The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Towing broken down FWD & AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreopride18

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 19, 2002
Crestview_Fl
I've wondered about this (no, I don't park in "No Parking" zones)

If my AWD gets towed by two wheels and the differential gets fried do I have to pay for the damage done or would it come out of the private property/towing companies pocket?

I'm guessing just about all towing companies have some sort of "not responsible for damages" policy. you'd probably be SOL

Most of the time if your car gets towed (without you asking) they'll put it on a flat bed because most cars out there are FWD and the e-brake is set in the back. If you get it towed yourself always use a flat bed. :)

Originally posted by 97GSTURBO
Most of the time if your car gets towed (without you asking) they'll put it on a flat bed because most cars out there are FWD and the e-brake is set in the back. If you get it towed yourself always use a flat bed. :)

Good call!! I've worked for a junk yard driving wrecker for around 9 years, and a flat bed is the only way to go!! There are how ever Wreckers that carry dollies for the rear wheels. They're a pain though.

The question about towing with the rear wheels, if a tow company does tow your car that way and it ruins the diff or transfer, they are acountable, but only if the vehicle isn't left in an illegal situation. -ie no (P) zone or abbandoned.

The best thing to do is to make sure that it's clearly marked an AWD if you do have to leave it somewhere for very long, and if it's broken down and your going for HELP!, Make sure that you leave a note telling all that you are getting assistance...And that it's AWD. Hopefully this will help you to save face and a couple large bills.....

Yea. The main reason I asked is because I wanted to lose the "16v All Wheel Drive Turbo" sticker. But my dad brought up the point that should the car ever died somewhere and I had to leave then a towing company is called to pull the car. I'd hate to be out all that money so I'll just leave the "all-wheel-drive" sticker on.

The only way to go is with a flat bed so hope fully .....if you do ever get towed its with a flat bed, or good bye $$$$

I'm going to pick up an awd laser today and I will be towing it with a U-Haul tow dolly. Is ok to just tow it with front wheels off the ground or do I need to disconnect the rear axels or drive shaft? I will be towing it for a long distance. I was told it would tear up the rear end if I just towed it.

one word. flatbed.

at least I hope that's supposed to be one word. if not, then two words. flat bed.

Totally.

go with the flatbed. they may cost a smidgen more, but its the only way to go. shell out the extra dough, and keep your AWD dsm an AWD.

Even if you remove the rear driveshaft, you would still need a VC eliminator much as if you were going to dyno an AWD on a FWD dyno.

Get a flatbed. Have AAA? Wait a day and say it won't start. Then get it towed under coverage.

I just picked my DSM AWD down in Maryland about 2.5 hrs from me. Spend the extra 10 bucks at U-Haul and rent the car transporter well worth it! I believe it cost me 50 bucks to rent with insurance.

haha if u try towing a awd will the tranny or transfer case snap or somethin? because i park in my school's parkin lot w/o a pass cuz they refuse to give me a bus cuz they claim i live to close but its lil over a 1/4 mile and i aint walking but anyways, after 3 weeks straight of getting $20 tickets the principal was standing by my car one day when school let out and said blah blah blah u park here again, u get towed, and i said yea go ahead i'd like that....i could use a new transmission and he said huh? and i said nothing, i hope you tow it and got in my car and left. 3 months later, im still parking in the lot, and getting tickets :)

hey i was just wondering if anyone ever had a problem towing a awd talon. i trying having my car towed to a bodyshop tonight and the rear wheels would lock up after we got down the street. is this normal???? if so please let me know why.... the parking break was off and the car was in neutral. please let me know

AWD DSMs MUST be either carried on a slideback, or dollied. YOU CANNOT TOW THEM ROLLING.

And gitcha an owner's manual ASAP.

Your mechanic should have known this. Find one who has some more sense..... perhaps who can read the BIG ORANGE STICKER on the doorjamb.

OUCH! Are you for real or is this a joke?

At the very best case, you are looking at a fused together center diff (~$500)... Or it could be much worse...

They own you a new tranny. Good luck getting them to pay for it :(.

We had one local guy towed with rear wheels on the ground. They ended buying him a new tranny, transfer case and rear end. Around $4000 worth of work.

Leon
RR

What if your car gets towed for illegally bring parked or something? I'm assuming it's still your fault even their they screwed up (Since you shouldn't be parked there in the first place) That you'll have to pay for whatever gets damaged.

This will ruin the Viscous Coupling in the transfer case. I know this for a fact cause i blew one up at the track once on a hard launch years ago. When i took it to the dealer under warranty they said they had seen several like mine that had been towed improperly. Of cource i didnt tell them how mine broke:)
Anyway I hope everything works out man, Sucks when your car breaks when your not even racing.......

yeeep happened to me, al though i have a 91 TSI with ABS, and it was towed about 3 miles from the place i bought it and you know, nothing happened to my car and i have it as my daily driver and put on 15,000 miles so far with out a problem, wll i think my trans is going now, but the car had 86k miles on it and now 101k and ran fine after that! hope this helps

ive always wanted to try to get towed to attempt getting a new tranny because my 2nd gear is SOO bad LOL im really workin hard on getting towed by the school but all they do is keep fining me. the lot is to small to get a flatbed in there sicne they have to pull up in line w/ ur car, but even at an angle there's barley enough room for a flat bed so i doubt they'd go through the trouble of getting one and just use a regular 2-wheel tower which in turn would rip my drivetrain to pieces :) LOL

After I crashed my car on the highway, they towed with it only the front wheels off the ground....the rears locked up and it made this squeaking noise for awhile until finally it just gave way and rolled freely. The car was smashed anyway so it didnt matter :(

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back