Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web



















Login



Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

Reply
 
 
LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2005, 08:01 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member
 

4g63telantra's Avatar
Car: 94 Hyundai Elantra
Registered: Dec 2004
Tech Posts: 353
Classifieds Rating: -1
Reputation: 4g63telantra is an unknown

Intercooler Too BIG or Too SMALL???


Just wanted to know, How can you tell if a Intercooler is too big or too small for a turbo?


mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 10:07 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member
 

brute's Avatar
Registered: Jun 2005
Tech Posts: 1,515
Photos: 12
Classifieds Rating: 2
Reputation: brute is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tobrute is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tobrute is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tobrute is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to brute
if the intercooler is too small to handle the boost, you will get heat soak. and if the intercooler is too big you will have boost spikes
Visit brute's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 10:09 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member
 

fwdturbobov1996's Avatar
Registered: Feb 2004
Tech Posts: 559
Classifieds Rating: 0
Reputation: fwdturbobov1996 isn't as helpful as most
Quote:
Originally Posted by brute
if the intercooler is too small to handle the boost, you will get heat soak. and if the intercooler is too big you will have boost spikes

I thought you would also experience slow spool up if the intercooler is too big. Buddy got his fmic before his turbo and t25 spooled 1500 rpm later lol. .

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 11:12 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Probationary Member
 

420aonboost's Avatar
Registered: Jul 2005
Tech Posts: 26
Reputation: 420aonboost is an unknown
yes thats correct...if your intercooler is too big then you will get more lag from your turbo

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 10:57 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member
 

96bmwm3's Avatar
Registered: Mar 2004
Tech Posts: 38
Classifieds Rating: 1
Reputation: 96bmwm3 is an unknown
This is not necessarily true. Spool is a function of exhaust flow.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 12:47 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member
 

tstkl's Avatar
Car: I wish I had /\ still
Registered: Feb 2005
Tech Posts: 1,996
Classifieds Rating: 6
Reputation: tstkl is pretty helpful and trustworthytstkl is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96bmwm3
This is not necessarily true. Spool is a function of exhaust flow.
THIS IS NOT NECESSARILY TRUE

if you dont know, dont speak....

think about it, a larger intercooler has a larger volume, which means the turbo charger has to fill your larger intercooler with pressurized air before it starts filling the uicp, then the intake manifold, then the engine, if you increase the volume of your intake system after the turbocharger, the spool WILL decrease, doesnt matter how unnoticable it is to you, it will... thats why people ask, Will a 3 inch uicp give me too much lag? and why i went with short route piping over long route... saves a lot of piping, cutting down on volume...

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 01:18 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member
 

Slipstream's Avatar
Registered: Jun 2004
Tech Posts: 408
Classifieds Rating: 1
Reputation: Slipstream is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4g63telantra
Just wanted to know, How can you tell if a Intercooler is too big or too small for a turbo?
In addition to the other replies please also note that turbos should have a rating for how many cfm of air they'll push...good intercoolers also have cfm ratings. Keeping this in mind when shopping for an ic will help you pick one that will at least flow enough air to keep up with your turbo, but not so much air that you're overbuying. (how well an ic actually cools the charge air is another matter entirely) but for volume sake this should get you started.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 11:17 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member
 

96bmwm3's Avatar
Registered: Mar 2004
Tech Posts: 38
Classifieds Rating: 1
Reputation: 96bmwm3 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstkl
THIS IS NOT NECESSARILY TRUE

if you dont know, dont speak....

think about it, a larger intercooler has a larger volume, which means the turbo charger has to fill your larger intercooler with pressurized air before it starts filling the uicp, then the intake manifold, then the engine, if you increase the volume of your intake system after the turbocharger, the spool WILL decrease, doesnt matter how unnoticable it is to you, it will... thats why people ask, Will a 3 inch uicp give me too much lag? and why i went with short route piping over long route... saves a lot of piping, cutting down on volume...
Ok, then I'll speak. Spool WILL NOT necessarily decrease.

Check your definitions. Spool does NOT = lag. I will admit that 420aonboost did say "lag" and not spool. But the poster before said that an intercooler would decrease spool.

Spool refers to a turbo's spinning up to speed and creating boost. This is a function of exhaust flow, geometry, etc. In fact you might even say the more volume in the system the faster the turbo will spool (probably shouldn't say this, I don't know for a fact, but looking at the decrease in back pressure I suppose you could argue that).

Lag actually refers to how long it takes to spool the turbo when you're already at a sufficient engine speed to create boost. This can be affected by piping, intercooler, etc. But is usually not noticeable unless the componets you have added increase the pressure drop through your system considerably.

