The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

what oil should i use [Merged 2-7]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunndilly

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 30, 2002
SellersvillePA
As this compilation of threads illustrates,
IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER WHAT OIL YOU USE.​
It's the twenty-first century. Metallurgy and lubrication science have both taken such astounding leaps over the last fifty years that virtually all the once-true tales of oils and preferences are obsolete.
If you're seriously interested in what goes into, why, how and how much oil, check http://bobistheoilguy.com/

what oil should i use for a 90talon tsi awd during the winter?

Depending on how many miles are already on your car. I've heard that if you have more that 60,000 to just keep the same oil you always put in but I recommend 10W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic. If you do switch to synthetic you might find oil leaking places since its a thinner oil. Hope I have been some help to you. :D

my best friends 3KGT has about 150k on the speedo. Hes starting to get a little lifter tick. We're planning on changing the oil tomorrow, along with some slick 50 and injector cleaner. any suggestions on some heavier weight oil to kill the knock. its also missing a little bit...i dont think slick 50 will cure it. any ideas?

That's a big "NO" on the Slick 50. Put it on the BBQ or something, but not in his engine.

Heavier oil will make lifter tick worse, since it's caused by a lack of flow. However, the correct fix is to remove the lifters and clean them.

It sounds like you want this:

1) Mobil 1. NO ADDITIVES.
2) A new oil filter.
3) New plugs, correctly gapped.

And you might want to pull and clean his lifters (painful process, but worthwhile). I don't know if the 3/S family has a lifter update similar to the DSMs; if it did and his haven't been replaced, that'd make a world of difference.

:cry:

My car leaks or burns oil (can't see an oil patch under the car though and i park in the same spot all the time). I lost about 2 qts of oil in 3 months!!.. and i dont have excessive smoke out of the exhaust either.

I bought the car in November, and got a major tune-up done to it (2 grand worth). The mechanic told me to wait for 500 miles to let his oil "clean the engine out", and then I could put the synthetic oil in it. So I did.. and now 3 months later when I was checking the oil last week it was 2 qts low!! OMG

Some people are telling me that i shouldn't have switched to synthetic oil on my 1G Turbo Talon with 99k miles on it... they say it finds the leaks that regular oil doesnt get through because it's so thin...

Please use the poll (use regular vs. use synthetic) and also let me and other people know what you use/suggest, and why.

I am going to be doing pretty major work to the engine (t3/t4 setup) and plan to be racing it too. This is why i switched to mobil 1 synthetic.. i thought it was necessary when pushing the car like that and also thought it would get the most power out of the engine (due to less restriction)!.. but maybe I was wrong.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Emil

I've heard many different suggestions as to what kind of oil to use. As of now I run Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5w30. I have one friend that runs Royal Purple and another that wont touch it. One guy I know runs conventional 10w40 on a TSi. Just wondering what everyone else is runnin in theirs?

i was running royal purple but my engine crankwalked so now i had to get it rebuilt and i'm not sure what i should run in it after it's broken in and what do ya'll think is better 5w30 or 10w30???

I use 3.5qts Mobil 1 10w30 and 1 quart 20w50. I think that the little thicker oil gives it a little more protection. Next time I might go 2.5 and 2. But always Mobil 1. I wouldn't mind trying Redline or Amsoil its just that it is never available in stores or not that I have seen. I get my Mobil 1 at Costco for ~$24 for 6 quarts

castrol semi synthetic. 5 qts of 10-30. its cheap and it works very well.

I used castrol gtx 10w30 its ok...but I would recommend it I now use valvoline max life non synthetic 10w40, and its the best Ive used so far...better than mobil 1 IMHO. You know that when someone uses non synthetic and then you get ahold of it and start using synthetic that the engine needs some time to get used to the new type of oil. Like seals and such...also dont switch back and forth between the synthetic and non cause thats BAD.

Redline is great but pricey
royal purple and lucas are also great
mobil 1 I will never use againI would use any non synthetic and/or synthetic oil before I use it again.

As you'll see by adding up all these answers and dividing, it really doesn't matter. API Service Grade SG or better, 10W-30 is what the factory book calls for. It also says to run it for 5000 miles in the turbo and replace the filter every 10K, but you'll not find five people here doing that.

You won't get them to realize the brand and type doesn't matter, either.

So you're left with making your own decision about it, in the end. And regardless what that decision is, it won't hurt a thing.

mobil-one 10w30 synthetic

Amsoil 20W-50W racing -- Best investment I have ever made. Gained 25 miles a tank right away (around town) - Turbo spools quicker/ engine is extremely quieter/ Lifter tick is gone (only had a little anyways) - Gone 1000 miles so far. Before Amsoil --- Mobil syn 10W-50W -- The amsoild blows it away :thumb:

was getting 210-220 full tank around town (Venting - I know) w/mobil

Now (as of yesterday) 275 around town. Last tank 255 (1.5 weeks ago)

Don;t want to claim 50 till I see it again.

I'am in no way affiliated with Amsoil at all, did the research invested and they have proven themselves the best - hands down

Originally posted by Pfunk47
Amsoil 20W-50W racing -- Best investment I have ever made. Gained 25 miles a tank right away (around town) - Turbo spools quicker/ engine is extremely quieter/ Lifter tick is gone (only had a little anyways) - Gone 1000 miles so far. Before Amsoil --- Mobil syn 10W-50W -- The amsoild blows it away :thumb:

was getting 210-220 full tank around town (Venting - I know) w/mobil

Now (as of yesterday) 275 around town. Last tank 255 (1.5 weeks ago)

Don;t want to claim 50 till I see it again.

I'am in no way affiliated with Amsoil at all, did the research invested and they have proven themselves the best - hands down

I agree, I definatly like the Amsoil severe service 20W50 I originally broke in the engine with Valvoline non-synthetic and then switched to Amsoil but on the stock engine I always ran valvoline 20W50. Ive done too many oil changes on DSM's running 10W30 and that shit dont cut it in the summer, on numberous occasions last summer, I watched steam come out of the oil bucket as I drained 10W30 out of customer DSM's, to me its too damn thin, in the summer, 20W50 all the way.

Storm

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back