The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

big block in a 1g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

93ETGOCART

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 28, 2008
stotts city, Missouri
i know there was a guy that put a small block chevy in one but im thinking a 5.0 H/O five speed tranny with a 9" rear end. gut the whole thing as much as possible and then a full roll cage of course, then make a full sheet metal front skin welding the front bumper, fenders, and hood together as one piece. maybe even cf what do you guys think is lighter? and what is the best way about making the doors and hatch lighter, go with tubing, and a sheet metal skin with a net window, or cf, or fiberglass?

idk why not i mean the same thought occurred to me. but id have to take out the interior to weld in the roll cage. and i want to brace the rest of the car fully in case of a wreck, and to help prevent body warp. and i dont want to put it all back in around it. and of course ill be going with racing seats that are made for the 5 point harness and i only need one seat. a stereo would have to be massive to hear it so there is no point and im ###### gonna tub the rear end to fit some massive tires. wheelie bar might be a good idea too.

im thinking a 5.0 H/O five speed tranny with a 9" rear end
A 5.0 H/O is not a big block....it's an engine that struggles to get a Mustang into the 12's in stock form.

I see posts like this all the time and I really can't understand why anyone would do this much work to a car with a drivetrain that is proven to get into the 10's with little to no modification at all. To each their own I suppose.

Good luck with the build (if it ever happens).

ok those mustangs you speak of are much heavier im sure. and its because at heart i know the more blue oval parts under the hood the less breakage there is gonna be besides who can if you could make you car use two 420a's would you? i know if i could i would. but a 5.0 h/o crate motor makes alot more sense. especially when you throw a couple turbo's on it and a big shot of nos

ok those mustangs you speak of are much heavier im sure. and its because at heart i know the more blue oval parts under the hood the less breakage there is gonna be besides who can if you could make you car use two 420a's would you? i know if i could i would. but a 5.0 h/o crate motor makes alot more sense. especially when you throw a couple turbo's on it and a big shot of nos

Why not save the trouble of completely redesigning a DSM to fit a Mustang engine, and just buy a Mustang?

If your going to do this, please, at least start with an fwd, preferably a 93 or 94 1.8L. Sounds like an interesting project, and if your fabbing the whole frame, you might as well start with the slowest version out there instead of taking a GS-T or GSX off the road. Not to mention there's a lot less to strip out of the 1.8L, and you would probably have a non-power steering, non-power windows, and no ac version, making it even lighter to start with.

I think I'm going to throw a Ferrari engine in my car and convert to midengine, but also make it awd too.

ok those mustangs you speak of are much heavier im sure.
The curb weight of a '94 5.0 is around 3500lb, so they have about 300lb on an AWD DSM.

its because at heart i know the more blue oval parts under the hood the less breakage there is gonna be
That's incredibly racist.

If you truly believe a car that you will build entirely on your own with a Ford engine and tons of custom-fabbed parts and wiring will be more reliable than a stock or mildly-modded DSM, then you are obviously a member of the wrong forum.

but a 5.0 h/o crate motor makes alot more sense. especially when you throw a couple turbo's on it and a big shot of nos
Ummm....(you can do that to a 4G63 also).

Whatever you think- it's your time and money. Just keep in mind that whenever you're done there will still be a pile of cars with four less cylinders that make more power and run faster ET's. DSMTimes.org - Home

Yeah, since when has a 302 been a big block? LOL

The 4G63t engine is the best feature on our cars. Swapping to a different engine just kills the spirit of DSMing.

but wait he said he knows about the blue oval so he must know the the 302 SMALL block is not a Big Block.

Ah hell I might just put a detroit diesel series 60 and swap that into my dsm because that makes more sense then what that op is thinking of.

Just sell your 420a turd and buy a fox body turd and go out to the drag strips and have a 4g63t car walk you down the track as you spin tires at the tree.

what are your plans for the front end suspention and steering? Maybe fab in a mustang front end and K member?

The Good Lord knows I bleed Ford Blue.... So the 5.0l idea is entertaing to me. Even with what little knowlage I have on DSM's, It sounds like a huge undertaking.
Do you have the nessary fab skills needed to do this project? and equipment?
and if this is some bench racing you and you boys have come up with.... whay stop with a 302? why not a 347 stroker? or get a 351w? or build a stoker windsor? go 393? 408? or the massive 427?
all those engine builds would fit in the same space as a 5.0l HO.
BuT I will say when you pop the hood with a small block under the hood the "wow" factor would be great.
what year HO would you use? most HO in the mustangs were rated to about 225hp.... to me it would be much more cost efftive to build a stout 4G63T to get those HP numbers.

Fords have been very reliable for me. But you sir, are replacing a motor that makes 210hp with one that makes 227. Unless you have mad cash, i wouldn't bother with it. And your dsm will probably weigh more after you throw in your small block, and rear. Honestly i don't believe it's worth the trouble. The ford engine may be simpler in the end to work on and tune. But the engine that we have designed for our cars is the best one you can have in it. Not to mention your car will handle like total shit with all that weight thrown in the front. Please post up pics if you do decide to do it though. It would be a very interesting thing to look at.

are you going to spend the money to have a custom drive shaft built? becasue something out of a ford ranger wont work, and how are you going to have any traction and if you do how are you going to keep the front end stable? watch some videos of some uilt vegas or something and watch the bumpers say hello to the stars, what do you think a dsm would do? probably shoot straight up and then slam down destroying the whole car, and can dsm bodys even support that much weight to power ratio? i mean best wishes if you do decide to do it, and more power to ya if you do pull it off but dont dsms have enough problems already? hopefully someone agrees with my thinking on this.:confused:

well if you thought a 5.0 is a big block then your lack of knowledge should get you no where when doing this project
and its not as easy as throwing a tt kit and nitrous on the car
most of the people that i talked to who turboed their 5.0s have more than just a stock 5.0 they usually machine them to at least a 331 stroker
and before i got myself into the dsm world i was into 5.0s and i have built a couple and its not at all what mostt people think
parts are expensive and once something breaks you need 2 people there to help you fix it.

A 5.0 H/O is not a big block....it's an engine that struggles to get a Mustang into the 12's in stock form.
but a 5.0 h/o crate motor makes alot more sense. especially when you throw a couple turbo's on it and a big shot of nos
Right there is 2 things i just read that he has NO idea what he is doing. I have personally seen someone put about $2,000 into a DSM and go mid 12's. Bigger is not always better. And NOS is a brand of nitrous for all of you Fast & Furious wanna be's. I only had about 450HP and walked Rustangs all day long with NO NITROUS.

he reminds me of a young new member not too long ago named lofty...

I didn't realize this was the same guy that wants to make a drift, show, drag and DD cars LOL

i wouldnt hack up a dsm to put a 5.0 in it, unless you had a fully built 5.0 and a couple snails sitting around, and a dsm chassis/shell in the corner of the yard, and you were really bored and had some fab skills. Then again you called a 302ci motor a big block, so i question if you have the where-with-all to pull off such a feat in the first place.

so many other cars i would like to see with a 5.0/LS1 swap that would have some real "whoa" factor when someone sees it pull up to the staging lanes tubbed and chubbed. a DSM only has that "whoa" factor when it makes it to the end of the quarter under its own means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back