The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

hallman pro better than pro rx? WHY?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo98eclipse

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2004
northern, New_Jersey
well i was reading up on these mbc's and was going to go with the hallman pro rx series, until i looked at this...http://www.boostcontroller.com/display_page.php?i=18 it says that the pro can go 30+psi but the pro rx can only adjust 5psi more or less than stock...im going to get an evo III within 2-3 months and will want to run around 21psi which is like 11+ than stock. my question is... why is the pro so "under powered"? is it because of the ceramic ball or what?:confused:

You more or less answered your own question without realizing it :)

The RX model, with the ceramic ball, is designed to be more sensitive than the steel ball unit. The RX is ideal for turning the boost up just a few psi over the stock settings whereas the basic Pro kit is designed for more drastic adjustments in boost setting. An example of where the Pro RX kit is more ideal is with EVO owners that look to run just a few pounds of boost on top.

I have the Hallman Pro (non RX) controller myself and absolutely love it. You will too.

i bought the pro rx for my talon and it came witha different ball and spring, but the ceramic was installed. Directions sayed it was for 5 pounds over stock boost but the (im assuming steel ball) and spring will let me go much more than that. It doesnt give an exact number though so i really couldnt tell you. But what i can tell you is that with the ceramic ball it wont run any higher than 22psi on my car.

I want to know if the above statement's are true, if so i found the answer to my boost problem.

I have the hallman pro rx and every so often my boost drops to WG pressure (15psi), i have to unstick the ball/spring for my boost to go back to 30psi (i take it apart and re-assemble). I thought maybe the heat was making the spring weak but i guess not.

FYI: My mbc is not dirty when i take it apart, and i have the heavy spring installed.

That's good to hear, but then i have some sort of issue with mine. I'm Going to try a different mounting location and see if anything changes.

I've had this mbc for a long time, its just recently been giving me issues.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back