The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Project AWD 2G Spyder

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red_gsx

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 18, 2004
Rockville, Maryland
It's been a while since my 2G GSX ran and now I've decided to get back in to the DSM scene with a project. This weekend I am going up to NYC to take a loot at a 2G GST Spyder with a bad trans. My plan is to snag this Spyder and have it brought back down to Rockville MD (where all of this madness will hopefully soon unfold) and to do a proper build by swapping the AWD parts to the Spyder. I am writing for two main reasons with the first being for technical input from anyone in the area. I've done a little research myself but I want to see if there are any specific pointers out there from people who have either done this or who just have general ideas I should consider. My GSX has been sitting because when I was doing the build on it I was too cocky and tried to do too many things at once and thought that money would win over knowledge. The second reason is to see if anyone would be interested in lending a hand with the build. Right now I don't even have the Spyder but wanted to gauge if I needed a hand if anyone would be interested. It's been a while since I've crawled under a car and all my literature is gone from the computer and the brain. Not looking for a Tom Sawyer painting fences deal or free labor but to re-learn what I forgot, learn some new stuff and to do this with people who keep loving the cars that cost them so much money. Oh and I just thought of a third reason for this post. In the even that I do start this I want to document it so there is another article in the technical column.
If you're reading this far then I've got your attention so I want to know if there is anything in particular I should look for in the donor (Spyder) car I'm planning to see? As I said earlier I'm a bit rusty but I keep remember different spline counts for some reason. I think there was two different spline counts on the input shaft of the trans (36 and 37?) and I need to make sure the block can take it? Apologies ahead of time if I am completely wrong in my terminology. Since my plan is to initially just install the trans in to the Spyder and keep the block I am wondering if there is anything to worry when moving a trans out from the GSX to the Spyder.
Well thanks ahead of time to anyone who responds and I want to once again apologize if I made any statements that made those who know cringe, I'm rusty but willing to re-learn.
Artem

The spline count I believe you refer to is Transfer case. You won't have a problem you have the matching pair. The rest is pretty straight foward with the exception of running the bolts thru car for the rear end. Good LUck, They are fun to drive with the exception of the additional cowl shake ( I would consider a cage of some sort )

Oh yeah transfer case has the splines. Slowly but sure its all coming back. Well I'm going up there this weekend to check it out and if all goes as plans it'll be in the driveway before the month's end. Thanks for the response.

I can't help you with any tech info as far as the swap goes, but i've always wanted to do this and can't wait to see this thread unfold. Good luck man.

Oh yeah transfer case has the splines. Slowly but sure its all coming back. Well I'm going up there this weekend to check it out and if all goes as plans it'll be in the driveway before the month's end. Thanks for the response.

I've never done an awd swap, but I'm not too far from Rockville if you ever need a hand with anything, just pm me! LOL

Either way, good luck with the build dude.

I've done an awd swap on my gst. I haven't done one on a convertible but just about everything is the same for the exception of the bolts for the rear subframe on the spyder. The top frame is in the way. A spot weld drill bit with a few extra tips would help you out quite a bit to get the drive shaft mounts and the shields out of each car. Also you will probably need a welder to weld the shaft mounts into the spyder. It would also help to have an air compressor and die grinder to make it easier to remove the subframe bolts for the gsx. Don't need it but it'll make it a lot faster. Beyond that is pretty well simple hand tools required plug and play. Are both cars a manual? If so that will make it lots and lots easier. I did a fwd auto to awd manual. Shifter cables can stay the same.

If you need any help just send me a pm. I live in Mt. Airy so I could make a trip if you are in need of some help. I've usually only have two days off a week, during the week.

I've done an awd swap on my gst. I haven't done one on a convertible but just about everything is the same for the exception of the bolts for the rear subframe on the spyder. The top frame is in the way. A spot weld drill bit with a few extra tips would help you out quite a bit to get the drive shaft mounts and the shields out of each car. Also you will probably need a welder to weld the shaft mounts into the spyder. It would also help to have an air compressor and die grinder to make it easier to remove the subframe bolts for the gsx. Don't need it but it'll make it a lot faster. Beyond that is pretty well simple hand tools required plug and play. Are both cars a manual? If so that will make it lots and lots easier. I did a fwd auto to awd manual. Shifter cables can stay the same.

If you need any help just send me a pm. I live in Mt. Airy so I could make a trip if you are in need of some help. I've usually only have two days off a week, during the week.

If you do ride up, I want to tag along!! LOL

Oh and check your pm's:sneaky:

Thanks to everyone for the responses and interest. I got back from NYC last night and I saw the car. The next step is to transfer a couple funds from point A to point cash. I will be going up there in two weeks to finalize the sale and have it towed down.
Squeak104 - Both cars are manual, they're even the same color so every thing is interchangeable :0 . I have a buddy with a Celica Alltrack who happens to be a welder and has his own tools. Additionally I plan on doing most of the work via lifts (someone I know also owns a body shop and when another friend has a flatbed tow truck it really helps). Like I said before, all I'm missing is the knowledge and it seems that its coming out in droves here.
95eclipser - thanks for the links. I was hoping to be the first in the area but its nice to know that there's someone out there who's been through the steps already.
Jayman089- Haha I do my rideups in buses and return trips in Amtrak trains so its nothing fancy. Additionally I just checked my pm's and the last one there is from 6/09.
Once again thanks to everyone so far with the interest and the words of wisdom. I'll keep checking the board but next update will most likely be on the 20th of this month. It will include a picture of two dsms facing each other in my driveway ready to play donor and host.

