The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Symptoms of a bad TPS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor3180

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 15, 2007
Deposit, New_York
Well for starters my car threw a great "CEL" at me last night on my way home. I took it to a local garage earlier today and $100 WTF later the guy tells me the codes it is throwing are #120 (TPS Switch A Circuit Malfunction), and #442 (Small EVAP Leak). The second one we ruled out was just my gas cap wasn't on tight enough or so what he told me. But anyways the Price was ridiculous that was just to start my anger. 2nd he told me a new sensor would have to be ordered and it would run me $400. :mad: So being the smart individual I am I got a new "used" sensor from a local junkyard. My questions are as follows..... 1. Every now and then when I would be on the gas partially it would feel like it was running out of gas and then all of a sudden just be normal. As soon as the problem would start it would go away. I used to notice it going up large hills but now that doesn't happen anymore now it just happens everywhere but not all the time. It won't happen for weeks and then all of a sudden it starts doing it again. I have known about this TPS sensor for almost ten months my buddy said his car was the same way and that fixed it. I did a boost leak test and the clutch is fairly new that is ruled out. Does that sound like just a TPS to any of you. Sorry for the length just wanted to make sure you had enough details.

Certainly could be the TPS. Did you do an ohm check to see if there was any bad spot in yours?

I know i had a problem with my TPS and throttle plate not being right. the engine would surge and almost no throlle. like cruise 20 to 25. Adjusting the TPS fixed the problem.

Yes I did do an ohm test and found a bad spot. I picked up like I said one out of a junkyard and am now waiting for time to install it. Fingers crossed that goes easy. Most people say they take out the throttle body I don't think thats really neccesary do you? And is there any other symtptoms that I might be over looking. I just really want to make sure that this sensor is the source of my problems

The lower screw will be hard to get to but an 8mm wrench works. Lating your time you can get it off while the throttle body is on there but its not real hard to take off the throttle body either. I also believe there is a differance between 1g and 2g TPS.
The holes on the tps are slotted to allow for adjustment so just make sure u have it adjusted correctly.
There is an adjusment procedure in the repair manual.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back