Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2006, 06:19 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 998
Photos: 19
Classifieds Rating: 2
photo

Will K&N FIPK fit an Injen intake pipe?

Hey guys, i am looking at the Injen intake kit for my 97 GST. Will my K&N air filter (pictured below) fit on the Injen intake pipe? I have heard two things, one that the k&n filter WILL fit and another that the k&n air filter WILL NOT fit. I want to save a little money if i could by keeping my filter on the injen intake that i already have rather than buying and new filter that comes with the kit. Thanks!

Last edited by kmoore; 04-06-2006 at 03:58 PM.
View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:25 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 198
Classifieds Rating: 3
yes it will

Old 03-29-2006, 06:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Yeah i know the filter stays on the MAF but will the injen intake be too long and have the filter hit the inside fender and intercooler pipe? Thanks for the quick response also

Old 03-29-2006, 06:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

you should replace that bov too. and you have pm.
Anton

Old 03-29-2006, 08:34 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 55
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to redmayns
hey, you are going to have a little trouble cause i think the filter will touch a tinny bit, nothing too big, it took me a little brain power to fit it in with my greddy pipng, hey if you need a rfl bov or a blitz dd bov, pm me or mail me at redmayns123@yahoo.com i have both and i wanna get rid of them for like 50 bucks a piece, or else just get back to me and we can work something out.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:20 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 4,519
Classifieds Rating: 7
Yes it can be made to fit, but like has been said the Injen intake places the MAF closer to the passenger fender so it will be a tight fit. I do know a couple people that have this setup and they got it to work.

Old 03-30-2006, 03:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

daren p what do you mean when you say "It can be MADE to fit?" I am a little confused when you say that. Do you mean i will have to cut an inch or so off the pipe? Thanks for the replies

Old 03-30-2006, 03:47 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoore
daren p what do you mean when you say "It can be MADE to fit?" I am a little confused when you say that. Do you mean i will have to cut an inch or so off the pipe? Thanks for the replies
I dont think you have to cut it, I have a buddy that runs a similar setup (ebay metal intake w/ k&N fipk) and he just had to persuade it a little bit. John

Old 03-31-2006, 09:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 302
Photos: 1
Send a message via AIM to 1glaserturbo
That intake will fit, my buddy in his GS-T is running the same exact one. Filter and all!

Old 04-01-2006, 01:16 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmayns
hey, you are going to have a little trouble cause i think the filter will touch a tinny bit, nothing too big, it took me a little brain power to fit it in with my greddy pipng, hey if you need a rfl bov or a blitz dd bov, pm me or mail me at redmayns123@yahoo.com i have both and i wanna get rid of them for like 50 bucks a piece, or else just get back to me and we can work something out.
why would you tell someone to vent to the atmosphere?

just wondering

Anton

Old 04-01-2006, 02:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

So you guys are saying that i shouldn't have a problem fitting the filter on the Injen intake and that i won't have any clearance issues? Will ANYTHING at all be hitting or making a noise if i install this thing? Thanks

Old 04-01-2006, 10:59 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 24
Send a message via AIM to jtxtrmboost
From past experience on my old set up the K&N FIP fits "barely" with the Injen intake pipe. (It hugs the passenger inner fender wall). You have to give it a little extra "push" but it works, my advice would be to take the filter itself off the MAF and install everything - then put the filter on last - that way you can slip the filter over the MAF on an angle. If you get the hard upper intercooler pipe it gets even more snug at the inner fender wall, but it can be done. Works great though

Oh - definitely need a new BOV - soon!

Good luck, the exact set up got me into the low 14's alone!

Old 04-03-2006, 01:41 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 516
Photos: 13
You are going to receive replies saying it does fit and doesn't fit. Bottom line is it can be made to fit, but it will be a tight squeeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoore

No, definitely don't trim the pipe. I emailed a guy on here a while back about making the K&N FIPK fit with an Injen pipe. Unfortunately, I can't remember his name, but my point is he DID successfully install both. How??? He built a custom bracket to hold the air filter down. This did the trick, as the air filter now clears the fender well.

Here are some of the pictures he graciously sent me...

I hope this helps you out. If you have any more questions let me know.

-Andrew

Old 09-09-2011, 11:47 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 305
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 4
Send a message via MSN to davidalindsey Send a message via Yahoo to davidalindsey
I know old thread....
I just installed a K&N FIPK with my Injen intake.
Fits perfect, I just didnt use the mounting hardware.

Last edited by davidalindsey; 09-09-2011 at 03:39 PM.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:31 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 6,590
Classifieds Rating: 29
Send a message via AIM to LiquidX
Then I suppose it will fit the much much more affordable ($50) intake pipe being the same piece.
95-99 ECLIPSE GST/GSX/TALON TSI 2.0 I4 TURBO AIR INTAKE | eBay

97 ṰŠlΩИ ṰƧɨ Λ₩ƿ

Old 09-09-2011, 12:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 614
Photos: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQUiDx View Post
Then I suppose it will fit the much much more affordable ($50) intake pipe being the same piece.
95-99 ECLIPSE GST/GSX/TALON TSI 2.0 I4 TURBO AIR INTAKE | eBay
Thank you

Old 09-09-2011, 01:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 733
Photos: 15
Classifieds Rating: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidalindsey View Post
I know old thread....
I just installed a K&N FIPK with my Ingen intake.
Fits perfect, I just didnt use the mounting hardware.

Same thing I've been running for a couple of year's now with no issuse's.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:13 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Banned Member

Tech Posts: 1,127
Photos: 6
Classifieds Rating: -1
In any case, you can allways either open up the the fender wall, or shorten the pipe.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:47 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 305
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 4
Send a message via MSN to davidalindsey Send a message via Yahoo to davidalindsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostinsideways View Post
In any case, you can allways either open up the the fender wall, or shorten the pipe.
No way would I cut into a $250.00 intake.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,931
Classifieds Rating: 10
Reputation: Tyeler18 is pretty helpful and trustworthyTyeler18 is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidalindsey View Post
No way would I cut into a $250.00 intake.
No way would I BUY a $250 intake pipe.