The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

HOw to remove internal wastegate flapper

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandons 95

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 13, 2006
deltona, Florida
I have the e3 16g and I am going to run an external wastegate off the o2 housing I have taken the acuator off the out side of the turbo but im not sure how to get the flapper out, do you have to cut it off,or can you remove the whole assembly, and if you can what do you do with the whole that will be left in the housing where the acuator connects to the flapper. thanks for any advice

On my 50 trim i just grinded the flapper arm down and cut it into two peices, then the arm just slid out the other side. For the hole, i took it to somebody that welded the hole shut, hasnt leaked yet.

Most people just leave the flapper in there to fill the hole .
You just weld the flapper shut with a few tack's
There isnt really any reason to remove it.

dave99gst said:
Most people just leave the flapper in there to fill the hole .
You just weld the flapper shut with a few tack's
There isnt really any reason to remove it.
Dave - He's actually monting his wastegate on the O2 houseng, not the manifold. So, welding the flapper shut would be the complete opposite thing to do.

(PS - I know you know this, and I'm sure you simply misread the first post. I just wanted to correct you so everyone else wouldn't get the wrong idea. :thumb: )

Back from the dead, I was wondering the same thing. Yes I understand I could just cut the arm, but if it got in there in 1 piece, it has to come out in 1 piece. It looked as though the "washer" around the top of the flapper can be cut then the flapper will come loose. But then what if when I upgrade turbos the buyer wants it back to internal?

EDIT

Solved my own issue. I ended up taking a chisel and breaking the washer off. The flapper came right off and the arm came out with a little persuasion. No more internal gate.

-Grind the welded or peened portion of the flapper itself off of the lever inside the housing.

-Grind the weld off of the lever on top of the housing that the actuator attaches to.

-Pop the outside lever off, tap the remaining portion of the flapper lever down through the hole. You may need drive the entire sleeve upward and out of the housing for clearance.

-Use a bolt or a weld piece of rod in place to fill the hole where the actuator lever and sleeve once went through the housing.

Done!

-Grind the welded or peened portion of the flapper itself off of the lever inside the housing.

-Grind the weld off of the lever on top of the housing that the actuator attaches to.

-Pop the outside lever off, tap the remaining portion of the flapper lever down through the hole. You may need drive the entire sleeve upward and out of the housing for clearance.

-Use a bolt or a weld piece of rod in place to fill the hole where the actuator lever and sleeve once went through the housing.

Done!
Yeah, that was the part that concerned me. I wasn't sure if there was enough clearance to get the "shaft" out through the wastegate hole. Nevertheless, it worked. We got my roommate's 18G all ready for running an external wastegate. Thanks for the post, Justin. :thumb:

I'm going to "bump" this because I'd like to know if I can remove the flapper (without breaking all kinds of junk) so that maybe one day I can reinstall it if I want to go back to an internally gated turbo.

This is on a small 16g if it matters. Thanks

Just grind the top off the flapper and remove it. Wire the arm into the open position so it does not get in the way of the opening. Easy to reverse if you want to go back to internal gate.

Just grind the top off the flapper and remove it. Wire the arm into the open position so it does not get in the way of the opening. Easy to reverse if you want to go back to internal gate.

Hello folks!

Is there no suplier who sells an turbine site with allready the flapper removed etc.

Also Plug and play? So that i dont have to brake it by myself... (If i want to sell it later on,... its also again plug and play..)
(I want to install the punishment 02 house with tial 38mm)

Thanks Alot!

Done!

Ok I tried this to no avail. There isn't clearance to get the arm out and the sleeve won't budge (and yes, I already broke the weld). Any tips? The lever and the flapper are off, I just can't get the arm of sleeve out.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drive the sleeve out a bit from the inside of the housing by using a thin punch, then the remaining portion of the actuator lever should be able to come out in the wastegate hole area.

If not, break out the torches. LOL

Drive the sleeve out a bit from the inside of the housing by using a thin punch, then the remaining portion of the actuator lever should be able to come out in the wastegate hole area.

If not, break out the torches. LOL

I went back out there with a renewed vengeance and wailed on it like I had a pair and out it came. Thanks!

i cut the flapper off and slide it out, also used a piece of the rod to fill the hole and welded it shut. i havent had any leaks or issues.

I drilled 2 holes in mine then hit it with a punch to get it out

then I just cut the rest of the flapper of and put it back in the turbo and welded the plug back in.

You could, but the flapper doesn't open up entirely in stock form plus many of the guys running wastegates off the o2 housing want to do some creative porting in order to maximize flow to the external gate:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back