The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Evo 8-10 Brembo Calipers DSM Conversion (for 1g too)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmv

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 5, 2004
I had a lot request from the 1g members to come up with a brackets solution to mount Evo 8 Brembo with evo 12.6" rotors on. After some R&D I came up with method. This method is much easier than my previous method for 2g. No modifying to knuckles, just some porting to calipers is needed instead. No machining is needed too; every thing here could be done at home with the right tool.

Here's some picture too show you the concept, 2g knuckles is used for mock up. On 1g it will be mounted on the same way too. 1G also has the option to flip the bracket up to clock the calipers more upward. Once the calipers is modded and with this bracket it could be mounted on any DSM format brake set up such as the Avenger/Sebring and???

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This section was ported out with a die grinder. I over worked this section as you can see I could have gotten away with less porting.
If you have access to a milling machine, it would only take a few seconds to clear this section. It would also give much cleaner look\cut too but no one looks behind your calipers anyway.

One of the 2 mounting ear has to be tap. The factory hole diameter was perfect for an M14x1.5 tap. You can also use the bracket to help make straight tap.

The brackets was cnc cut out of 1\2" steel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just PM with your address and i'll give you a quote.

There just for the front brakes only. The rear evo brembo are a simple bolt on for 2g and dont't know if its the same for 1g. Some one on this board could help answer that question.

You get the 12.6" rotors from the same car where these calipers came off of. LOL Stock 1g is rotors are 10.8" for the AWD model and a bit smaller for FWD.

I have been trying to find a deal on evo rears to try on my 1g but i havent had any luck yet. Do these brackets move the caliper out far enough to fit a rotor larger then the 12.6 evo rotor?

I have been trying to find a deal on evo rears to try on my 1g but i havent had any luck yet. Do these brackets move the caliper out far enough to fit a rotor larger then the 12.6 evo rotor?

Yes These brackets will position the calipers perfectly for evo 8\9 rotors.
here is a pic from a member(miniturbo23) that has already used my brackets to put evo brembo on. I will upload some more pictures with complete rotors latter on.
105381d1263861440-2g-evo-x-9-8-brembo-without-jdm-knuckles-my-talon.jpg

Would also like to see pics of a complete install. Also, what is the smallest wheel that can be used with this setup?

Well you posted before I did. Got any of your mock up fully assembled

How do they work with back spacing and what not? How much to 19510? Same as the previous version?

Nice design setup. Will you be able to show your bracket and caliper on a 1G, is there any clearance issues with the lower ball joint on the 1G?

I will try getting some pictures on 1g latter on. The 2g knuckle has much worst ball joint clearance than 1g since it has 2 of them. It clears on the 2g knuckles ball joint with lots of room left over, than I am 100% sure it will clear 1g knuckles too. 1g has more knuckles top clearance, so it has option to flip the bracket upside down,to mount the calipers clock more upwards.

Attachments

• 1gknuckle.jpg
    1gknuckle.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 18,942
  • ctsv1gg.jpg
    ctsv1gg.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 18,846
I will try getting some pictures on 1g latter on. The 2g knuckle has much worst ball joint clearance than 1g since it has 2 of them. It clears the 2g knuckles ball joint with lost space left over, than I am 100% sure it will clear 1g knuckles too.
On a 1g, the rotor thickness/offset combo often interferes with the lower (only) ball joint unless provisions are made to move the rotor and caliper a bit outboard. Then the caliper interferes with the backside of many wheels.

Most combinations for 1g's are limited to a 1.1" thick rotor combined with thin-ish calipers for this reason, please test fit your setup before assuming that it'll fit.

yes the rotors is moved outboard, The evo rotors offset does move the rotors 15mm further away from the knuckles. You also have to use 17" rims min with the offset Similar to the stock evo wheels other wise have to use spacer to clear calipers from the backside of the rims. If you use stock evo rims, it will have no clearance problem, i have already seen evo 8\9 wheels on 1g on this forums before. I'm not assuming things, I worked on 1g and had compare them both, they have more clearance then 2g if every single aspect, Especially in the ball joint area. Just don't expect using stock dsm wheels to fit over these calipers then you be ok. Don't know if this picture prove any thing because it an evo 3 knuckles it might be the same as 1g knuckles or look very similar. This picture is borrow from trkProformance to show the evo 8 12.6" rotors on the knuckles.

yes the rotors is move outboard, The evo rotors offset does move the rotors 15mm further away from the knuckles. You also have to use 17" rims min with the offset Similar to the stock evo wheels other wise have to use spacer to clear calipers from the backside of the rims. If you use stock evo rims than i am sure it will have no clearance problem, i have already seen evo 8\9 wheels on 1g on this forums before.
Ok, cool. I had EVO wheels for a spell too. :hellyeah:

I'm guessing those are evo wheels in your avatar picture underradar92; looks great on dsm. You are lucky you got them cheap, the lowest i've seen evo 8\9 mr bbs go for near me is over $1K.

Would also like to see pics of a complete install. Also, what is the smallest wheel that can be used with this setup?
Well you posted before I did. Got any of your mock up fully assembled

As requested pictures of a complete mock up fully assembled.

Attachments

• DSC00196.JPG
    DSC00196.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 4,924
  • DSC00190.JPG
    DSC00190.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 4,870
I don't remember the technical number difference was. All i can tell you is i went from rusty 15 years old calipers with worn out pads to evo 4 piston brembo.
The difference was night and day in terms of torque and pedal feel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back