I believe spline counts are 22 and 23. Ive thought about this swap also as there is a turbo spyder that broke a timing belt in my area for 1k. BUT ive heard swapping my GSX drivetrain requires some heavy modifications to accomodate the driveshaft and rear subframe. I could be wrong but thats the word on the street!

My personal opinion - check for excessive rust. If the car has a lot of rust you will spend as much time cleaning it up as the conversion takes - at least I did. My donor was a rust bucket and it took a lot of time scraping, brushing, rust conversion, priming, painting, breaking bolts loose, etc.

Jayman089- Haha I do my rideups in buses and return trips in Amtrak trains so its nothing fancy. Additionally I just checked my pm's and the last one there is from 6/09.
Once again thanks to everyone so far with the interest and the words of wisdom. I'll keep checking the board but next update will most likely be on the 20th of this month. It will include a picture of two dsms facing each other in my driveway ready to play donor and host.

Actually that statement to check your pm's was directed towards squeak:thumb:

But again, if ya need a hand you can hit me up:rocks:

Its been over two weeks but last night the Spyder arrived and got unloaded in the street. Here's a couple pics of the new guest. There are two things that need to be done next with the first being to get it in to the driveway and out the street. The second is to fix the leaky top since the inside was nice and soaked this morning. I imagine that this project finally starting around the mid of the next month. For anyone who wants in on this, for free food/beer/whatever else I'll post up more definitive dates as I get to the point. The GSX might be more entertaining to see under the hood but the Spyder is good if you have a healthy imagination.

Below is the link to the Photobucket pictures. Both cars are in there and I tried to put captions on all the pics. All the goodies inside the engine bay of the GSX would not be getting transferred over in the beginning. The only thing that would be going from the GSX to the Spyder would be all the parts necessary for the trans swap and the s16G since there is no turbo in the Spyder.

Spyder GSX pictures by artem_tb - Photobucket

lemme know if you have some stock body stuff that you're willing to part with ( I want to get rid of this body kit, need front and rear bumpers, and side skirts) And if time matches, id be glad to try and lend a hand.

It seems that I will be paying for helpful services with DSM parts rather than beer and food as originally planned. No worries like any DSM'er I have a pack rat garage where random things can be found. The stock rims off this GS-T are something I would be more than glad to part with in exchange for some extra hands and brains. The body parts is something I'll look in to since I haven't really looked at the Spyder's body too close. I got a couple powder coated stuff sitting in the shed. Off the top of my head there is a 2g exhaust mani, a valve cover (Candy Red) and a spare 2g head, possibly another s16g.
I will keep updating this post when anything worthwhile happens or when I know when I will be devoting a weekend to working on it. Hopefully tomorrow it gets to the driveway so the cherry picker does not have a long commute. Thanks again to everyone who's shown interest, I'll do my best to not have this project flop.

hey, pm me if you need a hand on just about any day, i lost my job yesterday so i dont have anything better to do than lend a hand until i find a new job LOL... i would be interested in those wheels if they arent sold yet... pm me

Well the Spyder is now in the driveway facing the engine bay of the GSX. I went ahead and removed the seats to make some more space inside. One of the supports for the convertible top is busted causing the whole top to sag, creating a gap between the weather stripping and glass, resulting in the leakage. It's time to go grab the shop manuals and see where to pound on.
I think its time to set up an actual date for getting this project off the ground and that would be two weeks from now on the 24th. I will be starting around 10ish to put the GSX on stands and begin removing parts for the swap from the undercarriage. If anyone still wishes to come join the festivities post up here or PM me with what you want to eat and drink and if you want anything for your time. Unless weather rains it out the 24th is Day 1 for this. In the meantime feel free to check out the PhotoBucket album, there's a couple new ones.
Artem

Spyder GSX pictures by artem_tb - Photobucket

Im still down for helping out, just let me know if i need to bring anything, Im down for edible food and some beer! Ill lend all helping hands I can and the minimal knowledge that i have of these cars

Looks like tomorrow is getting rained out with a forecast of 80% chance of rain. Next weekend is Halloween weekend, this means very little to me since I'll be handing out candy instead getting blasted at a bar. If anyone is down for the next Saturday I would be more than happy to work but if people are too busy then November 7th is when the next attempt at getting this off the ground will take place.

I'd like to help but work is keeping me way too busy. Next Saturday I'm working all day and the weekend of the 7th I'll be in Indiana so that's out for me too. Sorry dude.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back