The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

EVO VIII TURBO Vs. Evo III Turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclispestar

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 29, 2007
everywhere, Washington
What do you think is better the Evo VIII 16G TURBO Or the EvoIII 16g turbo? Cause I have a Evo VIII 16g turbo I am putting on a DSM. So I want to know what everyone thinks about this turbos.:dsm:

What do you think is better the Evo VIII 16G TURBO Or the EvoIII 16g turbo? Cause I have a Evo VIII 16g turbo I am putting on a DSM. So I want to know what everyone thinks about this turbos.:dsm:

First off search.. Second off, the two are completely different. An evo 8 turbo will not work on your dsm. So therefore, due to process of elimination the evo316g is better.

Yea man sell that turbo and put the money towards something you could use.

Anything could work... It's just a matter of how much would have to be moved and changed to make it work. But I thought the evo VIII had similar performance to a 20g with the 16G spool? or is that the 9? Either way it's alot easier to just sell that one and get the evo 3. And as far as the 2GNT I'd be interested to see if it could work as well... Could make for a decent turbo that may be available pretty cheap for those guys.

the evo 8 turbos are a bit laggy, i know i have one. LOL However the evo 8 turbo is a great add-on to any setup and a great starter turbo for great power.

The N/T would probobly be the easiest to adapt a turbo from a evolution. But still, its hard work considering you have to get a twin scroll exhaust manifold made for the application. Thats the biggest problem you'll encounter, plus the fact that you'll need to get coolant lines and oil lines to it in a reasonable fashion. If this is for a 2g turbo, forget, sell it and buy a 20g or small ball bearing turbo from PTE.

My question is where are these people getting these turbos left and right from? I know ebay sells them, but why do people go ahead and buy something that they didn't research to find out if it works. It makes no sense. Or they get it for cheap (ie chop shop). :( :nono:

James :laser:

I know some things about the evo8 turbo but I got one from a friend and I want to know if I could bolt it up to my 1991 eclipse gsx and what I am getting from ever one is that I should sell it and go get a evo3 16g turbo. If you know someone who is selling there evo3 16g turbo for a good pay then tell me. If I do sell the evo8 turbo I am looking to on pay like $200 for the evo3 16g turbo and that is with shipping and all that stuff. So I am getting that I should sell this turbo and get a different one. But I hear from one person on here that you could make the evo8 16g turbo work on a 1g eclipse and so what do you all think I should do. And to the one person who make his evo8 turbo work on his 1g can you tell me how to bolt on the evo8 turbo.:dsm::confused::cool:

It is possible to make it work but it would require some custom fabrication and a good deal of money. In addition to the twin scroll manifold you would also need to fabricate a custom intake pipe, custom downpipe and custom IC piping. Many things around the engine would have to be relocated to make space for the custom pieces. I'm sure there are other obstacles but these popped into my head right away.

For the money you would end up spending to make it work you could probably get a newer generation turbo (Garrett ball bearing, etc.) which would give you better performance than the EVO 8 turbo.

It would be a neat project for someone with a strict project car who can weld and do the fabrication himself but just doesn't make much sense for the vast majority of us.

I know some things about the evo8 turbo but I got one from a friend and I want to know if I could bolt it up to my 1991 eclipse gsx and what I am getting from ever one is that I should sell it and go get a evo3 16g turbo. If you know someone who is selling there evo3 16g turbo for a good pay then tell me. If I do sell the evo8 turbo I am looking to on pay like $200 for the evo3 16g turbo and that is with shipping and all that stuff. So I am getting that I should sell this turbo and get a different one. But I hear from one person on here that you could make the evo8 16g turbo work on a 1g eclipse and so what do you all think I should do. And to the one person who make his evo8 turbo work on his 1g can you tell me how to bolt on the evo8 turbo.:dsm::confused::cool:

For that money i would just keep the stock one if you can and keep saving. If yours is bad just get a 14b for the same money or any real 16g you can get your hands on. swaping turbos on a 1g can have some expenses you do not plan for like new rubber lines gaskets and so on that will cost more then you think.

I guess what i am saying is stay with your stock one and save some more money if you can.

Its possible to do and people have done it. Its been discussed many times and people always hate on the idea. I say if you have the time than go for it. :thumb:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3916288
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3916376

I know Dent Sport Garage once did this and had a write up and their conclusion was it wasn't worth it. So definitely it CAN be done. But I think it took them a lot of work and the gains were minimal. Just a FYI.

