Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 05:26 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Unverified Email Address

Tech Posts: 192
Classifieds Rating: 0

oil cooler lines

ok i have b&m air to oil cooler with both ports that face upwards. however i have it mounted sideways like this attached pic, is this ok? if this is ok, which line on the air/oil cooler (top or bottom) goes to which port on the 1990 oil filter housing (left or right port)?
if this is incorrect can someone please let me know how to correct this. thanks in advance.......
Attached Images

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:27 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 369
Photos: 11
Classifieds Rating: 2
Send a message via AIM to FonZ454
I run a b and m cooler.

Top line goes to the right (closer to inside of the car)
Bottom line goes to the left (front of the car)

Pretty sure it's the right way, and the car's been driven for 10k miles fine. Good 'mod'.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:41 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Unverified Email Address

can someone else agree with that? i just want to make sure its on the rite way thats all...

Old 08-02-2007, 07:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 646
Photos: 10
Reputation: hopwoodp is pretty helpful and trustworthyhopwoodp is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via Yahoo to hopwoodp
That sound correct to me. To would be feed while bottom is return.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:29 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopwoodp View Post
That sound correct to me. To would be feed while bottom is return.
No you want the top to be the return and the bottom the feed. This will ensure the cooler is full of oil. Though I'm not sure which is the feed on the 90 housing.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:00 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,432
Photos: 6
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 37
Send a message via AIM to Spoolin98
Quote:
Originally Posted by snox135 View Post
No you want the top to be the return and the bottom the feed. This will ensure the cooler is full of oil. Though I'm not sure which is the feed on the 90 housing.
This is correct, you want the top to be the return and the bottom to be the feed. On the oil housing, the left is outlet and the right is the inlet.

So...you want the top line to connect to the right and bottom line to connect to the left.

IM 99.9% sure this is correct, someone correct me if Im wrong.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:53 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Reputation: hopwoodp is pretty helpful and trustworthyhopwoodp is pretty helpful and trustworthy
When a line or system is pressurized it doesn't matter. It is if any bit different on initial pressurization that could be affected. To me and what I know, you would want a pretty easy path for the feed to allow "quicker" pressurization. I have spoke to alot of people about this and they will tell you the same thing.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,167
Photos: 8
Reputation: BUCK is extremely helpful and trustworthyBUCK is extremely helpful and trustworthyBUCK is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Thumbs up

I always hooked them up like a Radiator - IN at the Top - OUT at the bottom - Your putting the hottest Oil at the top side of the Cooler, not the bottom where the Heat would radiate upwards.
Visit BUCK's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 08-03-2007, 02:00 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Unverified Email Address

photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FonZ454 View Post
I run a b and m cooler.

Top line goes to the right (closer to inside of the car)
Bottom line goes to the left (front of the car)

Pretty sure it's the right way, and the car's been driven for 10k miles fine. Good 'mod'.
ok so this what he stated above is correct then? air cooler feed = right port on oil filter housing...............and air cooler return = left port on oil filter housing..... right???

drawing attached..... (air/oil cooler LEFT side) (filter housing on RIGHT)so the lines go like this?
Attached Images

Last edited by DsM KiD4; 08-03-2007 at 03:52 AM.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:04 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DsM KiD4 View Post
ok so this what he stated above is correct then? air cooler feed = right port on oil filter housing...............and air cooler return = left port on oil filter housing..... right???

drawing attached..... (air/oil cooler LEFT side) (filter housing on RIGHT)so the lines go like this?
Im pretty sure its the oppostie way, the right is the oil cooler return and the left is the feed.

The purpose of feeding the cooler from the bottom is to prevent air bubbles in the cooler.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:14 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
When a line or system is pressurized it doesn't matter. It is if any bit different on initial pressurization that could be affected. To me and what I know, you would want a pretty easy path for the feed to allow "quicker" pressurization. I have spoke to alot of people about this and they will tell you the same thing.
From the reading I have done, the oil cooler is only fed oil when the oil thermostat reaches a certain temperature.

