Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 04:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 92
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 0

How do i tell if my car has abs and disc brake?

HI, i have a 97 eclipse gs-t spyder. My passenger side rear suspension knuckle is broken so i need it replaced but i am unsure of which specific kind of knuckle i would need so basically i need to know which kind of knuckle i need. On this page: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=3&catalogid=1 , it gives 2 options for my car, one with abs and one without. Can anyone tell me how i can tell if my car has abs or not so i can make the right choice. Also, when i brought my car into the shop for inspection, they told me that i need a knuckle specifically for disc brake type, but the mitsubishi catalog doesnt give an option for disc or drum brake system. So i am wondering if there is really any difference if the knuckle fits a disc or drum brake or if it is universal. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I found this on ebay so i was wondering if it would fit my application.

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 886
Classifieds Rating: 26
Abs is under hood . Something like this .
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2007, 05:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 3,236
Photos: 25
Classifieds Rating: 20
Look in the fuse box and see if there is fuses in the abs spots.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:06 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 3,792
Photos: 14
Classifieds Rating: 6
Send a message via AIM to 92awddsm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOKIE1 View Post
Abs is under hood . Something like this .
Actually, on a 2g, it is behind the bumper.

The 2g gst only came with rear disc brakes so that is no concern. As for abs, look under the rear and see if there is a sensor with a wire going to it in the knuckle. If so, it has abs. Or you could just get the abs knuckle which will work fine for non-abs cars. The non-abs knuckle is just missing the hole for the abs sensor and nothing else is different.

If you do have abs, you might end up having to replace the sensor in the knuckle also. Most that I have seen had the sensor rusted tight in the hole and cant be removed from the old knuckle without damaging it.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 3,236
Photos: 25
Classifieds Rating: 20
Here's a pic of where the abs unit is.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2007, 05:13 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Would this knuckle fit my car if i took off the drum? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...QQcmdZViewItem

ALso, is there a difference between the 95-96 eclipse knuckle as compared to the ones on 97-2005 knuckles?

Old 09-11-2007, 05:32 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

I checked the fuse box but there is no fuse where the abs should be, but when i check the lights in the dashboard, there is a Anti-lock light that flashes.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 886
Classifieds Rating: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92awddsm View Post
Actually, on a 2g, it is behind the bumper.

The 2g gst only came with rear disc brakes so that is no concern. As for abs, look under the rear and see if there is a sensor with a wire going to it in the knuckle. If so, it has abs. Or you could just get the abs knuckle which will work fine for non-abs cars. The non-abs knuckle is just missing the hole for the abs sensor and nothing else is different.

If you do have abs, you might end up having to replace the sensor in the knuckle also. Most that I have seen had the sensor rusted tight in the hole and cant be removed from the old knuckle without damaging it.
Damn 2g question . I stand corrected . Thanks .

Old 09-11-2007, 07:16 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 11,579
Photos: 20
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 135
Send a message via AIM to snowborder714
Quote:
Originally Posted by hun6over View Post
I checked the fuse box but there is no fuse where the abs should be, but when i check the lights in the dashboard, there is a Anti-lock light that flashes.
I think mine does that too but I don't have ABS.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:40 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Would a knuckle from a 97 eclipse with drum brakes work on my car? Mines is disc brake.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:00 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 3,792
Photos: 14
Classifieds Rating: 6
Send a message via AIM to 92awddsm
Quote:
Originally Posted by hun6over View Post
Would a knuckle from a 97 eclipse with drum brakes work on my car? Mines is disc brake.
It should work just fine. I converted my 97 rs from drum to disc removed from a 97 gst. I used the rs knuckles and everything bolted up just like it is supposed to with no issues at all. The only difference would be between abs and non abs. But as I already stated, the abs knuckle fit both just fine.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:56 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Does drum brakes come with abs? because this guy has a knuckle on his gs but it is drum brakes in the rear and he claims to have abs.

THis would be me last question. Thanks for all the advice and info guys.