of there. ROFL It sounds like the belt side, when he moved the camera down, it got much louder. Very well could be the dampener.

James :laser::talon:

Yea it's definitely coming from the belts somewhere. When I get the time I'll check it out.

Sometimes when it's cold and theirs moisture it will squeal really loud at startup till I drive it out.

Definitely check the harmonic balancer, as it is most likely your problem.

It would also be wise to take off the accessory belts and test the water pump pulley for play. I say this from experience in weird noises from that area. If this pulley has play then the water pump will have to be replaced.

Yea, I'm going to check this stuff possibly this weekend. See what I find.

For the crank pulley, It's just the 4 bolts right? And is a pulley puller necessary?

You shouldn't need a pulley puller, just lightly tap around the inner edge and it should come right off.

The main center bolt doesn't need to come out, just the four 12mm(maybe 10mm) bolts around it.

Remove the 4 bolts and it should come off no problem.
Just remember that when removing that pulley, do your best not to let the engine rotate counter clockwise because doing so could result in messed up timing, which can result in messed up valves.

Don't mean to thread jack.

I've been having my belts squeal at around 3k rpm and up and very lightly at cold start-up. It doesn't sound like the one in the video, just more a high pitch annoying whine at 3k+ and you can barely hear it at start up unless i tell you to listen for it.

I looked at my H.B. and it looks to be in tact. A while ago my alternator pivot bolt slipped out and I just tightened it until I had tension on the belt and could find a new bolt. I don't know if it just fried the belt or if i ruined the bearings in my alternator.:coy: That would suck.

Well let me know whats you input on the subject.

Here's a video. Let me know what you think.

YouTube - DSM Engine squealing
I am having a similar problem with my 95 TSi AWD:talon: usually only on 1st start up it will squeal like mad and then like something clicks and it stops, kinda sounded like a relay type click but it wasn't a relay, pulled alternator off a couple days ago it checked out fine even under load, never thought to check dampner, does your squeal go away after awhile? or does it continue to squeal when motor is running constantly? I will check my dampner and am betting that is my problem....Great Forum I knew if I looked long enough I would find something here, was ready to do the Saturn big amp alternator swap but had questions on it also. Thanks Guys!!!:thumb:

My car sometimes on cold starts it would squeal real loud then go away as I drove. Now it has that annoying squeal in the video at idle. It's gotta be the harmonic dampener.

Busted harmonic dampener/crank pulley/harmonic balancer wtvr the f its called did some damage on my timing cover. fixed it just in time...

See the hole in the timing cover LOL
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

From the belt

Damaged rubber

Apart

Video before:

YouTube - DSM Engine squealing

After:

Put a new one on and it squeals for a second or two then goes right away. What could this be?

So I put the new pulley on and it squeels still. Anybody know where my problem lies?

Really? Loose belts can cause squealing?

It does it mostly on starts, cold starts usually and sometimes randomly.

Yes, loose belts can cause squealing. It does it more on start-up because that's when all the belts experience the most torque. It's then the belts start the pulleys in motion, and are most likely to squeal. Another likely time for belt squealing to start is when you turn on the A/C, for the same reason.

An old trick to testing belt tightness is to twist the belt after it's tensioned. If it twists 90º it's tightened correctly. Any more or less requires an adjustment. Of course, it's just a technique for the quick check, and not the technique you should necessarily use.

Old, (or cold for that matter) belts can squeal because of less pliability. With your old belt removed, check it by flipping it over so you're looking at the ribs, and bend it. (Backwards). See those little cracks? Time to get a new belt. I recommend getting decent belts, not necessarily from Mitsubishi, but not the cheapest things you can find either. Maybe Bando or Gates, but someone else can recommend a brand.

Thanks.

I just put brand new gatorback belts on there. "The quiet belt" LOL so I guess they are too loose. I think the whole "if you overtighten your belts, you'll blow your crank pulley again" got me scared.

So wow this thread probably just saved me a few hundred dollars. Ive been experiencing the squeal, and just thought it was my alt. belt, but i upon closer inspection i have a bad crank pulley. Thank you:thumb:

So wow this thread probably just saved me a few hundred dollars. Ive been experiencing the squeal, and just thought it was my alt. belt, but i upon closer inspection i have a bad crank pulley. Thank you:thumb:

haha that's what happens when people keep threads alive. :thumb:

Mine did the exact same thing, but the noise was s bit deeper at times. Sure enough it was the crank pulley. I was able to look at it with the motor running and watch it walk in and out about a 1/2 inch. When i pulled it off, the rubber was in great shape but had come un-clued from the outer section so it would spin on there untill the rubber heated and grabbed the outer ring.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back