Oh, and just because people wonder about the affects of certain parts and because you installed short route piping doesn't make that theory a fact.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 03:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member
 

brn2race96's Avatar
Registered: Nov 2004
Tech Posts: 32
Classifieds Rating: 1
Reputation: brn2race96 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to brn2race96
this is a usefull thread.... i have a 2g 6bolt with a 14b turbo. I was in the market for a intercooler, any suggestions as to what will be best for moi. I wanted to go fmic, will that be too big?
Visit brn2race96's homepage! 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 03:22 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member
 

JessesTalon's Avatar
Car: Nissan Skyline R33
Registered: Dec 2003
Tech Posts: 619
Classifieds Rating: 1
Reputation: JessesTalon is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to JessesTalon Send a message via MSN to JessesTalon
If its heat soaking its too small.....

just get a evo fmic... good cheap decent cooling and will handle at least 16g's no problems


____________________________
--Jesse
Visit JessesTalon's homepage! 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 03:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Probationary Member
 

talonkid420's Avatar
Registered: Aug 2005
Tech Posts: 2
Reputation: talonkid420 is an unknown
What about a GT30? I know that I will need a bigger on then the on on my stock GSX

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 05:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member
 

ericbev's Avatar
Timeslip: 14.815 @ 92.230
Registered: Oct 2004
Tech Posts: 623
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 0
Reputation: ericbev is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toericbev is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toericbev is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toericbev is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toericbev is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to ericbev
You all need to read this... its big but has alot of information

http://www.are.com.au/techtalk/intecoolersMR.htm


____________________________
-Eric Beverly
Visit ericbev's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 05:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member
 

tstkl's Avatar
Car: I wish I had /\ still
Registered: Feb 2005
Tech Posts: 1,996
Classifieds Rating: 6
Reputation: tstkl is pretty helpful and trustworthytstkl is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96bmwm3
Ok, then I'll speak. Spool WILL NOT necessarily decrease.

Check your definitions. Spool does NOT = lag. I will admit that 420aonboost did say "lag" and not spool. But the poster before said that an intercooler would decrease spool.

Spool refers to a turbo's spinning up to speed and creating boost. This is a function of exhaust flow, geometry, etc. In fact you might even say the more volume in the system the faster the turbo will spool (probably shouldn't say this, I don't know for a fact, but looking at the decrease in back pressure I suppose you could argue that).

Lag actually refers to how long it takes to spool the turbo when you're already at a sufficient engine speed to create boost. This can be affected by piping, intercooler, etc. But is usually not noticeable unless the componets you have added increase the pressure drop through your system considerably.

Oh, and just because people wonder about the affects of certain parts and because you installed short route piping doesn't make that theory a fact.
ok lets go through this peice by peice... your right spool is not lag, but looking at spool is like looking at hp output and trying to nail down performance, a 400hp truck isnt faster than a 200 hp car,... what am i getting at? all that really matters is the final, noticable result, aka lag... why care how long it takes your turbo to create pressure if you cant use it?

i dont even know what your talking about when you say the more volume in the system the faster the turbo will spool, are you talking about exaust or intake? either way i think its a false statement, since exhaust gas velocity is a lot more important the overall volume, (think if you had 500 liters of gas moving at 0 m/s, fast spool right?)

i believe you arent familiar with modern physics, and the absolute gas equationv=nrt

or for those of you that dont understand, (pressure) x (volume) = (number of molecules) x (some constant i forgot the name of) x (temperature)

pressure drop is not caused by the components of your intake system, the reason why your intercooler has a lower pressure at its outlet than at its inlet is due to the fact that n, and r are constant, and v cannot change at the same rate as t is, so p changes as well as v, (colder air is denser, right? thats why you get a decrease in v with t, but p also drops some as well)

and the reason why i said people wonder and i did install short route piping is because, like the concept that a bigger exaust pipe will flow more gases, some true facts make their way to the modern uneducated public, (and they feed off that info, which is why you have 5 inch mufflers on the back of civics, which doesnt help, but in there warped and twisted ways of looking at exhaust, it does)... and i installed short route piping because the lower volume will decrease lag, theres no way to get around physics... it will decrease lag, while my fmic will increase it since the volume of that is about 3 times as great as my old intercooler...

im done, if i forgot anything, tell me...