So, every time the thermostat opens the cooler has to be filled, if you fill it from the top, air can be trapped in it. If you fill it from the bottom, there is no way air can be trapped.

Ex. Say you have a 19 row oil cooler and you feed it from the top. Oil may go down the first 10 rows faster than the last 9 rows and there is a CHANCE air could be trapped in it. Now if you feed the same cooler from the bottom, its like filling a pool, its will fill each row at the same rate.

Your theory of pressurized systems may be correct for some things, but I disagree with you on this one.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:25 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK View Post
I always hooked them up like a Radiator - IN at the Top - OUT at the bottom - Your putting the hottest Oil at the top side of the Cooler, not the bottom where the Heat would radiate upwards.
The only time heat would radiate upwards is when your sitting still, which the air oil cooler isnt cooling oil anyway because your not moving. So at a stand still, with the cooler being fed at idle, you are correct, the heat would radiate upwards. While driving the heat would not radiate upwards, which is when the oil cooler is actually cooling.

If your theory was correct, then wouldnt it make sense to build intercoolers with the inlet
at the top and the outlet at the bottom? Every intercooler I have seen that ran top to bottom, like the stock side mount coolers, are fed air from the bottom and the outlet is at the top. Obviously not so air doesnt get trapped in it, but because the only time the intercooler is cooling is while your driving. Basically what Im saying is, I dont think it matters if the heat radiates upwards from the bottom of any air cooler because it will only happen while sitting still, which the cooler is not being affective at that point anyway.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:15 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin98 View Post
From the reading I have done, the oil cooler is only fed oil when the oil thermostat reaches a certain temperature.

So, every time the thermostat opens the cooler has to be filled, if you fill it from the top, air can be trapped in it. If you fill it from the bottom, there is no way air can be trapped.

Ex. Say you have a 19 row oil cooler and you feed it from the top. Oil may go down the first 10 rows faster than the last 9 rows and there is a CHANCE air could be trapped in it. Now if you feed the same cooler from the bottom, its like filling a pool, its will fill each row at the same rate.

Your theory of pressurized systems may be correct for some things, but I disagree with you on this one.
Wait, are you talking about the 1990 style oil cooler bracket and hook up and some kind of external setup that involves a bracket hooked up to the oil filter that runs lines in and out?

Old 08-03-2007, 12:52 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Wait, are you talking about the 1990 style oil cooler bracket and hook up and some kind of external setup that involves a bracket hooked up to the oil filter that runs lines in and out?
Im talking about the 90 style oil filter housing with an external oil cooler.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:15 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Unverified Email Address

ok so i have one person tellin me one way and the other person saying the other way lol. so what way is suppose to go for sure?????????????////

Old 08-03-2007, 01:53 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,167
Photos: 8
Reputation: BUCK is extremely helpful and trustworthyBUCK is extremely helpful and trustworthyBUCK is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Thumbs up

Installing an upgraded oil cooler.

The Big Mavisky speaks...
Visit BUCK's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 08-03-2007, 03:26 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 369
Photos: 11
Send a message via AIM to FonZ454

Mine. pretty sure I used mavinsky's guide as a...guide.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK View Post
Installing an upgraded oil cooler.

The Big Mavisky speaks...
You just proved that how you said to hook up the lines is wrong.

"If fed from the sides the feed line needs to be on bottom and the return line on top. This guarantees that no air bubbles will be trapped in the cooler rendering it less effective"

"Remember the front fitting on the housing (left) is the feed line and the rear fitting (right) is the return"

This is exactly what I posted earlier.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Unverified Email Address

so it goes like this then? left port on oil housing goes to bottom of oil cooler...top oil cooler goes to right port on oil housing?
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2007, 07:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DsM KiD4 View Post
so it goes like this then? left port on oil housing goes to bottom of oil cooler...top oil cooler goes to right port on oil housing?
Correct.