The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

auto to manual trans swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigboycsrobo

Probationary Member
May 21, 2007
souderton, Pennsylvania
has anyone every done a auto to manual trans swap. i want to know if it hard and if i could do it in 2 days

If you have all the tools and parts on hand there is no reason u couldnt do it in 1 full day. I have done 2 auto to manual swaps w/ the motor out and it only took me a couple hourson the second one. The brake pedal assembly is the hardest part so do that first and then after that its all downhill. There are plenty of resources on here and othe sites in the DSM community. Feel free to pm me if u need to know anything.

p.s. I never hooked up the reverse lights but its not hard to do ive heard. I jus highly doubt im gonna get pulled over for not having reverse lights. LOL :talon: :thumb:

I just did it in about 4 hours. Its not as hard as they say it is.I looked at v faq a lot though< its very helpful.But yeah if you have everything dont be scared, Good luck

If you have all the parts it's a bolt up affair, minus the wiring, which requires some slight modification on a 1g. It's relatively straight forward, the hardest part being swapping the pedal assembly.

However, if you are asking if it can be done in 2 days, you probably need to do the appropriate research first.

The mechanical is easy. Does anyone have directions on the wiring? I have to hook up the reverse lights and neutral safety switch for my car to go through inspection.

It took me 3 weeks(taking my time).Including having to remove the donor car parts myself and replacing my head.Its not that hard but at times I felt like screaming.(pedal assembly is a bi***)

i felt like bumping an old thread to add some notes..
first off the swap is pretty straight forward
you need all your mt components and the rear dif
but one problem i ran into was i was swapping a mt from a 1ga to a 1gb shell i also swapped the motor from the 1ga and this is where the probs came into play
none of the top end components plugged into the wiring harness the ign coils tps ect all needed to be swapped over as well as the fuel rail due to the fact that the tps from the 1gb hits the 1ga fuel rail.. also the 1ga front axels were too long but the shorter axels that were on the car plug right in.. oh and for the neutral safety switch there are two heavier duty black wires on the big connector for the at. wire them together and thats taken care of

oh yeah took me 19 staight hours to complete

well i agree with that but if the price is right id go with it, it seems like a lot of work to go through. id check vfaq

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back