Well kudos

You are making it more complicated than it needs to be. There is no need to try and piece a turbo together. It would be far better to buy a diferent turbo and use it than it would be to try to piece one together. If you are dead set on doing it than use a stock evo 8 manifold along with the turbo. Once you have it bolted up you will be able to see what you will be required to do in order to get it running.

The simple list of what you need to get is.
1. Oil feed and drain lines.
Can easily be made using AN fittings and your choice of hose.
2. Downpipe.
One of the easier items to you are going to have to come up with. Just have a custom downpipe made to connect to the stock Evo 8 o2 housing, or aftermarket if you prefer to spend a little more money. Which isnt dificult to get done at all.
3. Intake pipe.
Because the inlet side of the turbo will be facing the driver side of the car it would be easier to get rid of the power steering so you dont have to route around it. Once you eliminate the power steering pump you have plenty of space to run an intake pipe and have your MAF and filter. If it were me doing it I would simplify everything and get a GM MAF and a MAF Translator. That way you wont need to worry about trying to recirculate you BOV and hooking the MAF on the drivers side of the car.

You are talking about selling this and only spending $200 for a 16g? Have you considered the fact that you spend at least another $200, having to remove the power steering, and possibly having to relocate the alternator to make the evo turbo work on your car. If is a money factor, sell you evo VIII turbo, sell your stock turbo, and add that to your $200 and get a turbo that fits.

Someone correct me if I wrong but isnt the angle of both turbine and compressor fins opposite of a conventional turbo? If so, swapping the turbine and compressor housings would be impossible even if the 16g counter parts would even fit.

Installing the turbo can be done. But other than for the sake of being different, it is really just a waste of time. If you you must do it, pay a local foundry to cast a new turbine housing that matches the dsm manifold but spins the turbo around and has a different offset to clear both the radiator and water pipe. Then have a machine shop cnc the turbine housing since it will be just a rough casting. It may get expensive, but so will making the VIII turbo work. At least you dont hack up your current setup just to change it back later if you decide its not what you want.

What is you just change out the hot side and keep ever thing else and then got a Monster Turbine Housing from Machv.com would that work and why would the cold side from an evo3 16g not work? Could you get the evo3 cold side take it to the machine shop and get it machine?:dsm:

:dsm::dsm:Hey guys I think I am going to sell my 14b and this evo8 16g and then get a evo3 16g and if I need to rebuild it then that is fine then and anyone know someone who is selling a evo3 16g?

Someone correct me if I wrong but isnt the angle of both turbine and compressor fins opposite of a conventional turbo? If so, swapping the turbine and compressor housings would be impossible even if the 16g counter parts would even fit.

Yes, you are correct :) . No evo4-8 housings are interchangable with 1-3 and 14b housings. Reverse scroll.

Well lets see, the evos are making around 240whp at 20 psi with that turbo. Is it worth it? I doubt it. Sure there are restrictions and all that stuff but seriously, why?

:) What's that really supposed to mean? So flippin' many evo8 guys have pushed that turbo to 380-400whp. Of course a stock cammed 2.0l will not make gobs of power on a stock tune. Take any stock 4g63 setup and, with a stock base tune at 20 psi and td05h turbine, attempt to make more.

That same turbo with a cam upgrade to open up flow and a decent tune has seen 320-350whp at 20ish psi. The turbo determines flow potential not, flow itself. The evo8 compressor can flow up to 615cfm. 0.29 m^3/sec X 60sec X 35.3ft^3 per m^3 = 615 cfm. 615 cfm is around 430hp! Add that to the better flowing evo8 HR turbine housing and divided runner exhaust manifold.

Here's the compressor map:

Attachments

• td05hr-16g6-raw.jpg
    td05hr-16g6-raw.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 3,759
:) What's that really supposed to mean? So flippin' many evo8 guys have pushed that turbo to 380-400whp. Of course a stock cammed 2.0l will not make gobs of power on a stock tune. Take any stock 4g63 setup and, with a stock base tune at 20 psi and td05h turbine, attempt to make more.

That same turbo with a cam upgrade to open up flow and a decent tune has seen 320-350whp at 20ish psi. The turbo determines flow potential not, flow itself. The evo8 compressor can flow up to 615cfm. 0.29 m^3/sec X 60sec X 35.3ft^3 per m^3 = 615 cfm. 615 cfm is around 430hp! Add that to the better flowing evo8 HR turbine housing and divided runner exhaust manifold.

Here's the compressor map:

Well ofcourse. I knew that. But why do it when its going to cost more thena 50 trim would that could make a good amount of power more.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back