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 08:40 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member
 

96bmwm3's Avatar
Registered: Mar 2004
Tech Posts: 38
Classifieds Rating: 1
Reputation: 96bmwm3 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstkl
ok lets go through this peice by peice... your right spool is not lag, but looking at spool is like looking at hp output and trying to nail down performance, a 400hp truck isnt faster than a 200 hp car,... what am i getting at? all that really matters is the final, noticable result, aka lag... why care how long it takes your turbo to create pressure if you cant use it?

i believe you arent familiar with modern physics, and the absolute gas equationv=nrt

or for those of you that dont understand, (pressure) x (volume) = (number of molecules) x (some constant i forgot the name of) x (temperature)

and the reason why i said people wonder and i did install short route piping is because, like the concept that a bigger exaust pipe will flow more gases, some true facts make their way to the modern uneducated public, (and they feed off that info, which is why you have 5 inch mufflers on the back of civics, which doesnt help, but in there warped and twisted ways of looking at exhaust, it does)... and i installed short route piping because the lower volume will decrease lag, theres no way to get around physics... it will decrease lag, while my fmic will increase it since the volume of that is about 3 times as great as my old intercooler...

im done, if i forgot anything, tell me...

I think you've made my point for me, thanks. You just lost all credibility with those comments. BTW, R is the universal gas constant (8.31 J/mol x K). I've used it a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstkl
pressure drop is not caused by the components of your intake system, the reason why your intercooler has a lower pressure at its outlet than at its inlet is due to the fact that n, and r are constant, and v cannot change at the same rate as t is, so p changes as well as v, (colder air is denser, right? thats why you get a decrease in v with t, but p also drops some as well)
As intake temperature decreases (through your intercooler), your volume doesn't change it's just more dense. Pressure lose IS due to the components in your intake system. Energy is lost through your intercooler and piping due to friction - this is why you see a dP across your intercooler.

Hey everyone, if you don't add an intercooler to your cars you'll see the same pressure at your intake that you did at the outlet of your turbo!!!!

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:01 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member
 

DSM BEEYACH's Avatar
Registered: Jul 2005
Tech Posts: 106
Classifieds Rating: 0
Reputation: DSM BEEYACH is on thin ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96bmwm3
I think you've made my point for me, thanks. You just lost all credibility with those comments. BTW, R is the universal gas constant (8.31 J/mol x K). I've used it a few times.



As intake temperature decreases (through your intercooler), your volume doesn't change it's just more dense. Pressure lose IS due to the components in your intake system. Energy is lost through your intercooler and piping due to friction - this is why you see a dP across your intercooler.

Hey everyone, if you don't add an intercooler to your cars you'll see the same pressure at your intake that you did at the outlet of your turbo!!!!

You Sir are totally correct i'm glad to see someone that knows what there taking about.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman
 

CanadianTSi's Avatar
Registered: Aug 2002
Tech Posts: 4,365
Photos: 13
Classifieds Rating: 2
Reputation: You can trust this leader of the site
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwdturbobov1996
I thought you would also experience slow spool up if the intercooler is too big. Buddy got his fmic before his turbo and t25 spooled 1500 rpm later lol. .

Your friend had a boost leak.

People make too big of a deal about Intercoolers being to big, its just not that big of a problem in reality, maybe a couple hundred rpms of extra lag but that's it.


____________________________
Tyler Webb.
123.26mph on the Stock 7bolt.
View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

 

» Recent DSM Photo
» Current Poll
How many times have you been to the Shootout?
1 - 39.86%
167 Votes
2-5 - 41.77%
175 Votes
6-10 - 10.50%
44 Votes
11-15 - 3.10%
13 Votes
16-20 - 4.77%
20 Votes
Total Votes: 419
You may not vote on this poll.
» Online Users: 833
240 members and 593 guests
Most users ever online was 1,704, 03-17-2008 at 09:11 PM.
DSMtuners Main Sections
DSM Forums
DSM Regional Forums
DSM Builds/Journals
DSM Articles
DSM Tech Guides
DSM Upgrade Paths
DSM Parts Reviews
DSM Vendor Reviews

DSM Classifieds
DSM Parts Guides
DSM Photos
DSM Videos
DSM Timeslips
DSM Dyno Sheets
Shirts & Apparel
DSMtuners Decals

Advertising Info
Our Sponsors
Site Rules
Terms of Service
Privacy Policy
Site FAQ
About Us
Contact Us

© 2014 DSMtuners.com - All Rights Reserved

DSMtuners is not affiliated with Diamond Star Motors. The Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, Mitsubishi Galant VR-4, and associated logos are trademarks of Diamond Star Motors, Mitsubishi Motors, and Chrysler Corporation. No, we do not hand out car sponsorships.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:26 PM.


Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0