Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Handling Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Handling Tech: 4G63 suspension, steering, brakes, tires, lightweight wheels, bushings, etc.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2004, 12:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 242
Classifieds Rating: 0
Question

how do you roll your fenders? [Merged 11-7] rolling fender

i see this alot when talking about lowering...what all does it intale?

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 05:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 70
Photos: 4
Send a message via AIM to Spartan302
I know a lot of vw people that roll their fenders and most of them use a baseball bat. Not something i myself would attempt to do. I did a search and found this http://www.gti-vr6.net/library/wheel...g_fenders.html

Its for vw cars but i'm sure you could find some of it useful.

Keith
View photos of this member's car 

Old 04-21-2004, 10:59 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 175

Rolling fenders in Seattle, WA

After putting on some new rims and rubber. I have discovered that i have a rubbing issue in the rear tire wells (especially the passenger side).

I am trying to find a shop that can roll the fenders and I wont have to worry about paint damage. I have heard alot of guys just use a wodden bat, and use the knob as the contact, and the tire itself as the fulcrum. But I have seen an example of the paint spidering due to shoddy rolling.

Where in the Seattle. WA are can i trust somebody to roll the fenders?

Ryan-

Old 04-21-2004, 01:02 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: Porsche Boxster S
Tech Posts: 2,695
Photos: 10
Classifieds Rating: 1
Reputation: wret is a DSMtuners Expertwret is a DSMtuners Expertwret is a DSMtuners Expertwret is a DSMtuners Expertwret is a DSMtuners Expertwret is a DSMtuners Expertwret is a DSMtuners Expert
Typically you roll only the flange that sticks out inside the lip of the fender, though I guess if you got aggressive enough, you could actually move the whole quarter panel.

And yes, you use the bat as a lever and your tire as a fulcrum to bend the flange. It's much easier if you clip it every couple inches with some heavy tin snips. Also, if you don't have an old bat, steel electrical conduit works great too. Only about five bucks for 1.25 x 10 ft.

Old 04-21-2004, 10:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 157
Photos: 2
Classifieds Rating: 2
Send a message via AIM to Golden4g63child
Like Wret said, get a wooden bat a shove it in the rear fender (so the bat makes contact with the rubber and the fender), then just let your car roll slowly forward or backwards and it should bend up the little lip on your rear fenders. That what I did and I don't rub anymore! *By the way, I seen you around before on 520!)

Old 11-23-2007, 03:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 1,311
Photos: 14
Classifieds Rating: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to NeMiZiS
2G-specific

How to "roll" fenders

OK, I have searched and found one thread , that had a link that explains how to do this with pictures, But the link is old and doesn't go anywhere.Does any one have pictures of them rolling their fenders?... I've read several different ways of rolling them, baseball bat , rubber hammer , etc. How many ways are there to do this?...I don't want to try it and end up have some manhandled looking fenders..........

Old 11-23-2007, 04:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 686
Photos: 16
Hope you know what this crazy is saying.
YouTube - DIY Arch Rolling Japanese Style

Old 11-23-2007, 04:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 686
Photos: 16
another. useing a fender roller tool.
YouTube - fender rolling civic

YouTube - rolling the 8's fenders

Old 11-23-2007, 05:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 91
Send a message via AIM to onegeenewbie
Wooden baseball bat and heat (hairdryer/heatgun)

But really, a fender roller works the best if you can get your hands on one.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:10 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 25,202
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 2
Also, and FAQ regarding 2G fender rolling:
FAQ - Fender Flange Rolling Criteria Matrix
Visit Defiant's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 11-25-2007, 07:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 414
Photos: 9
Classifieds Rating: 4
Send a message via AIM to TrboANTsi
Im not sure if it was stated before, but rolling the fenders on a 2g is different then possibly 1gs and most other cars. The fenders of my talon are rounded front and back. i took my car to a shop knowing that but i had no choice because everytime i hit a bump the tire would catch and pull out my fender. with it being round there no real line to follow when rolling and they used the same machine in all those videos the rear came out somewhat decent because there was a slight line to follow. Im going to be getting new fenders soon and pland and cutting the lip off then painting before installing the front fenders.
Visit TrboANTsi's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 11-26-2007, 05:41 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: Porsche Boxster S
Tech Posts: 2,695
Photos: 10
Reputation: wret is a DSMtuners Expertwret is a DSMtuners Expertwret is a DSMtuners Expertwret is a DSMtuners Expertwret is a DSMtuners Expertwret is a DSMtuners Expertwret is a DSMtuners Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrboANTsi View Post
Im not sure if it was stated before, but rolling the fenders on a 2g is different then possibly 1gs and most other cars. The fenders of my talon are rounded front and back. i took my car to a shop knowing that but i had no choice because everytime i hit a bump the tire would catch and pull out my fender. with it being round there no real line to follow when rolling and they used the same machine in all those videos the rear came out somewhat decent because there was a slight line to follow. Im going to be getting new fenders soon and pland and cutting the lip off then painting before installing the front fenders.
1. Unless you need to fit tires wider than 255's, and you have them on the proper offset wheels, there is no need to roll anything except the flange in the rear fenders.
2. Don't cut the flange. It's a structural part of the unibody.
3. The front fenders don't have flanges.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 801
Classifieds Rating: 3
ok wanted to bring this back and ask where esactly i had to roll. flange?? pix?

Old 07-15-2010, 06:00 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 335
Photos: 8
Send a message via ICQ to CODE4 Send a message via AIM to CODE4
This.

RollYourFender.Com - Home - Fast, Easy, & Affordable Professional Fender Lip Roller Rental

Now: 2012 2500HD

Old 07-15-2010, 07:15 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 100
Photos: 22
Send a message via AIM to Red 4G63
My rear fenders are close to scrapping when I drop the air ride, and because I want to get the rims to tuck, I'm going to need to roll them. So I decided to just buy this Fender Finisher and Heat Gun Kit off their ebay site, for the same price as on their website... Let's see how it works!! I'll post back the results, once it's delivered and I use it. Seemed like a good deal with both roller and heat gun! I could use a heat gun for many different things, so I figured "why the heck not!".

Old 07-15-2010, 07:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

Tech Posts: 1,585
Photos: 12
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 38
the fender finisher wont get the job done especially on the rear of a 2g its called a "finisher" because its sopposed to be used to finish the job after a roller was already used

and i know this because i had my fenders rolled to fit my 245/40/17's

Visit black_gst's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 07-15-2010, 10:54 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

yeah i see what trying to get rolled. how much is it to get it done at a body shop?? has anyone gone that route?

Old 07-15-2010, 10:57 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

Tech Posts: 1,585
Photos: 12
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 38
for me there this local guy that does all four for $80 and he does nice work he did mine and im really happy

Visit black_gst's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 07-15-2010, 11:44 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

think i might call around first and see .. and if its too much ill try it..