The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Staying Cool without A/C?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pneumo

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 19, 2002
Bay Area, California
Summers here and it's getting hot. My car is running good so I'm driving it to the track more. Problem is, I don't have A/C and it's almost a two hour drive. How do you guys stay cool on long, hot drives? I'm planning on taking a cooler with a couple of chilled waterbottles. What else can I do? I already got my short summer haircut. :) Does window tint help? Thanks for any tips!

Man it can get plenty hot here in the Bay. Especially south bay I can imagine going to sac. My "nice" 95 gsx doesn't blow cold air, I have to refill it, but since I hardly drive it, I said forget it. But when I bought my daily drive 95 gsx, first thing I did on the test drive was to MAKE SURE the A/C and the cruise control works. Very essential components for me on a daily driver. I can not hang during the hot days, espcially with the leather.

Before I use to avoid using the A/C to save gas, but f-that. Anyways, what I use to do is just roll down the windows and go. Eventually it will get "less hot" and your body will adapt to it. However, there are those days when even the WIND blowing is hot.. well on those days, envy the guys who have working A/C :)

The Faster you Drive the more air you'll get...:)

Have a cold case of beer next to you... (not illegal or anything...)

Drive naked with an icepack under your testicles.

alright im gonna give some GOOD info...

alright here in panama city it gets hot as balls and i sweat my ass off driving anywhere in the middle of the day.

first thing is first.
1. wear shorts
2. wear wife beaters untill you get to your location. then put whatever shirt you want to wear over it.
3.deodorant is a MUST
4.windows STAY DOWN.
5.hang your hand out the window to get some air circulating

thats all i can think of at the moment. while you still sweat your ass off it helps to at least be some what presentable at your desired location...:thumb:

Fix your AC?

IMO the gains for removing the AC and its weight far outweight roasting alive inside your vehicle, especially here in cali. if i lived somewhere cooler, then yeah. but i would literally go apeshit if i didnt have AC. here i bought my GSX knowing it wouldnt work, and much to my amazement, its the only GSX i know that has a running AC.

Get a roof scoop, cut a hole in your roof... thatw ill get some nice air in the car ;)

When I was down in Arizona I had a problem with my A/C in my Jetta, rolling the windows down helped me a lot! I came from Alaska too so the climate change was huge and I did fine!

Yeah I can't stand the fact I have no A/C in the summertime. But oh well.

Honestly, if you get a compressed can of air (retail store for a couple bucks) and turn it upside down, you'll get a frosty mist of VERY cold air once you spray it. It's pretty refreshing after sitting in traffic for a while. Just leave it on the floor in your backseat or something. I even use it at the track when I'm staging. If you spray it on your intercooler it will actually frost over for your run. Just don't spray the can while it's upside down TOO long. Might explode on you. Seriously.

Yeah I can't stand the fact I have no A/C in the summertime. But oh well.

Honestly, if you get a compressed can of air (retail store for a couple bucks) and turn it upside down, you'll get a frosty mist of VERY cold air once you spray it. It's pretty refreshing after sitting in traffic for a while. Just leave it on the floor in your backseat or something. I even use it at the track when I'm staging. If you spray it on your intercooler it will actually frost over for your run. Just don't spray the can while it's upside down TOO long. Might explode on you. Seriously.

It's also very dangerous to inhale.. So i'd say dont spray in near or on yourself...

Window tint will help you out a good bit, not in direct heat reduction but at least with the UV rays and thats what cooks you any way. Now if its just F-in hot then yeah....not much there to do other than what was stated

Build a roll cage. Seal the entire thing. Fill the tubing with CO2. Install purge jets on hoop above driver's head and passengers head. Put on hat. Blast icy cold CO2 on self.

Not responsible for frostbite, brainfreezes, or anything else weird that might happen.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back